Looks like its time for a kitten......

mrs pepperpot

Nov 12, 2010
south wales
Mum is so happy and settled in her cabin , spring has arrived, the gardens are coming back to to life and, miracle of miracles, the eldest brother is actually doing some work in the gardens, mum loves all her animals, the 4 geese 10 chickens 1 cockeral (name elvis) the ducks, oh a bit of a duck dissaster last week, 2 of the indian runners did a runner, over the wall down the bank into the stream and away they swam, the brothers tried to get them back with no luck, the following morning favourite brother (mums favourite not mine) found 2 piles of feathers down by the stream, mr fox had a good supper. The puppy is now almost a year old and too big to cuddle so mum has been asking why we cant have some animals here !!!! i point out all the animals and she looks them over and says "why dont we have a cat?" so i think its kitten time, hey what the hell, it'l be a rescue kitten but the eldest brother agrees it will be nice for mum to have a pet she can have on her lap, we talked to mum yesterday about it and i said that cats can live a long time, she pipes up "what if i die before it" bless her, eldest brother said he will have it if she does.....life on the funny farm....we have so much to be gratefull for and theres so much love for mum you can almost taste it in the spring air......

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
A lovely post, mrs pepperpot. I'm sorry to hear about the ducks though. :(
It's a great idea to get a kitten for your mum. Would be lovely to see a pic of it when you have brought him/her home some time.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
A Lovely Idea ! !

Hello Mrs Pepperpot , Your tales on "The Farm / Home " sounds lovely :) tho sorry to read about the Ducks :( Yes a lovely idea for your Mum to have her "own Pet ":) I have Lucy a rescue Kitten or she ! ! was approx age 14 now ! :) & she is good company for me !

Photo please when the Kitten arrives !

Love Grove x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Morning Mrs. Pepperpot,

Tales of life with the animals sounds lovely:) I wondered whether you had seen the thread about the baby chimpanzee (toy) and whether you think your mum might find it comforting especially as it will not grow up:)?

Love

mrs pepperpot

Nov 12, 2010
south wales
I have seen the thread about the monkey and i would love one for myself,but i know mum and she wouldnt want it as it isnt alive and she couldnt feed it......all her life mum has been a feeder of people , her own family, half the kids in the village, anyone who crossed her path she would feed, fuss over and thats what she lived for. so now, mr Alztheimer has robbed her of the ability to know how to cook anymore, she can just about use the toaster, although she often needs guiding to it as she cant see it, its no use saying its the big white thing right in front of you mum, she just cant see it untill you show it to her, what it hasnt robbed her of is the need to still feed everyone,all the time, thats why we need so many animals, we can only eat so much in a day without getting to big to move so thats where the animals come in, i addmit its a daily battle to make sure the dog isnt fed too much but i think the dog understands now, she only eats what she needs, she seems to know that mum needs help so she does her bit too. she asks me non stop all day everyday "why dont you have something to eat now"? i normaly tell her we have just eaten and she sometimes remembers but most of the time not. i just think a kitten would be lovely for her, another headache for me no doubt but its all good stimulation for her, and i know without her life full of animals she would not have the peace of mind she deserves, and i know from where she was when she first came home to where she is now, although a very traumatic time for her and us, its taken time but the stability she now lives in with a routine that rarely if ever changes are paramount in the fact that she lives a far better life than many with her level of AD. so i have made enquiries about a kitten and i will post photos, i need to post some of her new cockeral Elvis, she loves him. thanks for the support. by the way im a dog person myself and i dont keep cats. i also have 8 hens of my own and 2 goldfish, one of whome is about 28-9 years old......its not all flowers and animal antics but they help to get us through.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I really loved reading your mum's story Mrs. Pepperpot. How wonderful. How unique. I loved finding ways for Alan to feel good about himself.
so i have made enquiries about a kitten and i will post photos, i need to post some of her new cockeral Elvis, she loves him.
I kept a photo record of this part of his life and I love seeing those pictures. I will look forward to seeing yours:)

Love

jude50

Dec 28, 2011
Cardiff
Mrs Pepperpot

We were adopted in the autumn by a stump tailed black cat that loves to sit on Mum's lap and Mum loves it when he does. He makes much more fuss of her than me and I'm the one that feeds him but it's lovely for her so I think a kitten would be lovely and yes pics when it arrives please.

jude

Finn

Oct 25, 2010
Leicestershire
Mrs Pepperpot
Have you considered rehoming an older cat for your Mum? My Mum did a few years ago and the cat adored my Mum and never left her lap. With an older cat you can get more of an idea of personality as not all cats are lap cats. Also an awful lot calmer than a kitten and enjoy a slower pace of life.

http://www.catchat.org/seniors.html

This is a website that rehomes cats of all ages in your own area, some have a picture and description of their nature and foibles!
Enjoy your new friend, looking forward to pictures too x

ggma

Feb 18, 2012
North Staffordshire
It is wonderful how animal react to people, and when someone has been involved with animal all their life it is no wonder they remain important. One of the conversations I can still have with my Mum even though see can not remember anything really about her life is to talk to her about all the animals she has had in the past, she loves to hear about them and to spend time at home with us and be able to fuss the dogs and cats.

We have two cats from a local rescue, both came at about 18 months as outside cats, needless to say that is not where they like to be, apart from when hunting!

Sometimes a bit older animal will settle and sit on your lap better than a very young one, so would urge you to consider offering a home to a rescue cat!!

One of mine was born ferral, but every time I sit down he appears to go on my lap, both cats are really good company and so appreciate having a home after what they went through previously!

mrs pepperpot

Nov 12, 2010
south wales
Thank you all for the very good advice about getting a kitten, I have taken it on board and now believe that a kitten would not be such a good idea. ill speak to the eldest brother again tomorrow and i think we will agree that if mum doesnt mention a cat then neither shall we. and if she does we can easily disstract with whats going on outside the window, the sparrow hawk chasing the sparrows, or , as mum called them today, blackpies, she meant magpies....thanks again for stopping me before i made a big mistake....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark65