Nursing homes fees.....what a confusing joke

carastro

May 7, 2012
Hi Milomia,

Renting the house out to help fund your dad's care is an excellent idea, but I agree with the above comments, the SS won't contribute all the time he has above £23,500 assets. If the income from the rent (don't forget he will have to pay tax on that), plus his various pensions and AA covers his care home fees, then go independent of the SS and go it alone.

Only those self funding retain their AA.

Carastro

Clementine

Apr 15, 2011
Dorset and Zug/Switzerland
We were thinking of all these options, like letting the house, taking an equity release on it, but after much deliberation we are doing the following:
We are selling the house (as tax is payable on letting and I even think on equity release, correct me if I am wrong)
but after the 12 weeks disregard, we are on the deferred payment with the Council until we have sold.
Then we will, like Chemmy invest the money in various bonds (maturing at different stages).
In a way I am pleased we can do that, Mum will never have to be "state dependent", we can choose the Nursing Home and I think, her being a proud woman, she would be pleased to be self funding. However having said that, we are trying at intervals to get the "continuing Health Care" and are at the moment going through assessment.
This could mean that if she qualifies her care would be paid for by the NHS (again here I am not sure if it is the NHS and the CC). Could you perhaps try for that Milomia?

Clementine

Apr 15, 2011
Dorset and Zug/Switzerland
Don't forget that you will still have to fund all clothing (it gets lost never to be seen again even when named), glasses, all toiletries, hair cuts etc. as these are not included in the fees.

Usual costs for most nursing homes are £800-1500 a week depending on where in the country you are.

Just to confirm above, we pay £890 per week plus extras.

carastro

May 7, 2012
you will still have to fund all clothing (it gets lost never to be seen again even when named),
Yes, it does, they have also ruined some of my mother's hand knitted woolies, so I try to take all her washing home and do it myself now.

Carastro

milomia

Nov 29, 2010
Middlesbrough
Yaaaaahoooooooo, after an exhausting few weeks....We finally found 2 Nursing Homes yesterday that we think will be suited to Dads needs....we have got the Fees in black and white..and it IS gonna be do able....the relief is unbelievable.....slept better last night than I have in 7 weeks.... the assessment unit is thrilled for us as they have grown to love our Dad, and knew we were in turmoil about what we were having to do...they have done a wonderful job with him.With his private pension, his state one, and his AA we are going to be ok.....we aren't going to need that much from the rent of the house either....phew. But yes we would rent through agents...have a house myself and have rented it for 8 years without any bother at all...agent does the lot. Clementine, be warned ....even tho we thought our Dad was in a terrible way and warranted Continuing Nursing funding, when we got into the DST meeting...we stood no chance....to them he was "high" on most things and "moderate" on others....a couple of "lows" thrown in...and it took them 4 seconds to say a firm "NO" to any continuing funding, he got his £108.00 a week for Nursing and that was it. Most nursing homes we have visited say they hardly have anyone with continuing nursing funding....says alot. But good luck. And NEVER give in. We thought of going down the selling of the House and putting into Bonds or shares, but to sell at the moment could take forever and we need some peace of mind for us and to know Dad is going to be looked after both physically and financially now rather than having everything up in the air....the help and support I have had on here has been fantastic.When we finally choose the Nursing Home and they assess Dad and we get him settled I will be getting merry on relief ( don't drink )...:D

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I'm so glad you got it all sorted out. It is so stressful trying to find a home, let alone having to worry about the money etc. plus all of the other things linked in.

Jan x

BungleGirl

Sep 23, 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
So glad you have sorted it out. We rented out my husbands ex-mother-in-laws house (rather complicated! lol) when she went into a nursing home and we were advised by the letting agent not to be too strict about who we could consider. We allowed pets and smokers and ended up with a lovely family that have always rented, stayed in their last rental property for 10+ years and we feel comfortable knowing that they intend to stay put long term.

It is forth factoring in what would happen if the property was without tenants for a period of time.

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
I've been following this thread with interest.

Reading about personal possessions going AWOL:D makes me wonder if you can buy an insurance policy (like home contents insurance) to cover the cost of replacing items.

If not, then it appears there is gap in the market!

milomia

Nov 29, 2010
Middlesbrough
I know what you all mean by the clothes doing a runner...even in the assessment unit we walked in yesterday to find my Dad sat in the most bizaar outfit...blue shirt, grey cardi, brown jogging bottoms that finnished below his knees, red socks and black slippers, none of which were actually his clothes.... laffed about it tho,:D he is happier and that's what counts.Def a gap in the market for insurance for clothing in Care and Nursing Homes....but don't tell them that they may just add it onto the bill :D....we are now getting ready to tell our local LA we don't need them...hope there's not going to be any complications....need to get on with getting Dad settled and trying to get our lives a little bit back to normal...my older brother who is very "weak":rolleyes:when it comes to nursing homes and hospitals and anything out of the ordinary..and especially people that are wondering around talking and shouting out.. ( I find it quite normal now to be honest )..he just RUNS....has decided after what he has seen in the past few weeks and especially what happened to Dad....is NOT going to get "old"...he is going to lock himself in a room with a couple of bottles of whiskey, a few bottles of pills and a busty blonde...then see what happens.....what a way to go...but still gives you choices he says....:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch