Here's my big regret

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
I just want to set this down because it's the one that comes back to me the most.

When Mum got her pressure sore, the matron of the home rang and said that Mum's back was black, and that it may be her cancer spreading. Mum had that large pressure sore on her sacrum for the next 18 months until she died. It never healed.

When Mum had the tissue nurse out, I remember that her air flow mattress was new. The nurse said what a good one it was, and K, the nurse, said, "Well the old one broke." At the same time, a foam mattress appeared, stored vertically at the side of Mum's wardrobe, and it stayed there til she died.

It was only a few weeks later that it dawned on me (I am slow on the uptake:eek:) that Mum developed the pressure sore at the same time as the nurse said her mattress broke.

The care home refused to buy air flow mattresses for residents, or electric profiling beds, as they said they weren't necessary.

I bought Mum's profiling bed for her, because the home wouldn't. I asked if I should buy a new air flow mattress, and the woman at the bed company said no, they were expensive, and if Mum was on one (which she was) - that was fine.

But it wasn't fine. The mattress was an old one, and it broke. And that was probably the cause of the pressure sore Mum had for the next 18 months.

So I am pretty cross with Matron, cos I think she probably knew all that, and was "covering up" by saying Mum had a spread of her cancer (which she didn't). But I am crosser with me.

Maybe it's paranoia on my part. Maybe it's guilt that I didn't do enough. Maybe I am wrong. I don't know this for sure. But I feel very bad about it. What makes things worse is that if Mum were here, I know she'd say, "Don't worry. You did your best." :(

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
.... and your mum would be right Pied. x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Pied, I don't think you'd be human if you didn't have some regrets. I certainly didn't get it right all the time, and I know John's care home made mistakes, some of them serious, though for the most part they were excellent. Strangely, the only people I can't fault are the staff of the ward where John died, and I know lots of us have the opposite experience.

I think that like the rest of is who have come to care about Sylvia and Dhiren, you are feeling sad and anxious for them, and that brings all our own negative memories to the surface.

I don't know if your mum's care home made a mistake, but I know your mum could not have had a more loving and caring daughter. And she knew that too!

Try not to brood on the negatives, Pied. Mistakes happen, and they're gone. What remains is the love.:)

xxx

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Oh Pied please don't beat yourself up

you did the best according to what you knew at the time

Your lovely Mum knew you did everything for her with a beautiful, loving, caring, daughter's heart and we knew and God knew so don't listen to the accusations

as you said your lovely Mum would say you had done your best

Love and stuff

Sarah

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Oh pied, that is so sad. But you are just looking for something to beat yourself up about, whatever happens to our parents, we feel responsible, even when we have truly done our best. Hindsight is not always a wonderful thing when it causes us to continually question our behaviours and thought processes.

You are still grieving, give yourself time and try to forgive yourself (be your own best friend)

Love and hugs xxx

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Ah thanks everyone. You're so much kinder to me than I am to myself! I keep wishing I could turn the clock back and buy a new mattress.
I suppose accidents happen even to people who have lots of money and fame. Look at Michael Shumacher. Poor man. His helmet broke and now he is really ill. X

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
Dear Pied

I remember how much you did for your Mum and particularly the pressure sore, because I was battling the same for mine at the time. Mum got hers in hospital, it half healed but not entirely. Unfortunately, we can't know everything, we're all inclined to put our trust in those who appear to help us - it feels rude to question every decision, to appear to be second-guessing and over-ruling all the time - so it's impossible to get every single detail right, especially when most of the time, it's like flying by the seat of your pants. And not everyone thinks that the air-profiling mattresses are the best either.

The others are right. No-one - no-one could have been more caring, more loving, more attentive. Just the other day, I looked at that lovely photo of you holding your Mum's hand. I think that speaks volumes. It says it all, Pied.

I know that nothing said here can really gag that Jiminy Cricket or get inside your head - but what makes you frustrated now, ironically, is the very same scrutinising of detail that made you the wonderful carer and daughter you were and are.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Pied you did your best with the information you had , in the state you were in at the time.

Never forget you went through cancer and chemo while caring for your mother.

It is so easy to have regrets with hindsight and when you are well and rested. xx

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Oh Pied please don't beat yourself up

you did the best according to what you knew at the time

Your lovely Mum knew you did everything for her with a beautiful, loving, caring, daughter's heart and we knew and God knew so don't listen to the accusations

as you said your lovely Mum would say you had done your best

Love and stuff

Sarah

Hello Pied , Just catching up ( been out with friends earlier ) & was a little shocked & upset when I read your post Pied (however can understand a little why you feel this way because you are very caring & loving )

Sarah has said it all really Pied & agree with her & YOU did do your BEST Pied so please no more regrets & just think of the happy times you had with your dear Mum

Much Love & Hugs

Love Grove x x

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
You're all so lovely and forgiving. Sylvia - I so appreciate the time and trouble you've taken to comfort me at this time.
Thanks Grove. You've all said things in a way I not thought about.
I had no idea some people don't think airflow mattresses are the best. Now you come to mention it, I did have one nurse tell me a good foam mattress could be just as good. Do you believe that Haylett? X

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
Truthfully? I think for choice I would plump for the variable airflow mattress over the foam one - but our DNs seemed to have personal preferences and didn't all agree. I felt Mum got a better night's sleep on the airflow mattress.

You did a great job Pied. I hope you feel that one day.

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
Don't ever beat yourself up over ANYTHING you did for your Mum. You did the best you possibly could.

How you did all that, while going through all you went through with your own health, I will never know.

You were the a brilliant daughter.

You know where I am if you want a chat xx

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Rural North Northumberland
Oh Pied I'm so sorry to read this about you beating yourself up over a mattress! It might have helped but then again it might not! At the time you did everything that you could possibly have done and you were also going through treatment for your own health. Hindsight can be a good thing but then again look what it's doing to you now! We all do our best at the time and we all also have regrets and the dreaded guilt! It's all normal, so take a deep breath and tell yourself that you did everything humanly possible for your Mum and more. xx

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Pied, everything I ever read about you and your Mum was you fighting for her every bit of the way and being a loving daughter watching out for her needs.

My experience with some of the foam mattresses showed me that airflow are not always the best. I nursed my friend for 6 months at home on a foam mattress and she didn't get one sore. Sadly when she went into a home they refused the mattress and put her on an airflow one and she did develop sores, I was then losing my language and breaking down so couldn't speak up for her as I wanted and that leaves big regrets in my heart, she knew I did my best for her as your Mum knew too. I still find it hard to accept that though. As Flowerpot says you did everything humanly possible for your Mum and more, be gentle to yourself as you were to her.
love
Sue

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
hard for any of us to come out of this without one regret...but you know you did all you could at the time...skin becomes paper thin, (as did my mothers), and possibly no mattrass could have prevented what happened...

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Dear Pied

I agree with so much that has been said here. You truly did your best, and also through a most difficult time for you personally with your cancer treatment and all the effects on you. You were a wonderful daughter to your Mum.

Yet I also sympathise and empathise with you having regrets. I think it is impossible not to have them. I know if I could re-live certain experiences concerning Henry I would do and say differently from I did at the time. Even although then I thought I was doing the right thing. But we cannot turn back the clock, can we....

I hope all that has been written here is of some comfort to you, Pied, and that you will be kind to yourself. Hindsight can be a curse at times, we do look back and wonder if we could have done better. But remember all that you did do, got right, and how hard you fought for your Mum and her best interests. She would indeed say "Don't worry. You did your best."

So listen to your Mum! :)

Much love
Loo xxx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Oh Pied!

Please stop and remember all the wonderful things you did for your Mum. I remember the long nights and days you spent with your Mum at the end. It was a marathon wasn't it? You didn't flinch in your caring or love for her.You were a constant presence at her bedside and she KNEW you were there. She knew she was LOVED. She knew that you wouldn't have done one single thing to hurt her-and you didn't.

Take care

Lyn T

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
What's amazed me about this thread is how understanding you are of what I saw as a failure to care well enough for Mum but also I think I am beginning to see things from another perspective. I get things in black and white in my head - air flow mattress good, foam mattress bad, and I don't question myself. Listening to you I can see it's all more complicated than that. There's the thin skin, the regular turns - and the risk of shear - and something called Fowler's angle which I'd never heard of, and which is a risk for pressure sores - I think. It's really made me see that there could be more to that whole situation. I did trust that Matron and I am really sorry if I doubted her for no good reason. Maybe she did think my mum had advanced cancer. Maybe she wasn't trying to cover anything up. I got such a suspicious head on me at times - kind of a survival strategy I suppose - always questioning and checking. I hated doing it. It's not in my nature. Oh dear.

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
Dear Pied, I'm so sorry this is going round and round in your head. I have the same trouble with things that just won't go away.

Can it be part of the grieving process do you think? I think when someone does we never think we have done enough, and whatever goes wrong is our fault.

I hope you feel better soon.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Pied , Am glad you are starting to see things from another perspective & can understand what you mean about * black & white * etc & glad you feel supported by T P

Take care & hope all is well with you & all the Pied's

Love Grove x x