Benefits - who can help?

LouiseMarie

Aug 9, 2013
Hi everyone, I am new here and very new to dementia. Alongside my mum we are looking after my nan who was diagnosed recently and has deteriorated quite quickly. She is on income support but I'm sure she is entitled to DLA as I've looked at the website but where to start?? Should I simply apply online or get say Age UK to help with the forms? Who assesses her? It's a minefield! And the website says new claims for DLA aren't being accepted?? She's at home and has had carers but thankfully we have been able to step up and care for her ourselves. Any advice on where to begin? Thank you! X

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Hi everyone, I am new here and very new to dementia. Alongside my mum we are looking after my nan who was diagnosed recently and has deteriorated quite quickly. She is on income support but I'm sure she is entitled to DLA as I've looked at the website but where to start?? Should I simply apply online or get say Age UK to help with the forms? Who assesses her? It's a minefield! And the website says new claims for DLA aren't being accepted?? She's at home and has had carers but thankfully we have been able to step up and care for her ourselves. Any advice on where to begin? Thank you! X

Hello LouiseMarie and welcome to talking point , I contacted age concern and they came out to the house and checked that we were getting all the benefits we were entitled to and helped fill forms in, but CAB do the same sort of thing, They know exactly what to put and which way to put it ,

Jeany x

artyfarty

Oct 30, 2009
London
Hi Louisemarie - we have someone coming from DWP to help fill out the forms for Attendance Allowance. Maybe they could help? The phone number for DWP Visiting is 0800 917 9149.

Fed Up

Aug 4, 2012
There is a new system being introduced shortly and that may be what is causing a bit of confusion. Check out Direct Gov or this website for up to date info. The SW should be able to help and don't be put off by what looks complex most are really simple. Good Luck.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
https://www.gov.uk/dla-disability-living-allowance-benefit/overview

https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance/overview

We are lucky in our area to have a Welfare Rights Team, supported by Durham County Council, I have found their help and advice to be invaluable over the years.

If you google welfare rights you could find out if there is a team in your area, CAB are great too but as they have fewer resources now you may have to wait a while for help.

I think you said your Gran was 90 in which case it is Attendance Allowance you should claim.
Best advice is to put everything down as it is on the WORSE days. That's when someone helping you with the forms is the most help as I found myself missing some important issues out altogether and glossing over the bad bits.
Hope it doesn't take too long but if awarded I think it is back-dated to the date of claim.
Best wishes.

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
Hi Louise Marie and welcome to TP.

I am guessing, as you say it is your Nan, that she is over 65. In which case it would be Attendance Allowance she should be applying for. (Oh yes, just read Garnuft's post). I would agree that it is very worthwhile to get help from Age UK or your local carers centre or someone to help you fill in the forms. They will be very experienced in this and know exactly what wording to use, also maybe see things that don't strike you as a problem perhaps. For example, I told our "helper" that Mum wasn't incontinent (at that time). The answer to that was, well if she has back trouble she might not get up the stairs too quickly. I hadn't thought of it that way:eek:

Does your Nan live alone? She may be entitled to council tax exemption, depending on how bad she is. Again, this is something that Age UK etc should pick up on.

Also, could anyone claim Carer's Allowance?

Good luck! If you need any clarification, let us know.

LouiseMarie

Aug 9, 2013
Thank you all for your replies - it is indeed Attendance Allowance and not DLA. Shows how little I know!

I will get onto Age UK tomorrow - she already attends their day centre so that should be straightforward as they will know her.

Thanks again x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5