spectacles

ring

Jul 1, 2014
I am a full time care for my wife who has dementia and is hose bound i booked a home visit for a home eyetest with specsavers the first appointment was reschduled the optician did arrive ask my name and could i drive i siad i could so they could not do a test as i could drive to the shop my point is icannt leave my wife at all our family live abroad is there any exception to test my eyes

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I don't know whether there are rules for this but could you ring a different branch and this time tell them you can't drive?

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I am a full time care for my wife who has dementia and is hose bound i booked a home visit for a home eyetest with specsavers the first appointment was reschduled the optician did arrive ask my name and could i drive i siad i could so they could not do a test as i could drive to the shop my point is icannt leave my wife at all our family live abroad is there any exception to test my eyes

If you were able and willing to pay would they have done it?

kayze

Jan 20, 2014
Hi,
Welcome to talking point.

I'm not sure if there are rules about this, but could you ring your local Age uk branch and see if they have any information about this, they maybe able to to put you in touch with a sitting service where they could come and sit with your wife for an hour or so, some carers services also provide a free sitting service.

Best wishes.

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
Dont bother with Specsavers and the other large ones, find a small "family" one and explain it all to them. In my case Boots told me that they did not do eye tests on people with dementia so i found a small one and they treated my wife with great compasion.
John.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Our local opticians will do an eye test for OH and they are usually very good. However, last time the optician started by saying ' now, mr ....., do you remember your eye test last year?'
Optician, dementia test, failed!

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool

I would try Age Concern to see if they can advise. Also wonder if you could get a letter from GP saying your wife can't be left. Do you have any help from SS? You may be entitled to a certain amount of sitting respite for your wife which would enable you to go to the optician.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I think I have up this right? You are trying to get your own eyes tested?

There must be some arrangement where by they can come out yo test your eyes if you are a carer of a house bound person. Perhaps you could offer to pay the petrol of a local optician.

You could ring these and ask if they could help.

http://outsideclinic.co.uk/sight-test/

Last edited:

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk

Ring, have you ever heard of The Outside Clinic? They operate a home service especially for the housebound, and they are excellent. All tests are done at home and a fortnight after the test, they bring and fit your glasses.

If link allowed, go here: http://outsideclinic.co.uk/

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Well I think when you explained the way things were he could have tested them anyway, he was already there so wouldn't have hurt him, there is no human kindness and common sense in this sort of thing anymore just rules to be obeyed,

kayze

Jan 20, 2014
Hi,

I hope you were able to find a way of getting your eyes tested.

Best wishes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch