How long does it last?

akadog

May 23, 2013
I am new to this site and unfortunately have found the doctors over-worked and unable/unwilling to take the time to answer my questions. In particular there is one question that I would like some help with. :confused: My mum has had alzheimer's for 3 years at least, and is still living in her home. :) We visit her everyday and have seen her decline from vital person to collection of classic symptoms with rare flashes of her old self. :( One of the greatest difficulties is getting her to eat. She is so thin now. My question is how much longer can she go on like this? Is there a pattern of decline that has a timetable?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Nope! everyone is different, just like people without this blessed dementia.

Maybe she is bored with the same foods. Maybe its harder to actually eat - finger food?

Does she have to get it ready or does someone do it for her?

My mums tastes have changed completely - give her all sorts - spicy, sweet & sour - they seem to tickle the tastebuds.

She also eats Jelly and yoghurts like they are going out of fashion

Pollyanna

Jul 8, 2008
Hi

Is she preparing food herself (or meant to be)?

We found leaving food around which she could eat when she wanted helped was the way forward with my Nan. Bananas, mini-cheeses, packets of ham in the fridge that she could help herself to when she wanted. We rationed cakes, biscuits and chocolate and moved an allowance down to a visible shelf. We always left a sandwich in the fridge. Jam sandwiches were popular! Getting the food in was more of a priority than structured meals at one stage. She would wonder around and if she saw something she liked, she'd eat it!

This was before carers came in and they plonked a meal in front of her without any discussions or an opportunity for her to refuse!

Another point is that if she is not eating, is she drinking enough? We used to leave water accessible and made sure that when anyone was at the house, they left a cup of tea with her when they left. My Nan always liked a nice cup of tea!! :)

x

Last edited:

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Does your Mum need prompting to eat? My Mum doesn't seem to be hungry around mealtimes though she often eats well when food's put in front of her.

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
While some things may follow a general progression, the timing and order will be different for everyone. My dad is approaching what might be termed Late Stage, Alzheimer's, but, while many no longer speak, he is still very good at talking.

Regarding food, is she on her own? Does she eat on her own? Dad found anything that required effort to chew was just beyond him. He also got to a stage where he needed a spoon, very tiny bits of food, and constant reminders that there was still food on his plate. Depending on her situation, she should have food provided and prepared for her, and someone to be with her when she eats. Eating is also exhausting for Dad, it requires great mental effort, so they need to graze through the day. Little and often, and at a certain stage, it's not so vital for a balanced diet, they need the fuel and calories rather than super healthy choices.

And yes, you're so right, Jessbow, they really develop a super sweet tooth, Dad rarely needs reminding to finish tapioca custard and stewed apples.

Akadog, it is hard to get answers from the dr for these problems and many GP's may not even be very clued in on this type of care. You should get some more great info and advice here, and perhaps talk to her care providers if she has them, they are far more experienced in aged care than drs.

Take care, Stephanie

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Of course everyone is different, but all I can say is that my mother lost an awful lot of weight over maybe a couple of years - went from maybe a size 16 to a 10. Her appetite plummetted and no amount of encouragement would make her eat any more - she simply didn't want it.
However, for several years now she's stayed much the same weight - very thin, but not really getting any thinner. She is weighed regularly so we'd know about any substantial change.

This sort of thing would seem to be fairly normal in dementia, though apparently some people go the other way and want to eat non-stop instead.

Redpoppy

Jul 31, 2012
Glamorgan s.wales
Eating and memory loss

Yes--my. Husband forgets that he's eaten,so if I pop out for an hr or so he's often raided the fridge eating the most inappropriate food.He can eat a cooked dinner and within 30mins or so will walk into the living room with a tin of sardines or a cheese sandwich with no recollection of the meal he's just eaten.
It's quite difficult to convince him he doesn't need anything else to eat as he gets really annoyed with me.He's 83yrs now so is not very active and I don't want him to put on weight.I hope you manage to sort the problem of ' not eating enough' Life with Alz/vascular dementia is so complicated.

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
You should be able to build her up again with cream added to as many things that you can, also full fat milk. I did that with Dad and it worked :)

Some things to give you ideas... porridge, cornflakes, soups of any kind, rice pudding, yoghurt, custard, any kind of fruit.. don't forget the cream.. amazing how many things you can add it too :D

Last edited:

akadog

May 23, 2013
thanks for your reply

thanks for your reply it seems very close to what we are experiencing with my Mum.

Of course everyone is different, but all I can say is that my mother lost an awful lot of weight over maybe a couple of years - went from maybe a size 16 to a 10. Her appetite plummetted and no amount of encouragement would make her eat any more - she simply didn't want it.
However, for several years now she's stayed much the same weight - very thin, but not really getting any thinner. She is weighed regularly so we'd know about any substantial change.

This sort of thing would seem to be fairly normal in dementia, though apparently some people go the other way and want to eat non-stop instead.