It's one of those weeks, but at least there's a laugh or two

Today Dad and I had lunch together. He was quite confused about a number of things and struggling to find the right words, which he was aware of.

I had a smile over one thing, though.

For years, he has mainly worn shorts in bed, but now he is getting chilly. When he was in hospital, he wore pyjamas, but he wanted more. We got him another pair and they fit beautifully but he won't wear them as he wants to save them for his next stay in hospital. :confused:

Anyway, I had a rummage through his old wardrobe and found a selection of tops and bottoms and he tried them all on. I put together two matching pairs and then we put together a top and bottom that matched in every respect except colour. He seemed ok with that.

Yesterday, I put out this pair of pyjamas for him, reminding him they were odd colours but it didn't matter.

Apparently, he got up in the night, realised his top and bottom didn't match and got another pair out of the wardrobe to wear.

I can appreciate he was confused by non-matching pyjamas, but the logic of changing them in the middle of the night escapes me.

I managed to keep a straight face when he told me and reassured him ernestly that it was fine, that I'll sort it out and when he's decided which pair he wants to wear, I'll chuck the other in the wash.

Why do I have such a strong suspicion that this is only the beginning?

Is it anything to do with the fact that I've spoken to his GP about his medication and drawn up a new list of what to take, stripping out most surplus stuff and taking most of the tablets all in one go, except for painkillers when needed, then typed him up a summary...

He brought my list round today. Why, he wanted to know, did he take all his pills on one day? So, let's see, 'breakfast' = Monday, 'lunch' = Tuesday, 'tea' = Wednesday, 'bedtime' = Thursday...well, that's half the week accounted for, anyway. :eek:

carpe diem

Nov 16, 2011
Bristol
Hi, it's probably all just confusion and getting used to new things is always tricky at best. If it's warm enough could you give him an option of his old shorts or new PJ's left out?
I would always say don't save your best for a special occasion today is special enough. But in this case he probably won't remember as changes are always difficult. I hope your weekend is good. :)

Thanks, Bets and Carpe Diem. I think the answer is for me to pop into M&S and stock up on a couple of pairs of new pyjamas. He'll never notice so long as they're different colours. I can say I found them in his old bedroom when looking for something.

Poor Dad. It was evident from what he said to me today that he knows he's getting confused.

rafferty

Dec 27, 2011
cardiff
my mum never remembers to take her medication without promting.Although she thinks she does.Also she wont wear any of the lovely new pyjamas she had for christmas because she doesn't recognise them as hers.I have tried on numerous occasions to explain to her and she acts as though she understands only for her to tell me when it's time to put them on that they don't belong to her.Like you I have decided that I have to choose my battles

Last edited:

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
My husband is the same, I always put his clothes ready to wear and this includes his PJs at night, some days/nights he just ignores them and gets more out, unless I stand there and wait for him to put them on that is. I am increasingly having to do that as he gets more confused. And he would never remember his medication, so I have to give him that at the right time each day.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
MIL had some lovely PJs for Christmas - given to her by a relative who wanted her to keep warm. She always wears very thin sleeveless nighties, winter and summer. But that's what she wants to wear, she finds PJs too hot. However, she has taken to wearing the PJ bottoms as warm trousers and the top as a jacket, so that's fine. She looks so cute pottering round the house in either top or bottom with other clothes, never both together - well you wouldn't would you? - otherwise people might think you were wearing PJs! :D No, she doesn't go out in them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch