Choosing a care home (Respite)

Rosieposie

Feb 1, 2012
Gloucestershire
I have just viewed a care home and I have come home feeling so depressed, I dont think I could put my husband there even for a short time, the smell of urine was quite over powering, it was quite a dark and dingy old house, with old people!! This is a home that social services have recommended I use.

I visited a brand new home that only opened late last year. It is purpose built for dementia care, it is light airy with all mod cons as you would expect from a new build, I came away feeling very happy, thinking that I wouldn't mind staying there myself, it is only 5 mins away from home, ideal. But this home doesnt seem to be on the social services radar. Could I explain to them that this is a much better option for my husband as he is only 59, I would feel much happier.

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Hi Rosie. Go back to social services and ask nicely at first. Tell them that the newer home would meet your husbands needs better. If you get no joy you must shout!!! Find an independant advocate to represent your husband.It will be down to funding if your husband has no income and at the moment all councils will push for the cheapest. Have you looked into CHC funding etc etc.Good luck and remember that those who shout loudest get, it is not nice to think like that but it is sadly all too true. Good luck.

tomkitten16

Sep 24, 2012
merseyside
I agree with danny- go back to social services, nicely at first then SHOUT!! Your husband deserves to be somewhere nice and you need peace of mind too. Lorraine xx:mad: