Home care?

Pitcher15

Dec 23, 2012
Bridport, dorset
Hi all, I don't really know where I begin! Basically after my mothers death a year ago, at the age of 23 I'm now trying to care for my dad (who has Alzheimer's) as well as working full time. I'm really starting to struggle, and after talks with my brothers I've decided to get a live in carer which means I can move out and dad can get the care he needs! But the problem is we have no money, none at all, so far we've been living off mums life insurance but how that's pretty much gone, I'm going to make an appointment with citizens advice to see what they can do for us. Basically I wondered if they're is anyway he can be cared for full time in his home but without having to pay much/nothing. I know it sounds like a magic solution but I'm hopeful there's a way round it as he is only 63 and I hate the thought of putting him in a home when he's always told me he doesn't want to go in one! Any advice would be grateful. Thanks
Sarah xx

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Hi Pitcher15

You are an inspiration that you care for your father so much and have so much to shoulder recently

Does your father have any savings/own his own home?? I am not sure if makes a difference but I am sure the more you have the more you have to pay

I hope others post a reply to help you and I am thinking of you so young and so thoughtful and kind/caring. I do not know how you do it

Am thinking of you

Look after yourself

Take care

Kairen:)

Pitcher15

Dec 23, 2012
Bridport, dorset
thanks Kairen
yes he does own his own home, which me and my 2 brothers (+2dogs!) live at. But we're all trying to do too much at the mo, what with work, caring for dad and attempting to have some sort of social life! which is why im trying to find out about care, but dont know where to start! its all a bit confusing!!
xx

ggma

Feb 18, 2012
North Staffordshire
You can ask your local adult social care service for an assessment of your Dad, you would need to be there when they do the assessment and stress that you can not be there all the time and tell them what help you need. Is there a local Alzheimers Soc near you, they can help you with information.

There are private agencies who will provide people to care for your Dad and depending on his income SS charge on a sliding scale for the help they provide.

You might also consider asking your Dad to go to a 'club' (day service) during the week when he could have some interests away from the house and give you a break.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Sarah,

So sorry that you are having to go through all of this right now but great to see how supportive you and your brothers are being towards your dad.

Some things for you to think about...

Contact the local branch of the Alzheimers Society as they have people who understand your dad's illness as well as what help is available locally. They can arrange, for example, for someone to come out and make sure your dad is getting the proper benefits etc that he is entitled to.

Look up the adult social care services in the phone book ..you'll find them under the council pages..and ask them to do an assessment.

You don't say how old your brothers are, but I would sit down together and make some lists. One detailing the challenges your dad has on a day to day basis. The next being what kind of help your dad needs and also whatever help you and your brothers need in order to care for your dad. Make a list of things you think might help your dad eg practical things...does he need help with personal hygiene...showering...cooking...cleaning...getting out and about..is he leaving the cooker on..wandering out of the house and getting lost...is he getting up during the night...would grab rails help around the house...do you need the cooker or electric sockets in the kitchen to be isolated..would them installing a phone care line help..write it all down so you don't forget something when talking to these other people.

Things that are helpful for you to be aware of...

The local authority is responsible for the health and welfare of your dad. Not you. Do not let them bully you or your brothers into doing something you are not happy doing.

The most extensive care package they can give in the home is normally 4 visits a day. It is not common for them to provide care during the night. If this is needed then this is usually the point that they consider that residential care would be more cost effective.

The best option for you all might be for your dad to go to day care every day but that would involve you having to provide any care that your dad needs at night. Would you and your brothers be able to cover this?

You talk about you moving out...what would be your reason for doing this?

If your dad owns his own home then the local authority might expect,him to fund his own care, but, depending on circumstances they disregard the house in deciding who funds his care. You might need to get someone NOT the local authority, to help you sort out and understand your dad's finances. Someone from the CAB or Alzheimers Society might be able to help you with this. If possible it would help greatly if your dad could give you power of attorney ... If you want more information about this then give us a shout and we will point you in the right direction. Just bear in mind that this is probably your priority thing to do whilst your dad might still have the capacity to do this.

Don't try and figure all this out on your own. If there is anything we can help you with then just give us a shout.

Hope this helps and gives you a starter for ten to think about.

Fiona