New research on the Depo Provera jab

Harriet66

Mar 23, 2011
Has anyone heard about the research revealing a connection between the Depo Provera jab and possible memory loss?

I came upon this research whilst trying to find out about any withdrawal symptoms. A few months back, blood tests showed that I had gone through the menopause so my GP stopped giving me this injection. Since then, my memory has gone into freefall.

Research carried out on rats last year at Arizona State University showed worrying memory loss in the rats which didn't appear to improve over time after the drug was withdrawn. A typical report is shown here http://www.brainphysics.com/news/drugs-and-medication/depo-provera-may-cause-memory-impairment.

I of course realise that this is only preliminary research and that my memory problems are far more likely to be due to the menopause, but I am concerned. I had taken a considered risk in going on to this treatment in the first place as it can increase the chance of osteoporosis developing. As my mother in law, mother and husband all had/have dementia, you can I'm sure understand that if this information had been available at the time, I wouldn't have touched this drug with a bargepole!

To the best of my knowledge, although this was described as a progesterone jab by my GP's surgery, it is in fact a manufactured artificial hormone MPA which is not incidentally, used in the Marina coil.

I've made an appointment with my GP but don't hold out much hope of any further information - it's impossible for them to keep up with all the latest research. However, I know there are people on here who have an amazing depth of knowledge - any info would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Harriet

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
It could be simple hyperawareness. This can happen in people who believe they may have a certain medical condition and then will pay excessive attention to anything which they believe is a symptom. For example if someone reads about stomach cancer they may go on to take much more notice than usual about normal digestive twinges or noises which everyone gets - and which they themselves have always had but paid no conscious attention to. And of course, worry will in itself produce more of the same symptoms, and thus it goes on.

It is quite possible that your memory lapses are completely normal but that you are simply paying more attention to them because of your concerns.

Also, if you are stressed and worried over this, possibly lacking proper sleep as well, then you will become distracted.

The mind is a very powerful thing and it is quite capable of manufacturing symptoms to fit a belief. This is not to say the symptoms are not real, they are, but the underlying cause is not what the person fears.

It sometimes accompanies hypochondriasis - a medical term meaning excessive preoccupation or worry over one's health.

I am not dismissing your concerns - quite the opposite. I speak from experience as I have had "health fixations" as my GP calls them, associated with depression.

It is actually quite unusual for someone with memory problems to recognise it themselves - the problems are almost always first noticed and reported by those who know them well. In fact, it is common for the person suffering from them to deny they have any problems at all.

All you can do is to seek reassurance from your GP.

Harriet66

Mar 23, 2011
Thanks for your reply Nebiroth. I completely understand your viewpoint and realise the dangers of self diagnosis. However, I am also aware that some drugs do carry the risk of side effects - some not realised till years after they have been on the market. I would not normally have ventured to ask a question like this on an open forum but many people ask for help on here about the side effects of drugs.The only reason I was looking for help on the internet in the first place was the fact that my memory has deteriorated quite badly recently - and yes, it has been commented on by other people. The fact that it happened very quickly after I was taken off Depo led me to wonder initially if the protective effect of the jab had finally worn off and I had gone straight into the full effects of menopausal brain fog. Despite being forgetful, I had actually been feeling pretty positive recently.
Please believe me when I say that I'm not panicking or imagining things - I just wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge of this drug- or of memory problems during menopause.

roseash

Sep 10, 2010
Woolsery, N Devon
It could be simple hyperawareness. This can happen in people who believe they may have a certain medical condition and then will pay excessive attention to anything which they believe is a symptom. For example if someone reads about stomach cancer they may go on to take much more notice than usual about normal digestive twinges or noises which everyone gets - and which they themselves have always had but paid no conscious attention to. And of course, worry will in itself produce more of the same symptoms, and thus it goes on.

It is quite possible that your memory lapses are completely normal but that you are simply paying more attention to them because of your concerns.

Also, if you are stressed and worried over this, possibly lacking proper sleep as well, then you will become distracted.

The mind is a very powerful thing and it is quite capable of manufacturing symptoms to fit a belief. This is not to say the symptoms are not real, they are, but the underlying cause is not what the person fears.

It sometimes accompanies hypochondriasis - a medical term meaning excessive preoccupation or worry over one's health.

I am not dismissing your concerns - quite the opposite. I speak from experience as I have had "health fixations" as my GP calls them, associated with depression.

It is actually quite unusual for someone with memory problems to recognise it themselves - the problems are almost always first noticed and reported by those who know them well. In fact, it is common for the person suffering from them to deny they have any problems at all.

All you can do is to seek reassurance from your GP.

After having mailed Harriet and meeting her several times in person I can assure you she is not someone to fixate on anything that concerns her health, in fact she is more prone to putting her health last sadly. My husband is the 4th generation of his family to suffer from EOA, he is 44 diagnosed at 42. About 10 months ago I approached Harriet about concerns that my 21 yr old daughter was showing signs of memory loss,friends and family have noticed it.Harriet actually put my mind at rest and said it's probably because she had just had a baby,this put my mind at rest and I thought no more of it until Harriet recently mentioned the depo provera jab and her memory problems.Coincidentally my daughter has been on the depo on and off for 3 years and her memory is not improving, she has spoke to a nurse today who has made an appointment for her to see the doctor next week to discuss it , so hopefully will have some answers.