CT Scan

Rooley

Dec 8, 2012
Finally...

2 years after her first referral to the memory clinic, and 5 months after the third referral, Mum had a CT scan today.

It was a very upsetting day, it took me 2 hours to get her up, showered, dressed, hair done and out to the car for the drive to the hospital.

She got quite upset because she's not able to piece together what's happening to her... :( I think it was the first time she's been out of the house for 3 months.

I don't know what they will see when the scan is reviewed, but I'm sure it's not going to be good news. Should hear something in 14 days.

At least the ball is rolling

Peace to you all x

Necion

Sep 26, 2010
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
Hi Rooley,

The waiting period is so very stressful in itself, and seems you've had a heavy day getting your mum orgnised and trying to keep her calm.

I think John's CT scan results took about ten days to come back, but they showed nothing significant. Hope you get the result soon, and whatever it shows, or does not show, at least opens more doors to support and any possible treatment.

Stay strong,
Lots of love, Necion. xx

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Dear Rooley
Sorry you had such a gruelling day taking your mum for her scan, she must have felt very bewildered. I used to dread taking my dad to any hospital appts, it could be a real ordeal and guaranteed to set his agitation off. Even though he’s never had a CT scan, I’ve read a no. of posts here & seems they don’t always indicate a great deal so try not to worry too much until you know more. Hope whatever the outcome it helps to direct treatment effectively and any distress experienced by your mum is outweighed by the benefit. All the best,

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Rooley,

Sorry that having the scan was traumatic. It is so difficult when the person can't fully understand what is going on. I just wanted to make you aware tha some forms of dementia can have lesions etc that can be picked up with some sort of scans, but sometimes the CT Scan is also used to rule out things rather than looking for evidence of dementia. So, from the scan, for example, they will be able to rule out a brain tumour. Same goes with blood tests too. They will look for other things that might cause similar symptoms eg thyroid problems. Overall the diagnosis is made by a process of elimination, together with considering things that could indicate dementia, eg maybe there is evidence that the person may have had a stroke in the past and this might then have them lean towards a diagnosis of vascular dementia.

Just wanted to reassure you that the scan is just another tool.

Hope this helps,

Fiona

Starvin

Jan 8, 2013
N.Wales
Hope they hurry with the ct scan for you , it's horrible waiting ! Took us about 2weeks for the results . Hang in there x; ;)