Keeping in touch with you all...

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
It's been a while.

Some of you may know that I have a job now..so am working 24 hours a week. :)

Eric is not well. He fell and fractured his elbow over Easter...it's knocked him back. He's struggled with mobility since then, understandably, but yesterday and today is unable/unwilling to get out of bed.Care staff are happy to care for him in bed..he's much happier. But his chest is now giving some concern. :(
More antibiotics have been prescribed today..( his 4th lot since the end of last year).

There has been a huge downturn mentally and physically this year.

Love xx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Hello Gigi,

Good to hear the job is going well. I'm very proud of you for finding your feet after all you have gone through. I'm so sorry to hear of Eric's fall and chest infections. The very same things have just led to my mother's death so I hope that the antibiotics get into action and get him well soon. We tread a fine balance in dementia care don't we Gigi between wanting more life but not at the price of quality of life.

Very good to hear from you and please let me know how you get on with Eric.

Much love TinaT xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Lovely to hear from you Gigi. I'm glad the job is going well. I hope the antibiotics kick in soon and help Eric. x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Gigi,

That is sad news about Eric. I do hope that the antibiotics do their magic quickly and that he remains comfortable.

I hope you are enjoying being back in the world of the employed:)

Love

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It's good to hear from you, Gigi. I'm sorry to hear about Eric but hope the antibiotics kick in fast. My wishes that Eric gets well soon and you continue to enjoy your job.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello gigi

I`m sorry to hear about Eric. It`s amazing he hasn`t hurt himself earlier as he has been unsteady on his feet for so long.

I hope you are enjoying your new job.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
So sorry to hear about your mum, Tina. You'll miss her..I know. I still miss mine.

Eric is being moved. He'll be downstairs to make it easier to hoist him. They tend to house mobile residents upstairs.
He'd been up thismorning but was grateful to be put back to bed thisafternoon. I don't like the sound of his chest..or the fact that he's very breathless at rest.
But he isn't distressed and is comfortable..and still enjoying his food.

Maybe he'll bounce back once the antibiotics kick in. I have let his daughters know that there is a decline here.

And sitting with him today was special..for the first time in a long time. I put my hand in his and he drew it up to his mouth and kissed it before dozing off to sleep.
Wretched disease.

xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Gigi,
I am sorry to read about Eric. As you say lets hope the antibiotics act quickly.
I like the idea of this gallant man kissing your hand - enjoy it while you can (sad smilie).

You have had a tough year and I only hope the job is helping you through all this.
xx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
How much a kiss to the hand means! I did that that for a few weeks to my mum. She wasn't in a good enough state to respond but it felt so very good to do it! Your lovely Eric loves you and is communicating with you in the best way possible.

xxTinaT

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Eric remains 'poorly' and is now being hoisted. He doesn't seem to mind that. Poor man..I think he's running out of steam and can't be bothered.

He's lost half a stone in weight but is still eating. Yesterday I took some grapes in for him..but they made him cough and retch...so I ask myself is he aspirating?

Today his chest didn't sound too bad..but he was very sleepy and asked if his mum had gone home yet.

Forgive me for saying this..Eric as he was would be mortified if he could know what he had come to.

I know so many of us have gone/are going down this path together with those we care for.

It's bleak.

xx

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Gigi,

Thoughts from afar. I don't often check in these days but was glad that I saw your message. Hugs to you both. I remember thinking that my Mum would not have liked to see herself as the dementia progressed, but mostly she was content.

Glad to hear you have a job. 24 hours a week is a lovely amount...more time off than at work in a week..always psychologically beneficial. I'm on holiday at the moment. We were supposed to be tramping last week, but my OH got pneumonia last week...so he is still resting up...but getting lots of housework done!

Wishing both you and Eric well. And hope these latest abs give him some respite.

(((( hugs ))))
Mameeskye

hazytron

Apr 4, 2008
SOUTH LAKES
Hi Gigi
So sorry Eric is in such a poorly state and I hope you can draw comfort from all TP ers who feel for you both. I wish you peace.
Lots of love
Hazel xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Lovely to hear from you, Mameeskye..hope your husband has recovered and you're both enjoying life again!

I'm struggling to come to terms with the Eric I knew and the Eric I now see.

It isn't helped by the fact that this CH was a solid Local Authority CH which has been privatised. The staff are continually changing..many of the long standing members of staff have gone..and there was an ad in the local paper last week for care staff.

While I understand change takes time..I do have alarm bells in my head and will be discussing them with someone senior there this week.

Eric is so tired these days..he sleeps most of the time now. But they do get him up and he is still eating..although not so much as he was.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks all for your support. I need it just now.

Love xx

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Gigi, hi
So good to hear from you and to know that work is working for you, I'm still on iron rations and visiting hubby everyday so getting back to work is inevitable but not quite yet!

Good that Eric is eating and getting out of bed for some of the day, sleeping is healing but worrying too, you are both in my thoughts.

The changes at Eric's home must be very troubling, the loss of long term staff and more adverts for what will be strangers, as you say these changes take time and it's not what we all have.

Take good care of yourself, with kindest regards from Jo

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Thanks Jo.

They've admitted they have a staffing problem..so sad as the original staff were gems. What I'm seeing is a lot of agency staff just now..but have been told that this is a 'temporary situation'.

Eric's mobility comes and goes. Sometimes he can stand, sometimes he's hoisted.

Jo..I wish you well and hope things settle down for you.

Love xx

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
It is a shame when staff change. Hopefully they find a new set of caring staff soon, who don't change...it is so unsettling to people with dementia.

It is hard watching the layers of your loved one stripped away isn't it?

Hugs and love
Mameeskye

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
A very sad situation for you and Eric. On top of this you have the problems of monitoring the current care given by so many differing carers. Keep your chin up Gigi and I hope that things improve soon.

As the home is now under new management the CQC must have inspected recently as this is one of their policies when new management are involved. Can you phone the CQC and ask when the report will be out?

xxTinaT

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch