advice re meds

timmy

Jan 11, 2013
Today mom went to doctor. she currently on aricept since october. today her mini mental slightly worse 12/30 . she gets anxious in doctors and does not perform well ie she did not know month or year but knew them when she came out of doctors. Her mri shows some shrikage in the hypcampus(dont know how to spell it). She put on new tablet memartine aswell as aricept. does anyone know about this combination of drugs.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello Timmy, and welcome to Talking Point, sorry I cannot help you on this problem but just wanted to acknowledge your post, from experience on taking my mum to the doctors well no she does get quite flustered and is fine when she gets home:eek: however it does depend on the time of day this test is done and how long she has had to wait to be seen! she is on Aricept and has been for some while-however it can - if no problems with taking this - take up to 3 months to really kick in! I am sure some of the folks here will have experience of this combination of meds and will be able to help, please do keep posting.
Best wishes
Chris

JackMac

Jun 26, 2010
west midlands
Hello

My mum was put on memantine (ebixa) and aricept. She originally started on aricept and then when she started to show signs of aggression towards dad I did a bit of research and whilst there's not a huge amount of research done on this, there are studies that have shown good effects.
so we begged the doctors to give it a go and to be honest we were happy with the results. No miracles but the aggression stopped within a week or two and never returned. She's getting to the later stage with her condition now and I don't know if the 2 drugs are doing any good at all at this stage but they are not causing any ill effects either that we can see.

hope this helps.
jackmac

fritzli

Jan 10, 2013
southend on sea essex
aricept

Hello Timmy, and welcome to Talking Point, sorry I cannot help you on this problem but just wanted to acknowledge your post, from experience on taking my mum to the doctors well no she does get quite flustered and is fine when she gets home:eek: however it does depend on the time of day this test is done and how long she has had to wait to be seen! she is on Aricept and has been for some while-however it can - if no problems with taking this - take up to 3 months to really kick in! I am sure some of the folks here will have experience of this combination of meds and will be able to help, please do keep posting.
Best wishes
Chris[/QUOTE

My husband does not function well in the morning, very tired and confused. In the afternoon he improves. He started with a low dose 5mg of Aricept a month ago. After three month he will be put on a higher dose. I did not know that it takes up to three month to really kick in. Thank you for the information.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Fritzli, mum was put on 5mg of Aricept to start with, and is now on 10mg, hope that may help you(seems this is standard procedure as we are no medical experts and can not give advise but can only trust the doctors) with fingers crossed that it may help:eek:
Take care
Chris

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Only to say that Memantine and Aricept should be compatible (I checked with our doc) and are often prescribed together, my dad takes them both. Memantine acts as a mood stabiliser and is usually given in the moderate/ later stages while Aricept helps slow down the decline of the illness and usually started much earlier, often on diagnosis. It’s never much fun going to the Memory Clinic for ‘the test’ and always remember coming away feeling depressed after the score dropped each time. When it became less than 5, we were discharged completely which in some ways I was relieved about as it was difficult to see his deterioration measured so visibly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trey0407