Disappointing day...............

Lilibet1

Nov 19, 2012
Buckinghamshire
Well i was expecting a first visit from the CPN today at 10 o'clock. At 10.30 i rang them to see where they were, only to be told that the chap who was supposed to be coming has been off sick since last Friday.
i was really upset when i rang them (in fact i was sobbing down the phone) as i was expecting a lot from them today (although don't really know how they can help) but i was told that i would get a phone call from the CPN tomorrow to rearrange.
I also told them that the least they could have done was to let me know the wouldn't be coming.
So now i have to wait again while my OH is slowly driving me MAD!!!! :D
What type of help do CPN's offer?

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello Lilibet, am so sorry you have been upset by lack of communication, so disheartening when it is the first and very important consultation, have had this sadly with both my mum and mum in law who both have different forms of dementia, the CPN will take into account the person(and carers) lifestyle, how they cope, what physical and mental problems have arisen since dementia has come into your life, if medications are needed they will supply (on prescription) the first months.......then after that it may be down to the GP to continue these should they be of help, other issues do include eating, bathing etc and they can also advise Social Services should additional outside help be required, and at times much needed respite, they should have an out of hours service should things go on a downturn:eek: please stress that you do need a visit sooner rather then later and write down all that is causing problems for both you and your OH, at least they can work on this after leaving as we as carers seem to go totally blank when these meetings happen...please let us know how things are, do take care, and sending a virtual hug to you and hope the rest of the day is not so bad:rolleyes:Chris x

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Not to let you know they would not be coming is unforgivable. Carers in your situation are desperate for help and advice so a lot is hanging on it. A note or email to this effect should be sent to the health centre they are working out of.

Best wishes to you for the future.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Not to let you know they would not be coming is unforgivable. Carers in your situation are desperate for help and advice so a lot is hanging on it. A note or email to this effect should be sent to the health centre they are working out of.

Best wishes to you for the future.

I absolutely agree with this. I am fed up to the eyeballs with health professionals who are supposed to be sympathetic with your life as a carer, not phoning back when they promise they will.

But for somebody not to turn up, and nobody to give you the courtesy of a phone call is disgusting. I do hope you get your visit soon.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
I too agree that you have been let down -- these people are supposed to have had training -- how very unprofessional that no-one checked the diary and contacted you.
I mean, it's not exactly unheard of, these people being 'off sick', so surely there should be some sort of cover in place to deal with their appointments.

I do hope you get some help soon.

Lilibet1

Nov 19, 2012
Buckinghamshire
Thank you all for your replies. Things have been a bit better today as my daughter has come up and we've had a good chat and baking session. So we now have some lovely cakes to eat (although we shouldn't really). Brian has not stopped chatting to his friends all day and my daughter was really shocked at how bad he got since she last saw him a week ago.
Ooops Brian has just taken a bite out of one the little cakes paper and all!!!!
I really think he's going mad and i'm not joking. I am so worried. Hopefully the CPN will ring tomorrow.
:eek:

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Thank you all for your replies. Things have been a bit better today as my daughter has come up and we've had a good chat and baking session. So we now have some lovely cakes to eat (although we shouldn't really). Brian has not stopped chatting to his friends all day and my daughter was really shocked at how bad he got since she last saw him a week ago.
I really think he's going mad and i'm not joking. I am so worried. Hopefully the CPN will ring tomorrow.

You shouldn't have to suffer like this, and I feel for you so much. :( It's a real eye opener when family haven't seen someone for a week, whereas you've probably noticed the decline hour on hour.

On my council's website, they have a phone number for Older Adults Mental Health & Memory, and an out-of-hours number and you might find your local authority does too. I do sincerely hope you get help. Take care.

Grandma P

Jan 30, 2014
North Sussex

Hello Lilibet, It's that "madness" which is so difficult is't it? Bill hits himself hard a lot and hits the furniture and walls and then laughs uncontrollably like a maniac. He will be seen by a neuro psychologist for 6 weekly sessions of tests which are designed to analyse what is and isn't working and what might be done about things. That will be "sometime" of course.
Sometimes (I mean often) the constant compulsive noises drive me crazy. Even when he's quiet I am tense, waiting for the next bout.
The daft thing is that I now think of the terrible memory lapses and confusion as "normal". If you have dementia - then memory loss is normal!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandzz