No cognition

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
Hello
What is the difference between Alzheimers and Dementia and what are the short term and long term symptoms of both?

Thank you
An interesting question, and one to which I've been trying to find an answer. This morning I got it, from my wife's Nuclear SPECT scan. Took the impressive colour photo album an associated CD to her neurologist. He said that it is not possible to really make a distinction between them. In our case he diagnosed mid stage vascular dementia and alzheimer together.
The short term symptons are basically memory loss, loss of cognition, and sudden mood swings.
keep smiling,
malomm

JTSA

Jan 29, 2011
Read up on auditory processing disorder

I have CADASIL, early stage genetic arteriopathy with stroke as a lovely side effect. I was diagnosed with APD years before I found out I had CADASIL. Read, "When the Brain Can't Hear". I know of others in the Dementia community who tried expensive hearing aids to no avail. The brain loses the abilit to make sense of sound, and often people talking sounds like gibberrish. Very frustrating. I need to read lips to gain better comprehension but with my cognitive impairments, it is getting so hard to stay focused. lao, I have hyperaccusis and noise bothers me because my brain cannot prioritize sound so I ge everything at once which keeps me irritable and agitated. Hope this answer is helpful.

QUOTE=Chuggalug;961871]Hi everyone.

This is really hard to describe. My hubby can still talk, but he cannot seem to understand anything I say when I answer. If I could give a one word answer, it might work. But the responses to things like: "I can't get my computer to work (he still uses XP) are hard to reply to.

He doesn't actually USE the PC. It became habit just to power it up, as that's what he's done for many years! I still find him sitting in front of the screen, occasionally, but he doesn't have enough cognition to know what to do with it, now.

He is very deaf, but does dementia affect how a person hears as well? Has anyone else come up with the difficulty of not being able to reply to their OH?

Man, but it's difficult, this disease :([/QUOTE]

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
JTSA, that perfectly describes the experiences of a lot of people with dementia, I think! The sensitivity to noise, inability to "filter" etc. And as dementia is causing damage to the brain, and we don't understand it completely, I think "brain deaf" rather than something wrong with the ear part of hearing makes perfect sense.

Sent from my C1905 using Talking Point mobile app

SoyHJ

Mar 16, 2013
Thank you again re your posts on sensitivity to sound. With my OH this comes and goes in phases. It would be nice to listen to the radio in the kitchen without having to put my head next to it :rolleyes: With the volume any higher, he becomes annoyed.
Is it usual for this hypersensitivity to come and go?

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Thank you SueJ so much for your great insight and eloquent explanations into your illness which in turn helps us carers with no prior training /preparation. When I mentioned that my caree was so deaf to memory nurse, but that at times hypersensitive to sounds, she seemed surprised.
On a bad day, every noise appears to be magnified out of proportion. Eg when washing up, I am accused of breaking the plates! News or commentaries are hard to listen to with constant'what a noise, what rubbish! Means I don't get to enjoy much tv. I got a film from library and for first time watched it to accompaniment of 'that's not funny-rubbish. ' also find gets alarmed by everyday sounds such as washing machine, kettle. I will never know if it is the Va D or the fact that these sounds weren't heard for so many years prior to getting top notch nhs aids. Also frequencies not heard normally are heard but synthetically and dr at time did warn they produce distortion.
This morning I forgot to take aids out for morning sleep and got accused of trampling up and down the stairs in clodhoppers on purpose and during wash was then told I was a spoilt brat which upset as I put life life on hold. Later she could not remember calling me that. This week has been bad and white urine bottle was negative for UTI so heat I guess. Cancelled dr appt as I know it's not the chest.
Thank you once again for your great help and I hope that you soon find any lost items. Enjoy the sunshine!

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Thank you SueJ so much for your great insight and eloquent explanations into your illness which in turn helps us carers with no prior training /preparation. When I mentioned that my caree was so deaf to memory nurse, but that at times hypersensitive to sounds, she seemed surprised.
On a bad day, every noise appears to be magnified out of proportion. Eg when washing up, I am accused of breaking the plates! News or commentaries are hard to listen to with constant'what a noise, what rubbish! Means I don't get to enjoy much tv. I got a film from library and for first time watched it to accompaniment of 'that's not funny-rubbish. ' also find gets alarmed by everyday sounds such as washing machine, kettle. I will never know if it is the Va D or the fact that these sounds weren't heard for so many years prior to getting top notch nhs aids. Also frequencies not heard normally are heard but synthetically and dr at time did warn they produce distortion.
This morning I forgot to take aids out for morning sleep and got accused of trampling up and down the stairs in clodhoppers on purpose and during wash was then told I was a spoilt brat which upset as I put life life on hold. Later she could not remember calling me that. This week has been bad and white urine bottle was negative for UTI so heat I guess. Cancelled dr appt as I know it's not the chest.
Thank you once again for your great help and I hope that you soon find any lost items. Enjoy the sunshine!

I am pleased it helps Oxy. My friend has something called TV ears which connects to TV, you can get two headsets that will charge in one unit so you could both watch it comfortably together maybe.
http://www.homecare-products.co.uk/tv-ears/?gclid=CK3Bobfb7b8CFazItAod8CcAMA

Your caree is very lucky to have you.:)
Best wishes to you both
Sue

Nasus

May 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Hello, and thanks to all who have posted.
My father had 'mixed' dementia. he had perfect hearing ( probably much better than mine as I have tinnitus). I was his carer for about 5 years as well as his daughter. All the posts correspond to what I have experienced. I learnt as a carer to accept that what my father said was what he experienced. I could not change that or ask him to 'listen again'.
I learnt a lot from this. I'm just sorry that communication seems to be the biggest problem between those with dementia and carers. We learn a lot, but can't change what is happening in the brain.
I'm glad my father no longer has to struggle against this disease as he died last year and hope that a cure or long term treatment can be found soon. Love to all.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Thought as much, I'd be the same:D he's really saying, 'Someone's stolen my ability to use the computer'

Believe you me, I would believe what has happened - I have been saying for a while now to some, 'If you find my head can you bring it back to me?':D

For me it is a bit of both, I really can't hear (Yet I also hear things that disturb me - that are real - but appear not to bother others:rolleyes:) in a bad phase and sometimes I need to hear something again to be able to process it.

Mornings are definately better for me, as is the month of July, or so it seems going by the last two years. Sun, daylight has a big influence.

Glad it helps others by sharing it:)

Sue, thankyou, you explain things so well, and it's so helpful. I just asked my husband about the needing to hear something twice in order to process it, and he agreed completely. So now, when he says "pardon?" I'll understand better that I don't necessarily need to raise my voice but simply repeat what I said.

Lifebuoy44

Jun 21, 2014
Sleaford, Lincs
Thank you, Sue

Sue, it is so helpful to receive "the other viewpoint" and I am grateful for your insight into what my Wife is experiencing. I will now endeavour to put into practice every opportunity to allow her to re-visit old skills and maintain as much independence as she indicates she wants, rather than just doing it myself for speed and convenience. I wish you every blessing, now and always. Thank you.

Hi Chuggalug

This disease is very difficult. I have periods when my cognition and understanding are better, they are now, but when they are poor my own struggle with words reflects my inability to understand or take in others responses and all I need and can cope with are one word or few word answers eg. in your example I could cope with a reply like 'No, not today', this for me would show me that someone understood I was struggling, that it was a bad day and therefore not a good one for tackling anything too much with high cognitive demands.

I have learnt, am learning that 'habit' e.g your husband powering up the PC is a useful tool for me and try to have realistic habits to maintain some daily structure e.g. making my bed (prior to my symptoms I did this too but it never bothered me if it didn't happen) now it helps me to maintain abilities and regain some that were lost at the start of all this. I am aware I am younger than a lot of people with this disease so it may be harder in years to come.

When I was first affected I lost so many skills on the computer and realised my brain was under onslaught so gave myself simple things to do on the computer like online puzzles with not too many pieces, I think it was vital for me to retain some computer skills, or any cognitive skills. I wanted to and did get rid of most of my books as I could not longer read, that has improved, which I never thought it would, but is variable.

I wonder if your husband now has no computer skills what would happen if the computer were moved out of sight? Maybe it would make things worse?

My hearing is affected, I went for hearing tests to be told nothing is wrong:rolleyes:, however, this too is worse at some times more than others - hence people's misperceptions at times when they think I am ignoring them on purpose, I am not.

Sorry if not helpful. It is so challenging.:(
Best wishes
Sue

tomgee3425

Feb 3, 2014
Negombo Sri Lanka
Hearing ability

My wife's hearing has become phenomenal but she can't see a cup on the table. She also can't see the floor so walking is difficult and descending steps a nightmare. Anyone else have this problem?

Bootneck@18

Jul 14, 2011
Yeovil, Somerset
Visual Problems for people with Dementia

[I'm not sure that this Link will work as TP is telling me I've not made at least 10 posts since I joined, but if it doesn't work, log on to The Alzheimer's Soc website and search under "Visual Perception". There is a Factsheet which explains the sight and vision problems people with Dementia can have.

Bootneck@18

Jul 14, 2011
Yeovil, Somerset
An extract from the Factsheet

Visuoperceptual difficulties in people with dementia
The specific difficulties a person experiences will depend on the type of dementia they have. This is because each type of dementia can damage the visual system in a different way.

Difficulties may include:

•decreased sensitivity to differences in contrast (including colour contrast such as black and white, and contrast between objects and background)
•reduced ability to detect movement
•changes to the visual field (how much you can see around the edge of your vision, while looking straight ahead)
•reduced ability to detect different colours (for example, a person may have problems telling the difference between blue and purple)
•changes to the reaction of the pupil to light
•problems directing or changing gaze
•problems with the recognition of objects, faces and colours
•loss of ability to name what has been seen
•double vision
•problems with depth perception.
Dementia can also result in difficulties with orientation. This in turn can lead to:

•bumping into things
•swerving to avoid door frames
•difficulties reaching for things within the visual environment (such as a cup of tea or door handle)
•getting lost or disorientated, even in familiar environments.

phoebe101

Dec 9, 2013
Portsmouth
hello

hi
have you tried writing your responses to him? I know it may sound simple but some people with demntia (especially if they have hearing problems) can read fine, try making you response bold and clear. Hope this helps.

Phoebe
Dementia support worker

linddylou

Feb 20, 2014
northamptonshire
trazodone

My husband has been prescribed trazodone to calm him down, it seems to have the opposite effect, does anyone have experience of this drug on someone with Alzheimer's.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
hi
have you tried writing your responses to him? I know it may sound simple but some people with demntia (especially if they have hearing problems) can read fine, try making you response bold and clear. Hope this helps.

Phoebe
Dementia support worker

Maybe up to a point. In the late stages though, I have found that most have lost the ability to read. Or maybe (like my husband can) can read a word or two, but the comprehension isn't there. Or, I sometimes think, it's that he can read one word at a time, but by the time he gets to the next word, the first word is lost to him.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My husband has been prescribed trazodone to calm him down, it seems to have the opposite effect, does anyone have experience of this drug on someone with Alzheimer's.

My husband has been on this for years. 150 mg per day (broken into two doses). Thankfully, it does calm him down. But people react different to different medications - my daughter, for example, gets wired to the moon if she takes ibuprofen! To the extent that she can't drive or do anything! Totally spaced! :D Maybe talk to your husband's doctor about trying something else?

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
My mother has Vascular Dementia and is also very deaf. She appears to have very similar cognition problems to your husband. Sometimes this is worse than others. At times I realise she has actually heard me but is not able to comprehend what I mean. It sometimes helps to repeat the message in another way - in short phrases.

It might be possible to just say to your husband that he is unable to use his computer now because he has memory problems. He may accept this as a short term answer.

He was started on an antibiotic and was given olive oil to put in his ears. He will no longer use the oil! Swings n roundabout, ain't it! Thanks JadeFern :) He really cannot hear, nor comprehend, now, so I'll just have to grin and bear that.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Hello, and thanks to all who have posted.
My father had 'mixed' dementia. he had perfect hearing ( probably much better than mine as I have tinnitus). I was his carer for about 5 years as well as his daughter. All the posts correspond to what I have experienced. I learnt as a carer to accept that what my father said was what he experienced. I could not change that or ask him to 'listen again'.
I learnt a lot from this. I'm just sorry that communication seems to be the biggest problem between those with dementia and carers. We learn a lot, but can't change what is happening in the brain.
I'm glad my father no longer has to struggle against this disease as he died last year and hope that a cure or long term treatment can be found soon. Love to all.

And love back to you, Nasus. Thank you for commenting, xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey