My dear Mum died, peacefully in her sleep.

Lucy Lastic

Nov 30, 2009
Dorset
Last Monday, 9 December, my lovely Mum died, quite suddenly, but peacefully in her bed at her care home.

We had spent a lovely afternoon together on the Sunday, I gave her a pedicure, massaged her arms and legs with moisturiser and we listened to Christmas music. She was happy but tired. Earlier that day she had not wanted to get up for breakfast, but the carers got her up for lunch and she enjoyed roast beef and later some crumble. Having gone to bed early (as usual) after a light supper, she had slept well but again did not want to get up on Monday as she was tired. When the carers checked on her around 11am, she went a purple colour and passed away.

I am so glad that she passed peacefully without pain or distress and she was not alone. Especially glad that she still knew who I was. For quite a few weeks now she had been saying that she wanted to die, she had lived too long and should not be here. Her dementia was quite severe and recently it had become too much for her to go on any outings. She knew there was something wrong with her and it worried her. The pleasure had gone out of her life and I found myself agreeing with her that it probably was time for her to go. However, it was still a shock to get that phone call.

It is sad, but she had a good death, if there is such a thing. She has now been released from this dreadful disease.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read your sad news but I'm so glad it was peaceful for your mum. x

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello LucyLastic, My sincere condolences on the death of your mum. Your last visit to your mum sounds lovely.

turbo

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
A peaceful passing for your Mum and good memories of your day together for you... so pleased to read that and I hope it helps you through the times ahead. I am sorry for your loss but glad there were positive elements too.

Take care

Celia
xx

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
So sorry to hear your news .. but it was peaceful, she'd enjoyed a lovely visit from you and wasn't in any distress. I used to think the phrase 'a good death' was a bit odd, but you're absolutely right.

Xxxxx

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
I too echo the sentiments of others here. What a wonderful final memory you have for always of your dear dear Mum. God bless all of you.

Acco

Oct 3, 2011
Our condolences over your loss. Pleased for your mum and yourself that she passed peacefully and that both of you had enjoyed some last time happy together. Strength for you over the coming weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathyann