Mum Now Attacked in CH!

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Just wanted to say that I hope your meeting goes OK today. I'm presuming that your mum wasn't badly hurt by the other resident, but you might want to ask what did they do to check your mum over after the attack. Is she bruised or complaining of any new pain?
Try to keep calm at the meeting because you will get your points across better. Also make a list of the things you want to know. If the meeting gets heated you may forget to ask or say something. Good that your daughter will be with you, but the same goes for her. Let the home do the talking. If they are worth their salt they will be as upset by what happened as you are, and probably highly embarrassed.
Decide your next steps after the meeting, not before. All the very best.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
You need to stay calm (I know easier said than done) and find out how this happened, and why, then you want to see what staff were on duty and where were they when all this was going on. Why would another resident attack your mum?
As for your mum staying where she is, I think you have said it 'she can't stay there' as you run the risk of this happening again, which you don't want.
I know when mum was in respite to begin with a pressure mat was put down as she gets up during the night to go to the toilet, next time there wasn't one, I think they only have so many, but that's no excuse.
Thinking of you as you try and piece together what happened.

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
I can sympathise entirely. My mum was attacked in her first care home, twice. The first time we weren't told, the second time my cousin saw.

I rang the CPN and social worker and got mum moved within a few days. Hopefully the same can happen as swiftly for your mum. These things should not happen!!!!

Take care, bobbing to your other thread now.

Sharon
X x x

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Nr Heathrow, Mum has AD & VD
Thank you it is good advice, I was too upset yesterday but overnight I have thought all through and know keeping calm is the best way although I am still quite outraged.

I am bringing notes and taking notes too...

Just wanted to say that I hope your meeting goes OK today. I'm presuming that your mum wasn't badly hurt by the other resident, but you might want to ask what did they do to check your mum over after the attack. Is she bruised or complaining of any new pain?
Try to keep calm at the meeting because you will get your points across better. Also make a list of the things you want to know. If the meeting gets heated you may forget to ask or say something. Good that your daughter will be with you, but the same goes for her. Let the home do the talking. If they are worth their salt they will be as upset by what happened as you are, and probably highly embarrassed.
Decide your next steps after the meeting, not before. All the very best.

winda

Oct 17, 2011
Nottinghamshire
Keeping property safe is difficult in a dementia CH.

I used to visit my husband every day and more often than not he wouldn't be wearing his glasses. I always had to go searching for them but sometimes it would take several days for them to turn up. One pair turned up with a missing lens ... It was a constant problem.
The fact that they went missing didn't surprise me as my husband was incapable of looking after his property. But I did think that the staff should have at least noticed that he wasn't wearing them. It seemed to add to his confusion when he wasn't wearing them.

Very often I would find property belonging to other residents in his room. Given that it was impossible to enter without a key, my husband or a member of staff must have taken them there.
It was the same with his clothes. Every so often I would have a sort-out because there would be many items which didn't belong to my husband (they usually would have names on them).

Some residents would walk around with CH ornaments. One man used to stuff them into his jacket pocket ...

The staff seemed to accept that all of this was normal and didn't bat an eyelid. I never heard them comment on any of it.

As long as the staff are treating your mum kindly, I wouldn't worry about them saying she has been 'pilfering'. As long as they are saying it fondly, it doesn't really matter what they call it, in my opinion.
I can understand you feeling sensitive about it though, it is only normal for you to feel protective of your mum.

Sorry, I have just realised there is much more to this story than I realised. I will read through the rest.

Good luck with your meeting.

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Manager is off sick so appt. with deputy who usually can't give proper answers - she will today!!!
I started to write this last night but deleted it as thought the manager might be back today. That sentence sets off alarm bells in my head. In my husband's home the wording is "off on leave" when I mention that I haven't seen so-and-so for a while. however, they are never seen again.

When I was doing supply teaching I covered the absence of teachers "off sick" a number of times and, oddly enough, they never appeared again either but took early retirement due to stress.

This sounds a possibility here especially if there are ongoing problems within the home and other relatives are concerned too. I hope it isn't so and that my suspicions are groundless which they may very well be. It' s just a bit convenient for her not to be there! Good luck in your meeting.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Why is my post on your other thread as well? I didn't write it there nor does it show me as having contributed to that thread so I don't understand.:confused:

rjm

Jun 19, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I am sorry for all you and your mum are going through. We have experienced similar with my FIL, eyeglasses and hearing aids go missing, new clothing disappears whilst other clothing shows up (and that dress wasn't even his colour!), shoes that look similar but are two different sizes, bruises and scrapes on him and others - caused by him and others. I think in the absence of one on one care 24 hours a day it is just impossible for the staff to stay on top of all this.

As you address the most recent problem, please do remember that just as your mum is incapable of pilfering others are incapable of competently forming the intent to attack or assault - this disease does terrible things as it strips away the basis of our loved ones humanity.

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Hello, I am copying my reply following yesterdays long meeting below. The care home was a hive of activity with men and women in dark suits and black meeting folders, making notes going all over the place. Did not realise at first this was the CQC and SS!!! Am happy this has been taken seriously.

It was like trying to get blood out of a stone and in my opinion, care plans are utter **** and just pen pushing exercises. The deputy could not answer some of my pertinent questions from it and it was not addressing or dealing with effectively any of the issues raised:

Further to our meeting yesterday, thank you for informing Social Services and involving Care Quality Commission about the assault. Good to hear you will be arranging a visit with the GP who may wish to look at Mum's left wrist/arm as part of the examination. As mentioned Mum was subdued and very unusually remained in her room on Monday following the incident - she does not now seem to remember anything about it.

I do hope the suggested infra red alarm in place between 8pm and 11pm will be effective in alerting staff to Mum's movements during the evenings in future and keeping her safe.

I also wondered if Mum was given a cup of tea and breakfast in bed, her day would start earlier and she might settle earlier in the evening. Maybe if Mum was made ready in her pyjamas and dressing gown, tv on in bedroom and milky drink at say 9pm she would be less likely to wander the building? An earlier breakfast may even mean she would be more interested in lunch!

I am pleased you managed to find the hearing aid yesterday in the treatment room, I was surprised it had not been searched previously as it has been found there on at least one other occasion. It is a shame that she has been without it for the past 8 days as it must be very embarrassing for her and she did miss it. It may be a good idea to contact the hearing clinic as you suggested, to see if a spare one can be obtained?

I am glad we agreed the care plan is not at present helping to support Mum in safeguarding her essential belongings; hearing aid, dentures and glasses. A tick chart placed in the bedroom may well remind staff to remove these at night and ensure they are returned each morning after washing/showering. This will also help to realise when they are first missed and make finding them easier, as it was not possible for you to do this from Mum's notes. I believe dentures must be removed at night anyway, but please do check with the dentist when you are enquiring about having them marked indelibly.

I know you were concerned about Mum's dignity being affected by having the chart placed on the wall in her room but I feel her dignity and her social skills have been more badly affected by having no dentures and being unable to hear properly without the aid.

Again I would also like to express my abhorrence to references of Mum's 'pilfering'. This terminology is rude disrespectful as it implies theft.

It is a pity about the short notice regarding today's appointment with the fracture clinic, but I look forward to hearing how Mum gets on.

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
I really don't think they can be any fairer in what they are saying.

Personally I don't think a chart on the wall to check belongings will affect mums dignity. It's a good idea and at least you will know that they are actively trying to keep mums things safe. This is good as most care homes I don't believe would go to such lengths. Mums home it's a case of 'it will turn up in someone else's room' and invariably things do but we have to accept that this is part and parcel of the disease.

Hoping you are happy with the response you have received.

Sharon

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Hi there, yes I am happy they have taken all this so seriously.

Proof is in the pudding and they are really on my radar now! Daughter tells me to keep thinking about how much it costs for Mum to be there so I will!

;)
I really don't think they can be any fairer in what they are saying.

Personally I don't think a chart on the wall to check belongings will affect mums dignity. It's a good idea and at least you will know that they are actively trying to keep mums things safe. This is good as most care homes I don't believe would go to such lengths. Mums home it's a case of 'it will turn up in someone else's room' and invariably things do but we have to accept that this is part and parcel of the disease.

Hoping you are happy with the response you have received.

Sharon

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
That's like one day I went to see mum at her old respite place, she was still in bed at 10.30am, breakfast on a trolley out of reach and no teeth in!
Would your mum be able to eat her breakfast and then lunch with them being so close together?
Glad the hearing aid problem has a solution, fingers crossed it works.

supporter1

Sep 14, 2012
Sorry things are not great with the CH at the moment but hope things settle down and no more horrible incidents .

Just to return to the subject of 'collecting' as my fathers CH calls it and hopefully something that will make you all smile :D;)

my dad 'collected' ALL the bottles of wine from the tables when they were setting up for the christmas party and kept them safe in his room :D at least carers and family could see the funny side ( I should mention : he does not drink !)

We have found ALL SORTS of things in his room I dont think much is without interest for him but the care staff take it all in their stride thankfully. Think the main issue at the moment is the shaver ( he has 4 !) he can never find them and they are found all over the CH :confused: maybe there is another person having fun 'collecting' ?

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
There was a little old lady with dementia once and she went round and 'collected' everyone's false teeth one night and put them in a carrier bag. All because they didn't share their sweets with her ! LOL. The nurses had to have all the teeth cleaned then go round letting folk try them on to see if they could find theirs! Nightmare...

Fiona

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
One weeks review

Right off to see Mum today and will be reviewing how the week has been! Hope she has: hearing aid & teeth IN - her own glasses & knickers ON :D

or else

weekly weigh in later and hope to have at least not gained after big barbeque Monday.

Sharon

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Wow all good in the CH, teeth, glasses, undies AND hearing aid. No 'squirreling this week either :D

Separate chart held so everyone has to sign to take responsibility for the hearing aid.

Mum very happy not lonely - as pleased to interact with other residents as with me :D

Sharon

rjm

Jun 19, 2012
Ontario, Canada
glad your visit went well. It must be quite a relief knowing that they can pull it together and give her the care she deserves. Now, if they will keep it up life will be much better!

Angel18

Sep 28, 2012
Heaing aids ended up in the laundry

I am so fed up. My mother has recently moved to a Dementia Nursing Home, the day she moved in we forewarned management and staff that mum would sometimes takes her hearing aids out and put them in her trouser or cardigan pocket, so it was imperative that all her clothes be checked before they were sent to the laundry.

I came in the other day and found out that mum's hearing aids had been washed in the laundry, one is not working the other has a piece missing from it. We told Manager about it, expecting an apology and hoping for an action plan to be put in place to try and prevent it from happening again. Manager said it could happen again and seem quite defensive when I asked why the carers did not check my mum's clothes before they went to the laundry as if they had this could have been prevented. Can anyone offer me any advice, I feel so disappointed and let down. Goodness knows how long it will take for mum's hearing aids to come back and the thought of it happening again fills me with complete dread.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you may be able to give me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77