Leaflets, posters etc

Dakota20

Oct 31, 2012
Can somenone please explain to me why everytime I see any advertising, posters, leaflets, etc for Alzheimers/Dementia it is always or nearly always photos of elderly people? My husband who is now just turned 63 was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia when he was 59 and is deteriorating very rapidly, which is heartbreaking to watch. My point is that there are so many younger people being diagnosed in the UK and yet still the public are shown photographs of only elderly people having this awful disease. I really feel extremely frustrated regarding this. In no way am I being unkind to any elderly person who is suffering,my heart goes out to them and their carers but I feel that people have to be educated more and told that this horrible incurable disease is no respecter of age, creed or colour.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I agree Dakota, my husband is 64 and was diagnosed aged 58. Also why are they always so blooming happy! I am pleased they are happy, but it is not a true picture!

milly123

Mar 15, 2009
England
Hello Dekota its true what your saying my husband has alzheimers he started with it at about 67 he is now 81 and is in a nursing home for 3years there is a young women in the same NH age 49 its sad to think she is as old as my children Milly

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
My husband always comments on these advertisements too. Whilst his father was in his 70s when AD manifested he was - lets just say - a handful - not a gentle elderly man sitting quietly with his daughter. ;) FIL is 86 now and been in care for nearly 12 years.

Early onset does not even get a mention in the adverts. :(

It would do the government good (whichever one is in power at any time) to sit and read the heartfelt cries from people here, often at the end of their tether and unable to get sufficient help and with various agencies giving them the run around for as long as possible.. :mad:

The adverts are misleading by saying 'a bit forgetful' if only that were the true story. :rolleyes:

Sorry ranted a bit but it makes me annoyed too.

ps: my neighbours husband was (eventually) diagnosed at 52 after a year of tests - hardly and elderly man!!

Last edited:

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
I couldn't agree with you more, Dakota20. I not only dislike the fact that the pictures are of elderly people but that they are often so cheesy looking. Yes I know people react differently to images and it's very subjective but often the images chosen look inauthentic.

I think real people could be used for the purpose of literature and other publicity materials and not models or 'stock' photos. I've often thought it would be a lovely idea to create a database of photos donated by families of their loved ones that could be used for raising awareness. Anyone wanting to use the images for this purpose could buy the rights for a modest fee and the money could be donated to a dementia charity of their choice.

What do you think?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I would think that the explanation is pretty obvious. Dementia is primarily a disease of old age. I speak as a carer for my wife who was first referred to the memory clinic at 50. I agree that there needs to be much greater awareness of young onset dementias.

jkt

Aug 23, 2011
WEST MIDLANDS
Dementia

Hi my husband was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia when he was 62 he has gone down rapidly and is now 65, I am surprised there are so many people this age who have it you think you are on your own nice to know there is someone to talk to and understands

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Hello jkt,
Welcome to Talking Point. I'm sorry to hear that your husband is a younger victim. You will find lots of people who understand here. Hope you continue to post and find friends who can help you.
Best wishes,
Jancis

roseash

Sep 10, 2010
Woolsery, N Devon
I agree too Dakota, my husband was diagnosed at 42 with Alzheimers, he is now 44. With tattoos and piercings he is hardly the stereotypical image they portray for dementia sufferers. Always get blanks looks and looks of disbelief when older people are told he has dementia, he doesn't fit the profile :rolleyes:

Bodensee

Account Closed
Mar 30, 2012
It is very sad to read about all your loved ones developing a neurological disease at such young ages, to develop dementia/AD under the age of 75 is rare but it seems these days more and more people in their 40's and 50's are developing rapidly progressive dementia, I do hope neurologists and GP's are ruling out vCJD as many of us have been exposed to this during our lifetime, certainly anyone over the age of 16 years is deemed at risk of developing human bse during their lifetime according to the department of health. Dementia symptons are part of vCJD and I cannot understand why the current blood test which can detect vCJD is not standard use in GP surgeries it does'nt make sense as this is a transmissable disease.

Last edited:

jkt

Aug 23, 2011
WEST MIDLANDS
Hello jkt,
Welcome to Talking Point. I'm sorry to hear that your husband is a younger victim. You will find lots of people who understand here. Hope you continue to post and find friends who can help you.
Best wishes,
Jancis

Thanks for the reply lovely to hear from someone who understands its terrible when your husband does'nt know what day or year it is after been married for 44yrs we had such plans for our retirement all that now gone.I am lucky to have found a friend who's husband is now in care with picks dementia only 68yrs. We are having a holiday soon together my husband going in to respite for me to have a rest .Thank you

Vivienne3

Jan 25, 2010
Cheshire
Look how attitudes have changed after the Paralympics to people with disabilities. More needs to be done to raise awareness not only for younger people with dementia bur also for their loved ones who also feel stigmatised by friends and sadly by family members. We could do with a Help4heroes charity to help and get younger sufferers on the agenda and make the illness an acceptable discussed topic rather than the comments of 'he is too young to have dementia'! The alzheimers society is excellent and this website is a godsend but the Az society is viewed as a Society that helps people who are over 65. The uk need a stronger voice for younger sufferers and maybe that is a rebranding exercise so more people can benefit from our little supportive group. Thinking of you all.