what to do at the end of life care

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
So glad you have your Dad home now. I hope you all have a good night and your dad is peaceful and comfortable.

goze01

Dec 22, 2013
I am so sorry to hear about what is happening. This is a frightening and confusing time, and hospital staff should be working with you to alkeviate the stress of the situation. My advice to you would be to make a written complaint to the hospital. Sometimes patient care is second place to rules and regulations. Write, with the facts, to hospital complaints. You should find an email you can send the complaint to. The complaints team should deal with it and give you peace if mind.

I'm giving you this advice because I had to make a complaint when I found out the hospital were going to discharge my dad, they hadn't informed me, it was winter, and he had no coat and no door keys. The complaint was dealt with efficiently and without stress and most importantly the relationship between the nursing staff and us was preserved.

Good luck. X

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
Cut a long story short have been told by doctors that dad is on his last stage of vascular dementia. We have been advised that he will not recover from this infection he has. We have been advised that he needs to be made comfortable rather than focusing on to make him better. He has today been taken off his IV Fluids and antibiotics. We have been told that feeding him will be at high risk. Really don't know what to do. Can he not be kept on IV Fluids till the end of life. Please someone help. Whole family in distress coz we feel so helpless. Feels like we are starving him to his death. This is not keeping him comfortable surely. Please can anyone help with any advice

Withdrawing I.V fluids and diet is not part of end of life care, The doctor is legally wrong on that point unless there is a justifiable medical reason for doing so and even if there is another means of giving diet and fluids must be found if your loved one is still requesting diet and fluids. If they do not they are neglecting their duty of care. This is the entire reason the Liverpool care pathway is being changed through miss use

Last edited:

dad02

Dec 10, 2013
Thanks for all the posts on this forum. Dad went peacefully this morning

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Talking Point mobile app

zigandzag

Mar 24, 2012
Birmingham
Sending you my deepest condolences at this terribly sad time. I lost my mom on Wednesday so we are in the same sad place.

I am so glad you managed to get your dad home so he was with his loved ones surrounded by love.

Take care - thinking of you x

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
dad02 and zigandzag - Thinking of you both. So glad that you were able to be there. I hope you find comfort and peace ahead despite the terrible grief that you both must feel at this final parting.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Also sending my condolences and wishing you both strength for the days and weeks to come. x

dad02

Dec 10, 2013
Even though I know dad is resting in peace, I am immensely missing his presence. Can't explain in words how I feel but just want to cry every time he comes to mind. The thought of him being alone is most distressing.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I'm so sorry to read of your Dad's passing. May he rest in peace and you and your family find strength for the times ahead

Take care

Lyn T

dad02

Dec 10, 2013
Went to see dad today. It was as if he was just sleeping in peace. No restlessness or pain. Missing him immensely. Trying to be strong for my mum.

dad02

Dec 10, 2013
Dad's funeral will be taking place on Thursday 2nd January 2014

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Wishing you strength fir tomorrow. x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

tarababe

Sep 9, 2012
Durham
I'm so sorry for your loss and am thinking of you today. I lost my mum in May last year so know the pain you are feeling. Love to you and your family on this sad day.

dad02

Dec 10, 2013
Just come back from the funeral. Been the hardest day of our lives sending dad off