Hello, am I in the right place?

Peggy67

Jun 9, 2012
Hi, I believe that my mum has vascular dementia, although we haven't had anyone confirm this yet. She has had a number of TIAs and is losing her sight. Since having a stroke back at the beginning of March, she has been unable to do anything for herself and as time is going by, she gets more and more confused. She has end stage renal failure and as a result has just begun dialysis (9 weeks ago) and she is not showing any improvement - namelly sitting in a chair all day (after needing help to dress) and needing to brought food and drink. We do know from the neurologist that she has cerebrovascular disease, which I am not sure that she is aware of, and the renal consultant told my sister that she 'probably has some dementia due to tias.' Basically, what I would like to know is, what should we be expecting from the medical profession and where should we go from here? Please excuse me if I am asking in the wrong place, but I am feeling really stuck.
Many thanks in advance,:(

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Peggy

You are posting in the right place but it won`t be possible for anyone to give you an accurate answer.
Your poor mother has so much wrong with her and I`m not sure whether she would receive aftercare following her stroke and renal failure or dementia care.

There is a Factsheet After a diagnosis which might help you.

Ephraim

Feb 4, 2012
Belfast
Hi Peggy,
Well done for contributing to this site. I have found it so helpful and everyone on it is very nice and wants to help and support others.
I am not an expert but it seems your poor Mum has a few conditions so if I were you I would request a meeting with her GP in the first instance with a view to establishing the best care package for her. Should the GP may be reluctant to meet you then you may need to write to him/her. I think your Mum needs to be referred to a 'memory clinic' for assessment of the scale of dementia.
There are benefits available for those caring for relatives and you should explore these. Also there are various support systems which exist to help people and their families. Your memory clinic and GP should both be available to assist with advice on this subject. Also the Alzheimer's society of course.
I am sure that you will receive many replies, most of which may be more helpful than mine I hope.
Meanwhile, I wish you well and hope you benefit from having taken the time to contact this site,
best wishes,
Ephraim