Do animals help you cope?

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
Hi
Just wondering whether any finds that their pets help them cope with the stress of caring? I have two guinea pigs. If I am feeling sad or overwhelmed they never fail to cheer me up with their funny personalities and love of cuddles :)
They treat me like a slave. Always squeaking for treats and yet it is never annoying as it would be if it was a human acting in this way. Just makes me smile on days that I never thought I would.
Dee xx

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
I love watching the birds inthe garden I find it soothing

Hi Sarah
I love the birds as well. We have about 6 goldfinches on our feeders at the moment. Such beautiful little birds. We also get a regular visit from a pheasant ( named Fred..!) and a Roe deer but she normally scarpers the minute she spies any human movement .:)

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Hi
Just wondering whether any finds that their pets help them cope with the stress of caring? I have two guinea pigs. If I am feeling sad or overwhelmed they never fail to cheer me up with their funny personalities and love of cuddles :)
They treat me like a slave. Always squeaking for treats and yet it is never annoying as it would be if it was a human acting in this way. Just makes me smile on days that I never thought I would.
Dee xx

Must say our dog (alas no longer with us) was a great solace when I was caring for my FIL 24/7. She was always there, even if she went and hid behind the sofa when he was in one of his rages. Most of the time she was very good for him, too - when he was calm he loved sitting with the dog at his feet and the cat (also RIP) beside him on the sofa. (plus a whisky in his hand and a bowl of nuts!) I do think he found the animals' simple affection comforting and reassuring.

Must confess that we have all their ashes together on a shelf in the dining room. My BIL's girlfriend finds this utterly gruesome but we are quite happy with it. As OH says, they were all happy together when they were alive, leave them where they are.

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello Dee, I would absolutely agree that pets help. We adopted two adult cats and wouldn't be without them. :)

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
my dog has helped with all stress...she made life worth living when it felt otherwise for me at a very black time years ago now....and yes she also is a constant friend with the rolercoaster of ups and downs re my mother over the last couple of years.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Without my dog I would go crazy. Unconditional love but best of all the absolute necessity that even husband recognises to get out of the house!!!

zoob

Sep 13, 2012
We have 6 cats, me, mum and son! I love them, they keep me going definitely....especially if I'm having a hard time...there's always one who will accept a cuddle! Mum's always had cats although she doesn't take much notice of them these days, she'll ask once every four months or so if they've been fed!

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
We have 4 cats - our oldest one, Loki, is my avatar. He's 18 now and still going strong. I'm hoping he'll make it to 20.

I find my cats so comforting. One of the girls, Maggie, loves to lie on me. If I'm sitting at the computer or watching TV, she's usually on my lap. She also sleeps with us.

I actually don't feel comfortable without a cat in the bed. Makes it difficult when we go away. :)

JackyS

Mar 14, 2010
Cheshire
Yes! Absolutely!! They give so much yet ask so little in return. They never judge. They don't care what you look like. They welcome you home, even if you'd been a bit narky before you went out. They listen for hours on end. They'll never tell you to pull yourself together. They make you smile when you're so darn tired, you didn't think you'd be able to. And they love you, just because you're you xx

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
Yes! Absolutely!! They give so much yet ask so little in return. They never judge. They don't care what you look like. They welcome you home, even if you'd been a bit narky before you went out. They listen for hours on end. They'll never tell you to pull yourself together. They make you smile when you're so darn tired, you didn't think you'd be able to. And they love you, just because you're you xx

Couldnt have said it better myself Jacky :)

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My dog is my best friend, my child, my companion, my comforter, my reason for getting up. Without her, I would be bereft and I dread the day that I no longer have her to meet me at the door with her wildly wagging tail. She is also my namesake.

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
I have often said...

If I am incapable of looking after a dog - put ME down! The idea of a life without a dog even if it is a very small toy dog is literally not something I can contemplate.
I love most animals and would have more pets if I were not working, but for me the ultimate in totally non-conditional love comes from a dog. If I were wealthy enough I'd have a whole pack all to myself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch