Getting worse & needing care

Moominmac

Jun 4, 2012
Derbyshire
Hi everyone, I’m new here. I finally decided to read up on Alzheimer’s today. My dad was diagnosed about 3 years ago, maybe more, to be honest I’m not even sure anymore lol. Time has been going so fast for us that the days turn into weeks into months into years. My dad was 65 this year, he got it quite young. He lives with my mum who has primary progressive mutipleschlorosis. (MS)

My brother and I knew dad had some form of dementia because of his symptoms, so when he was officially diagnosed it was no great shock. Mum had been poorly with MS for some time and we were all trying to adjust and give her support to stay at home. Between us my brother & I went to appointments and I helped them shop every week, and as mum became less able to walk without help we took on more and more. Then dad started to get worse. He started to get angry at mum for using her wheelchair while out. He would ask why she felt she needed to use it when she can in fact walk. ( which she can, in the home )

Then dad started to get way more forgetful than before. I mean, seriously forgetful. He would say the same thing over and over again, sometimes forgetting what he was trying to say. Then he’d get tears in his eyes and I would go outside and smoke. He managed to get out a couple of times and got lost and my brother had to drive round and find him. The whole time my brother and I would laugh about it all, I’d laugh with dad, with mum, with my now 16 year old daughter, my husband and my colleagues at work. After a couple of unfortunate incidents with mum that involved the paramedics I went round when they called me at 7am one morning and the paramedics said they were referring them to social care. I felt quietly relieved.

Unfortunately mum and dad were so upset about the idea that carers would be going in they told social care they are fine. I backed them up and said we were managing. My brother backed them up too. Then we all kept laughing for a while things got steadily worse.

My dads CPN did a visit the other week and I sat through the visit agreeing everything was fine. She did that test where they ask dad to repeat words and what date it is etc, and dad didn’t answer anything , he just kept saying “ probably not “. The CPN gave me her number and told me to call if I needed anything.

Dad has started to have toilet accidents now. He refuses to take a shower and he has cuts on his arms and legs and when I ask him how they happen he says he doesn’t know. Then I catch him picking the scabs off the cuts so they aren’t healing up. He puts his clothes on inside out and the wrong clothes in the wrong places. He can’t do a button or a zip up. Mum has stopped encouraging him to do what’s necessary, he refuses and sometimes shouts at her. He can’t shave anymore so I got him an electric razor, a really good one, but he can’t use it. I have to shave him.

My brother & I agreed that things are now at that point where we need help. I’ll be requesting a care assessment once the bank holiday is over. If we can get a carer just to get him showered and dressed in the morning they can stay at home in their bungalow. It’s already had adaptations to make it safe for mum. They can afford the care, it’s just a matter of accepting it for them.

I know it’s the right thing to do, but I hate doing it. I feel so guilty. I hate the idea of dad being made to get a shower and it making him upset. I’ve had a total meltdown this past few days, been crying a lot and I feel like my heart is actually breaking. I just want my dad back.
Anyway, sorry for rambling on, thanks for reading.

Biddy88

Mar 17, 2012
Hi Moominmac

I don't know what to say really, but I didn't want to just leave without responding.

It's a miserable time for you all but it's good that you and your brother can talk about this and make a decision together.

I think what you're feeling is completely understandable and all of us on here have felt that guilt and loss that you're going through right now. It's hard to come to terms with it all and sometimes it's overwhelming. (Does you good to put your thoughts on this 'virtual paper' sometimes though. :) )

You might feel a little better when this endless bank holiday is over and you can get the ball rolling. It doesn't take away the sadness but, for me anyway, dealing with practicalities and making arrangements helps me feel like I'm 'doing something'. X

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hi Moominac

Welcome to TP, I'm sorry that you had to join us but I hope we can help you at this difficult time.

'Everything is fine' Oh how these words will strike a cord with all on here, we have all used them, and all believed them.

Now that you and your brother realise that to keep Mum and Dad at home and safe extra help is needed I hope you can get that into place quickly.

Please don't feel guilty, illness doesn't choose it's recipients, be it MS or AD. With regard to your Dad and showers, never is not good, sometimes is acceptable and in between those two is fine, hopefully the carers will have had more difficult people to deal with than your Dad, my Dad hated showers, as does my husband (he now has an hydraulic bath seat, which helps) so hopefully you will sort this soon.

Please now you have found us, keep posting so you can benefit from what we have all learnt along the way.

Helen

strawberrywhip

Jun 26, 2006
kent
Thinking of you

Hi Moominmac
Thinking of you, as everyone says its such a heart-breaking disease, and that difficult time when you realise that they are not managing , but they won`t accept it is so hard. You are doing all the right things, just get all the assesments and help you can, and be prepared for battles along the way. This site is so helpful for advice and support, and look after yourself as well.
Dont forget about the benefits you can claim for your Dad..attendance allowance, and of course they should not pay council tax if he has diagnosis of Alzheimers. We discovered this by accident..another of those very well kept secrets! All these things help to pay for the help he will need.
Also don`t make the mistake of under estimating the problems when assesments are done...I think its human nature to play down our problems to show we are coping, but when the CPN is round, and during his care assesment you need to ensure everything is documented,,ie the worst case scenario. When MIL was first diagnosed we actually wrote down in detail all her problems, and suddenly realised just how many diffulties she had...think of every aspect of the care that he needs to be supported with and make sure its all documented, and make notes for yourself.
Very best of luck on this difficult journey

Last edited:

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Hi Moominac

Welcome to TP.

Recognising and admitting there is a problem is a difficult threshold to cross, so it's good that you have now got over that hurdle as now you can start to find the help you need. You'll find loads of helpful advice on the forum and you can rant away and speak the unspeakable if ever you have a really bad day. Most of us have seen it, done it and got the T-shirt and from what I've read, are pretty much unshockable.

You may have already seen the Society's factsheets. They're a good starting point, but just come back on here if you need to chat about anything at all.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Moominmac

Sometimes, however hard you try, there comes a time when you just have to take over for the health and safety of those involved.

You have done your best to allow your parents their independence but can see their inability to care for themselves adequately increasing and know this is as good as it will be.

I`m not surprised you are emotional, you have reached the time when you have to go against your parents and it is not easy. It is upsetting for you to realise your dad is no longer able to care for himself.

I hope the assessment gives you all what you need and helps make life a bit easier for you all.

Moominmac

Jun 4, 2012
Derbyshire
Hello again
Thanks so much for your replies. I think writing it down did help :) I feel significantly less upset today, and prepared for tomorrow's phoning around. I've started to read through some of the fact sheets on this site, but they're making for some pretty difficult reading so I'm going to take it slow.
I've been looking through some other posts too, and it seems there are many, many people out there that are affected by this problem. I was shocked as my family and I have never come across it before and just didn't realise how many others there are.
Thank you again, I'm sure I'll get to know some of you well over the coming months.

frazzled1

Aug 25, 2011
london
Hi everyone, I’m new here. I finally decided to read up on Alzheimer’s today. My dad was diagnosed about 3 years ago, maybe more, to be honest I’m not even sure anymore lol. Time has been going so fast for us that the days turn into weeks into months into years. My dad was 65 this year, he got it quite young. He lives with my mum who has primary progressive mutipleschlorosis. (MS)

My brother and I knew dad had some form of dementia because of his symptoms, so when he was officially diagnosed it was no great shock. Mum had been poorly with MS for some time and we were all trying to adjust and give her support to stay at home. Between us my brother & I went to appointments and I helped them shop every week, and as mum became less able to walk without help we took on more and more. Then dad started to get worse. He started to get angry at mum for using her wheelchair while out. He would ask why she felt she needed to use it when she can in fact walk. ( which she can, in the home )

Then dad started to get way more forgetful than before. I mean, seriously forgetful. He would say the same thing over and over again, sometimes forgetting what he was trying to say. Then he’d get tears in his eyes and I would go outside and smoke. He managed to get out a couple of times and got lost and my brother had to drive round and find him. The whole time my brother and I would laugh about it all, I’d laugh with dad, with mum, with my now 16 year old daughter, my husband and my colleagues at work. After a couple of unfortunate incidents with mum that involved the paramedics I went round when they called me at 7am one morning and the paramedics said they were referring them to social care. I felt quietly relieved.

Unfortunately mum and dad were so upset about the idea that carers would be going in they told social care they are fine. I backed them up and said we were managing. My brother backed them up too. Then we all kept laughing for a while things got steadily worse.

My dads CPN did a visit the other week and I sat through the visit agreeing everything was fine. She did that test where they ask dad to repeat words and what date it is etc, and dad didn’t answer anything , he just kept saying “ probably not “. The CPN gave me her number and told me to call if I needed anything.

Dad has started to have toilet accidents now. He refuses to take a shower and he has cuts on his arms and legs and when I ask him how they happen he says he doesn’t know. Then I catch him picking the scabs off the cuts so they aren’t healing up. He puts his clothes on inside out and the wrong clothes in the wrong places. He can’t do a button or a zip up. Mum has stopped encouraging him to do what’s necessary, he refuses and sometimes shouts at her. He can’t shave anymore so I got him an electric razor, a really good one, but he can’t use it. I have to shave him.

My brother & I agreed that things are now at that point where we need help. I’ll be requesting a care assessment once the bank holiday is over. If we can get a carer just to get him showered and dressed in the morning they can stay at home in their bungalow. It’s already had adaptations to make it safe for mum. They can afford the care, it’s just a matter of accepting it for them.

I know it’s the right thing to do, but I hate doing it. I feel so guilty. I hate the idea of dad being made to get a shower and it making him upset. I’ve had a total meltdown this past few days, been crying a lot and I feel like my heart is actually breaking. I just want my dad back.
Anyway, sorry for rambling on, thanks for reading.

hi there,

So sorry to hear of your situation and it really is heartbreaking watching those you love struggle so much but I think bringing in someone just to help with getting up and dressed and washed and doing the reverse at the end of the day would be marvellous. If you are yourself helping, then laying out the clothes in order so he can see what goes on first and how even if he needs help with it all, would be soothing. And a bandage (like a sports one) can be rolled onto the leg to stop picking scabs otherwise an ulcer could form. Useful sprays , dermamists, can be bought from the chemist to help with the healing of scabs without having to rub on creams and to keep the skin moist so it doesnt itch because it is dehydrated. I hope you get some help soon that you all so need, and of course you can talk to us all on here whenever you feel overwhelmed, and we will try to help. I know how hard it is, going through the same thing here.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare