Memory Walk Wendover Woods

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Dear Friends,
I am trying to get this year's Memory Walk in Wendover Woods off the ground. Proposed date is Sunday morning, September 16th. Is anyone in the Aylesbury area available to join a small group of helpers to share tasks such as planning details, Registration on the day, etc?
In anticipation! Carmen

BungleGirl

Sep 23, 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Hello Nutty Nan!

I'm so glad that you posted as I'm hoping to organise a Memory Walk where I live (miles away from you, I'm afraid)...I've just emailed for the info pack and came on here to ask if anyone else had organised one and how much is involved.

A couple of thoughts...

Do you use Facebook? I'm going to create a 'Who is up for helping organise or taking part in a Memory Walk' event and invite all of my friends to it and ask them to share it with their friends too. If your local Alz Soc have a Facebook page it would be worth posting something on there too. Either way, get in touch with your local branch as they may know others that might be interested in helping. What about creating a 'can you help?' poster to put up in local care home or asking if they could include something in their newsletter if they have one? You could then do the same once it's organised and you're looking for people to take part. Your local newspaper would probably print something asking for volunteers to help organise it and again asking for people to take part once you have finalised the date. Try your local radio station - ours are good at mentioning things on air and also listing events on their website.

That's all that I can come up with at the moment - I'm really keen to hear how you are doing with your Memory Walk and I'll let you know how mine is coming along.

Can it be done on any date in September or is it supposed to be on specific dates?

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Memory Walk

Hi Bungle Girl,
Thank you for your reply and suggestions.
I am not the greatest fan of facebook, although I can see the potential in terms of reaching people. I am already working with the Alzheimer's Team, who have promised flyers and promotional material. What I need is hands on deck on the day (hopefully Sept 16th), in order to lead the walk(s), set up Gazebos etc. for registration, and help with fundraising.
If you are organising a walk in your area, you can choose any date to suit (ideally avoiding any clashes with other events).
Good luck, and keep us posted.

BungleGirl

Sep 23, 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
I have just spoken to my local branch and they have had support from the local sea cadets in previous years and they have helped with marshalling, parking etc. Perhaps you could contact your local sea/air/army cadets to see if they could help out? I'm guessing that they wouldn't be able to help with registration/money handling but they may be allowed to be around with fundraising buckets etc. Do you have a local Volunteer Centre? They normally have a list of people looking to volunteer and the kind of roles that they are looking for - they may be able to come up with some volunteers to help with the organising prio to and actually on the day. Do try your local newspaper/radio station too - I'm sure that they would be happy to help.

Today I have conacted our local AS branch and they are very happy as they haven't had the manpower to organise a Memory Walk for the last couple of years. I've contacted the local council and it looks as though we are going to go for 29th or 30th September to avoid clashing with other events - they were very helpfull! I have about 25 people so far from my Facebook event that are interested in helping and/or participating in the walk. I feel very excited!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch