Could a UTI cause tiredness and to lose ability to stand?

Jenijill

Mar 12, 2012
Guildford
OH has been very tired and sleepy for a several weeks, but this weekend he's also having trouble getting up to standing from the chair or bed. This is extremely hard to manage and I have to help him up and support him while walking/standing. He has also slept most of today and takes a very long time to eat (I'm having to feed him as he doesn't seem to know how to use a knife and fork, or indeed use his fingers to pick up food)

Could this be a UTI or is it likely to be just the progression of this vile disease?

Jenny x

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Jenny, hi
Goodness what a weekend you are having, it does sound like an infection of some sort to me, they can cause the most awful side effects and the loss of abilities can be extreme.

If you can get a sample to deliver the the GP first thing tomorrow then that will get a quick diagnosis and you can start antibiotics asap. I do hope that there is an infection and you can get it sorted quickly and effectively.

Let us know how it goes, my heart goes out to you and OH as you fight this along with everything else.
With best wishes from Jo

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hard to answer this but it certainly could be an infection so its well worth getting a GP to check this out. If nothing is found then sadly it is progression of the disease.

Let us know how things go as others will benefit from knowing how infections affect dementia.

mrjelly

Jul 23, 2012
West Sussex
Hard to answer this but it certainly could be an infection so its well worth getting a GP to check this out. If nothing is found then sadly it is progression of the disease.

I have to disagree here as quite commonly people have infections which are never really identified, but clear up by themselves with a good recovery. My Dad had a short period of great confusion and loss of mobility, and all the doctors could say at the end of it was "it was probably some kind of virus". Nothing specific was detected, but he was much better after a few weeks.

Last edited:

Coletta

Jan 6, 2009
Souh East Essex
My MIL was 96 when she had a UTI and lost the ability to walk and could hardly stand almost overnight. It could well be a UTI and I hope he makes a good recovery when he is started on antibiotics.

Coletta xx

Jenijill

Mar 12, 2012
Guildford
Thanks everyone for your replies, but it's progressed even further now. He wanted to go bed at 9.45 but couldn't stand up properly, so I managed to get him sitting on his walker (one of those with a seat!) and wheeled him into the bedroom - we live in a bungalow. But I couldn't get him on to the bed properly, so now he's half way down the bed with his legs hanging over the end of the bed. He's complaining of a back ache so I've called the on-call doctor and am awaiting a call back. John is fast asleep under the duvet, so at least he's comfortable now. It's possible though that we might have to call an ambulance as I can't and won't lift him, and the back may need an x-ray (he slipped out of bed yesterday so he probably did something then :( ) Aaaah well a night in A&E, what more could I want :eek:

I'll let you know when I have more news.
Jenny

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Not sure if anyone is aware but you can now buy dip stick tests for UTIs which might be a boon for use with folks who have recurring UTIs. It says they are NHS standard for use by medical professionals but if you read the comments, many people seem to benefit from them providing early detection so that they can contact their GP ASAP. This could help with dementia patients as UTIs can have a devastating effect. They are cheap too to have in your medicine cabinet at just £9 for 100.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Strips-Para...KZV6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359930601&sr=8-1

Fiona

Jenijill

Mar 12, 2012
Guildford
Peaceful night

The doctor rang at 11.30 and recommended he take painkillers (we have co-dydramol) which he did. Then he slept until 3.00, at which time he'd tried to get out of bed, so with the help of daughter (she has come to stay, thank goodness!) we got him back in, albeit the wrong way round, with his head where his feet should go. As it's an adjustable bed, we raised it up and put his head higher with the pillows so that they wouldn't fall off the end. This morning he was very confused as to where he is, and so I managed to turn him round to face the right way - with no pain apparently! But, he is very very sleepy and wasn't able to drink his usual cup of coffee and is now back to sleep. I have his carer coming at 8.30 so will see if he is able to get him up. If not, and John is in pain then it will have to be 999 :( If he can walk, then I'll get the doctor to do urine test for UTI and take it from there. Oh dear, such a worry, as if he is confused about being the wrong way in the bed in his own bedroom, what will he be like in hospital!!!

Jenny

Jenijill

Mar 12, 2012
Guildford
Update

The carer came at 8.30 and between us we manage to get him to the bathroom, (with difficulty) The carer washed him and changed him into clean pyjamas and we then got him back into bed. I called the doctor, and she's just been, and guess what? a UTI!! Quite a relief really and I had imagined all sorts of things and he did look dreadful this morning. He's still not eating much and has been sleeping in bed all day. I'm just waiting for the surgery to ring me and say the antibiotics are ready for collection. Hopefully he'll make a speedy recovery!
Jenny

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Oh I'm glad you found some answers to your worries Jenny.
Thank heavens for your daughter staying to help you, you sounded right on the bottom with worry.
I hope you have the Anti b's by now.
My Mam picks up really quickly once she is on them but it seems to take longer for her to get back to her usual self, if you know what I mean.

Those dipsticks that Fiona suggested sound a great idea, might have a word with my sis and see about getting some.
Wouldn't hurt to nip things in the bud would it?

I hope you have a more settled evening and night and Hubby is feeling and looking better soon,
Gwen X

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Jenny,

So glad that you have found out what is going on and that things start to improve soon. Maybe you'll be able to get some sleep tonight too.

Fiona