Sexual behavier

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
The person i care for has started to make sexual advances, what do i do

I know this is a difficult one, but also common with this illness so you are not alone. It would be helpful if you could tell us a little more. Are you a relative, a friend, the sole carer. How much care do you give?

The only reason I ask is my train of thought is thinking, can anyone else go in with you? Clearly their inhibitions are down, which is common but you have to protect yourself too.

While waiting for people who will have experience of this to come along I'll go and find some other threads where this has been discussed to see if any ideas mooted there will be of any use to you.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?62272-Inappropriate-behaviour-advise-needed

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...ur-is-groping-her-any-ideas-or-advice-welcome

Last edited:

Steve8dog

Sep 19, 2013
The person i care for has started to make sexual advances, what do i do

Its my dad ,my sisters also help out , this has only just started and we really dont know how to handle it ,he can get agressive if we say anything too him.do we tell him what he his doing is wrong ,

Fed Up

Aug 4, 2012
I have no experience of this but he is unaware its wrong so it must be very hard to deal with. So whilst I can't suggest anything I'd like to say that I'm sending you a hope that it is only a passing phase.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Its my dad ,my sisters also help out , this has only just started and we really dont know how to handle it ,he can get agressive if we say anything too him.do we tell him what he his doing is wrong ,

I would ask the advice of your dad's doctor. You certainly need professional help and guidance with this form of challenging behaviour.

MReader

Apr 30, 2011
essex
This happened with my husband - he would grab and fondle me in public and at inappropriate times (for instance when I was cooking - very dangerous)
He was prescribed Benperidol by his psychiatrist and it worked but he ended up in hospital with bad side effects.
Sorry can't be more helpful except that 3 years on has no interest in sex at all

Steve8dog

Sep 19, 2013
My dad

This happened with my husband - he would grab and fondle me in public and at inappropriate times (for instance when I was cooking - very dangerous)
He was prescribed Benperidol by his psychiatrist and it worked but he ended up in hospital with bad side effects.
Sorry can't be more helpful except that 3 years on has no interest in sex at all

My mum isnt with us any more, its just us daughters, 2 minutes later he cant remember anything, .its very distressing, to see my dad like this

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
My mum isnt with us any more, its just us daughters, 2 minutes later he cant remember anything, .its very distressing, to see my dad like this

Can you visit when your sisters are there? Would that make any difference. I would be talking to the person who diagnosed him for guidance as it will be distressing and you have to be careful that you don't put yourself in harms way. It won't be your Dad's fault, he doesn't understand how wrong what he is doing is. But you do need to protect yourself too. My advice is to get professional advise same as Grannie thought.

Steve8dog

Sep 19, 2013
Can you visit when your sisters are there? Would that make any difference. I would be talking to the person who diagnosed him for guidance as it will be distressing and you have to be careful that you don't put yourself in harms way. It won't be your Dad's fault, he doesn't understand how wrong what he is doing is. But you do need to protect yourself too. My advice is to get professional advise same as Grannie thought.

Thank you , i will

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Get professional help, meanwhile, I tend to think of my mother as having the thinking of a toddler.

What would I do or say to a toddler? a firm ''no! we don't do that'', and if neccessary, remove their hands.

No good trying to explain to your dad ( or the imagined toddler) why its not appropriate, its just a 'no'. Remove yourself from the immediate space if you can.

Steve8dog

Sep 19, 2013
Get professional help, meanwhile, I tend to think of my mother as having the thinking of a toddler.

What would I do or say to a toddler? a firm ''no! we don't do that'', and if neccessary, remove their hands.

No good trying to explain to your dad ( or the imagined toddler) why its not appropriate, its just a 'no'. Remove yourself from the immediate space if you can.
Thank you

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Do not know if it has any relevance to your situation, but when my mum who had vascular dementia was in the advanced stages I visited her together with my younger daughter who looked very similar to how I looked when I was young. My mum kept looking from me to her like she was watching ping pong. I think she could not work out which of us was which. Maybe your dad is confusing you with your mum when she was young so it is not inappropriate behaviour to him.
just a thought,
Tre

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Do not know if it has any relevance to your situation, but when my mum who had vascular dementia was in the advanced stages I visited her together with my younger daughter who looked very similar to how I looked when I was young. My mum kept looking from me to her like she was watching ping pong. I think she could not work out which of us was which. Maybe your dad is confusing you with your mum when she was young so it is not inappropriate behaviour to him.
just a thought,
Tre

Good point Tre, my mum has thought I was her her mum, when her mum was 45, nothing more than that but your point is a very valid one. She has thought my brother with a wife and children of his own was 5 years old. Very valid point.

Steve8dog

Sep 19, 2013
Good point Tre, my mum has thought I was her her mum, when her mum was 45, nothing more than that but your point is a very valid one. She has thought my brother with a wife and children of his own was 5 years old. Very valid point.

Yes that has happened, one of my sisters is a double of my mum, she has had the advances more than any of us, but us others dont look as much like mum as we do dad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch