GPS Success stiory

Badietta

Feb 23, 2013
Hi there

Smart phone I understand, but GPS tracker? What is this? Is this a UK only facility? We live in Italy and 2 weeks ago I spent 2 and a half hours searching for him in a cruise port (we'd gone to meet friends) only to find him eventually, beyond the ferry terminal, in the Container port. He was in the most awful state. His mobile phone "wouldn't work" - he'd forgotten that he had to press 'send'. I'll do anything not to put either of us through this again.

Badietta

simpknt

Jan 8, 2013
Gps

GPS is Global Positioning System. It uses satellites to establish your position. A GPS tracker contains a mobile 'phone SIM. The user simply has to carry it - Janet had hers on a lanyard around her neck. You simply dial the tracker's mobile 'phone number and it sends you a text with the map co-ordinates of the tracker's position. If you have Google maps installed on your smartphone then opening the text opens the Google Map app with the location shown. It shows where on a road the tracker is. It's pretty amazing, actually. On one occasion I was in Giffin Street and the GPS tracker was showing it was in Giffin Street as well. I looked across the road and there was Janet, sitting on a bench, 10 metres from me! As long as there is a decent mobile 'phone network it will work anywhere on the planet. It will not work if the wearer is inside a building because the tracker cannot get a satellite fix. One is called Trackstick and is available in Italy.

Hope this helps.

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark65