An app to help people cope with dementia

cman

Jul 8, 2012
Hello everyone,

My name is Cormac and I have decided to develop an app for the iPhone (and possibly the iPad) that will help people with early-onset/early stage Alzheimer's (or dementia) cope better with the disease. My motivation for this is that I have a close family member who has AD and there are no apps currently available like this. This app will be free to download for anyone who wants it. I will try and keep my app as simple and easy to use as possible.

My app will help people with alzheimer's help themselves and be a bit more independent. It will also try and help them to be safe. So for example, there will be guides that help the person make dinner or go to bed. So if the user clicks the "Go to Bed" guide the app will tell them that they need to lock all doors, close all windows, make sure all switches are turned off, etc. The guides can also be edited by a carer and new guides can be created to suit the individual. There could be a "How to cross the road safely" or "How to get to the shop" etc.

Other functions:
Emergency contacts - contact carer at the touch of a button
Record voice/text memos and play them back later to help memory

Can you tell me if you think this is a good idea and are there any good or bad points about it? Is there anything that I should develop further?

There are some pictures of part of my idea on the second page of this thread.

Thanks for reading,
Cormac

Last edited:

petromany

Sep 16, 2010
West Sussex
Sorry dont think this will help much, as my hubby cant even managed the house phone/mobile,let alone take on board simple instructions. I leave messages on a big board for him, but he forgets to read them......... His ability to do little everyday things has gone completely. sorry......

cman

Jul 8, 2012
OK thanks for your feedback, I was afraid this would be an issue and was trying to target people in the early - mid stages of dementia.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Maybe for someone at the very early stages it would be ok Cormac. Like Petromany my husband couldn't operate an iPhone or indeed any other mobile phone or iPad.

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
Cormac,
Maybe for mild dementia but they would need to be able to use a IPHone in the first place, sorry but from my experence not a practical thing, but on trying!
John.

Octopus8

Dec 17, 2011
Don't think you can have a one app fits all approach - plus my Mum would never have worked the technology when she was still at home - even if it seems simple. BUT if you pursue the approach of it being personalised by the carer(s) so that it had their voice giving specific reminders and instructions at push of a button then you could be on to something. My Dad left long notes - especially about when he'd be back and the time - or where he'd gone - so if you can prevent some of the anxiety and reduce the amount of phone calls - he'd get up to ten an hour sometimes and have to repeat the same things over and over, by using the person's voice who soothes and helps them...you can include something for reminding the day and date perhaps and what that means if it's that day (what happens that day etc.) It be best for people with early onset alzheimers, so quite alert (like my Mum) or those in earlier stages of disease.
let me know how you get on

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
I would like to think as the ones who can use an IPhone get to a stage they might need it, it could help. BUT I suspect by then Iphones will have gone the way of Walkmans.

Helen

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Cormac, I am afraid in the first instance I am going to agree with some sentiments already expressed. The inability of many people with dementia to adapt to anything ‘new’ (e.g. routine) let alone technology is well chronicled.

Just as an example, if they got as far as being able to use an ‘app’, I wonder if someone hit ‘Go to bed’ by accident at midday ... they wouldn’t realise it wasn’t bed-time yet follow instructions????

Conversely I am a huge fan of assistive technology and love to see people pioneering new ideas so hugely applaud your initiative :) ... I am also a bit of a technophobe myself .... but I wonder is there a gap here where you could help the ‘stressed out carer’ ... touch of a button reminders ... contact numbers .... etc. Could have used an app like that myself when I was frazzled and couldn’t think straight at times!:rolleyes:

Best of luck – I will watch out for updates from you and wish you every success,

Love, Karen, x

Dikimiki

Jun 26, 2012
Wales
App

I am sure that an app for the dementia sufferer is a no go idea but one to assist carers handle different scenarios would be a boon when the loved one becomes incapable and irrational and the carer lacks experience of any new situation.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Cormac

Sorry if my thoughts are muddled but want to respond. Early onset symptoms yet undiagnosed.

Whilst I don't disagree with what many have posted - go for it.
There is another angle too - many people are undiagnosed with dementia, many people will get it - is the prediction. It doesn't happen overnight - so that means people are already struggling, but still able to work and function reasonably well. Looking back when I was working , but struggling, I was devising things to help me in the workplace. I was able to work on many very complicated, computer programmes - now I struggle with the basics - but they're there somewhere
My point is if people get used to using an app whilst their functioning is still Ok - then they may still find it useful when functions diminish and because it is familiar- if it is simple enough - simplicity is the key. There are many sufferers who live alone and don't have carers or very limited care and anything that can help at all is welcome.
Life is complicated and stressful a lot of the time, for everyone not just those with Alz or dementia and anything that helps is a boon. I'm sure carers would find it very helpful too. I wouldn't promote it as something for Alz or dementia sufferers as it's primary purpose but as a secondary possibility.
I'm pretty frustrated as I don't think I'm expressing myself well at all or how I want to but I hope you can see through the muddle and get what I'm trying to say.

Wishing you all the best with it
Sue

Isabella41

Feb 20, 2012
Northern Ireland
Hi Cormac

I think your app could have a very limited market. Most people with dementia would not be that familar with Iphones or Ipads. I know there are younger sufferers of this horrible illness but most people are quite elderly and would not have been technologically minded prior to the dementia. In my own mother's case she can't follow simple instructions written in bold print and finds its impossible to do 2 things in a sequence.

I think an App to help carers might have a wider appeal particularly one regards empathetic listening as a reminder.

Sorry not to be more positive.

Isabella

cman

Jul 8, 2012
Thank you all so much for your feedback. I didn't expect so many responses. I have taken in a lot of what you have said (ie it could be more beneficial to the carer or for people that are just developing dementia). I included some of these points in my presentation today. The placement will give me the tools and resources I need to create this app so if I get the go ahead (I'm up against a lot of other health apps) then I will try and meet with a professional in this area that can help develop my idea into something really useful/helpful (whether it be aimed at helping the carer or the person with dementia) and not just a novelty idea.

So once again thank you all and keep the ideas coming.

I should know whether I will be making this app either this evening or tomorrow, and will give an update when I find out.

All the best,
Cormac

cman

Jul 8, 2012
OK everyone, some good news, my app will be made! :) I really want this to be beneficial so I will try and have some end users help me with the development. Anyway from time to time I will post on here and try and get feedback about how the app is coming along (after all you are the experts and not me). It will take roughly 6 weeks to complete.

Thanks,
Cormac

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi Cormac

Sorry if my thoughts are muddled but want to respond. Early onset symptoms yet undiagnosed.

Whilst I don't disagree with what many have posted - go for it.
There is another angle too - many people are undiagnosed with dementia, many people will get it - is the prediction. It doesn't happen overnight - so that means people are already struggling, but still able to work and function reasonably well. Looking back when I was working , but struggling, I was devising things to help me in the workplace. I was able to work on many very complicated, computer programmes - now I struggle with the basics - but they're there somewhere
My point is if people get used to using an app whilst their functioning is still Ok - then they may still find it useful when functions diminish and because it is familiar- if it is simple enough - simplicity is the key. There are many sufferers who live alone and don't have carers or very limited care and anything that can help at all is welcome.
Life is complicated and stressful a lot of the time, for everyone not just those with Alz or dementia and anything that helps is a boon. I'm sure carers would find it very helpful too. I wouldn't promote it as something for Alz or dementia sufferers as it's primary purpose but as a secondary possibility.
I'm pretty frustrated as I don't think I'm expressing myself well at all or how I want to but I hope you can see through the muddle and get what I'm trying to say.

Wishing you all the best with it
Sue

Hi Cormac, I think Sue says it all. It may not help elderly sufferers now, but may be something that future sufferers may find helpful, especially in the early stages - those of us who already use iPads and iPhones and are used to using them. I also like the idea of carers using them - again, to those of us who are already familiar with the technology, it could be a great help.

I think it's a great idea that is definitely worth exploring! Don't give up - it may need tweaking and refining, and I'm sure it won't suit everyone, as nothing ever does, but that's no reason to abandon the idea. It may well morph into something completely different as time goes on, and technology changes, but in my humble opinion, these things have to be tried and looked at, otherwise no progress will ever be made. You have to start somewhere!

Well done for having such initiative, and you go for it!

PS - Cormac, I don't know much about these things, but have you copyrighted your idea? Now that it's on an open forum, someone might decide to copy it and get there before you. Have you thought of this?

Last edited:

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Ooops, something weird happened there! I thought I'd read the whole thread, but seem to have posted after you posted that your app is going to be made!

So, congratulations Cormac!

nmintueo

Jun 28, 2011
UK
Go for it. I can visualise apps being useful to carers and people with dementia in the earlier stages. It gets tricky, though, in that user interaction has to be very simplified - or indeed, something that doesn't require user interaction - and it all has to be locked down tight so that it's very difficult for someone to turn it off, disable it, or mess it up, by 'pressing the wrong button'.

One interesting startup has recently launched that you might find worth a look:

Elderly relatives not on Facebook? There's Mindings for that…
British startup prepares to launch beta test of its service to connect families
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/appsblog/2011/dec/16/mindings-app-connecting-families

cman

Jul 8, 2012
Thanks for the support everyone. :)

Sue J, thanks for the reply, it was very helpful. For now my primary audience is people with early-onset dementia who are also in the early stages. I hope to make the app as simplistic as possible for the user.

I think an App to help carers might have a wider appeal particularly one regards empathetic listening as a reminder.

Sorry not to be more positive.

Any feedback is good feedback, so thanks. I noticed a quite few people are talking about going down the 'helping the carer' angle. I'm meeting with a researcher on monday and will talk about this angle, as it may be more beneficial.

Well done for having such initiative, and you go for it!

PS - Cormac, I don't know much about these things, but have you copyrighted your idea? Now that it's on an open forum, someone might decide to copy it and get there before you. Have you thought of this?

Thank you CollegeGirl. There would be little point in stealing my idea as it will be offered for free and I'm working in a large company that will give me lots of resources (graphics designers, etc) for free (which would normally cost a lot if I were to hire them myself). Also I'm working on this app 9-5, 5 days a week for the next 6 weeks so I don't think there are many people willing to put that much time and effort into an app and give it away for free. :)

Thanks for the link nmintueo, I will have a look at it.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thank you CollegeGirl. There would be little point in stealing my idea as it will be offered for free and I'm working in a large company that will give me lots of resources (graphics designers, etc) for free (which would normally cost a lot if I were to hire them myself). Also I'm working on this app 9-5, 5 days a week for the next 6 weeks so I don't think there are many people willing to put that much time and effort into an app and give it away for free. :)

I think you're probably right there :D Keep up the good work, sounds like you've got a lot of support from your company, I hope it's a huge success! Good luck with it all and let us know how you get on.