Emotions

jsymoonbeam2

Feb 27, 2014
Dursley Gloucestershire
Hi

My name is Joyce and I look after my mother who has Alzheimers diagnosed 2 years ago. Today we had an incident where the spring on my car broke and we were nearly in a crash..anyway when we eventually got home i just sat here and cried and cried the first time i have cried since the diagnosis and Mum just sat there busy doing her puzzle and here i was sobbing away. Can someone tell me do Alzheimers sufferers lose their sense of emotion? or feeling of emotion

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to hear about the incident you experienced. No wonder you ended up in tears. I think that it is true that dementia sufferers lose their empathy. I certainly find that with my husband. He has always been the most sympathetic and loving of husbands but now doesn't always realise if I am upset.

I hope you're ok. x

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
In our case mum's emotions have become more intense which in itself is problematic.

It's different and individual, I think your tears may well be release for the last couple of years rather than the car. I hope you are feeling better now and though it's sad if it's all passed her by, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Welcome to TP there are many people on here who will understand what you are going through.

jsymoonbeam2

Feb 27, 2014
Dursley Gloucestershire
I'm so sorry to hear about the incident you experienced. No wonder you ended up in tears. I think that it is true that dementia sufferers lose their empathy. I certainly find that with my husband. He has always been the most sympathetic and loving of husbands but now doesn't always realise if I am upset.

I hope you're ok. x

Yes I am ok thanks I think it is the first time since the diagnosis have i let the tears flow if you know what i mean. If you live in the UK Mums story is in the March edition of the Living with Dementia Magazine.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Yes I am ok thanks I think it is the first time since the diagnosis have i let the tears flow if you know what i mean. If you live in the UK Mums story is in the March edition of the Living with Dementia Magazine.

Oh thanks - I'll have a look.

I think it does help to let it all out sometimes.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I wonder if emotions get muddled up.
My husband started to cry at all sorts of things on the television, many of which weren't really that sad, yet was fine at the funeral of our only nephew, aged 50. Not a tear.
Welocme to TP too.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Poor you - no wonder you cried :(

I care for my Mil, and I would definitely say that that her emotional responses have changed a massive amount. But it can vary enormously, and often, her responses are really odd. For example, a few weeks ago, when her brother phoned (he lives in Ireland and she hasn't seen him for 5 or 6 years, as neither can travel), she sobbed with happiness, for ages - even though they speak on the phone just about every week!. A couple of days later, she was convinced that her niece had phoned and told her that her brother had passed away - he hadn't, BTW - and she was so matter of fact and unemotional when telling us that you would think it was no more upsetting than a spilled drink.

We never quite know what response we are going to get at any situation :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark65