Maybe the time has come......

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Very Best Wishes to you Wendy, we all hope the infection will get taken care of quickly and allow you to move Mum. It will not be easy but then is anything easy with this disease? Take heed of Normans words - one day at a time - it is impossible to plan further without adding more stress to the situation. We all have good intentions and ideas of how we can make things work but realistically we have very little control over what will happen when, we just have to deal with each situation as it arises to the best of our abilities.

Remember that moving Mum now is not an irreversible decision, if it doesnt work out there are other places and if it became feasible then maybe you could make arrangements at home? However there is every chance that Mum wil settle really well and you will realise that things have worked out for the best after all.

Good luck

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi and thanks all...
yes they do seem to have diagnosed it early
Mum isn't aware of it at all.....she says "yes" when I ask her if she's feeling a bit under the weather but that's all and she is sleeping a lot so she is spending a lot of time in bed......they've decided this is safest due to her slipping off the chair the other day while she was asleep .....but strangely her appetite is much improved.......she's still lashing out at the nurses when they clean her up though or turn her:eek:
love x

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Hazel
well I phoned the hospital to give them my decision about moving mum into permanent nursing care , explaining I was doing this reluctantly and that I didn't want to have her home and then find I couldn't cope and have to move her again. They asked me what time I would be visiting. I told them 2pm and they said they'd make sure someone came to talk to me about it.....2.25 still no sign......when I asked the staff nurse about it she said they would find me when they wanted me........3.20 still no sign so I left.......

Mum seemed brighter but she was out of bed when I got there and always looks better when she's up.....They've started her on antibiotics today but this difficulty in swallowing is a bit worrying....she's developed this over the last couple of days. I managed to get her liquid anti biotic down her and 2 cups of squash and a cuppa so that was good but her co-ordination now seems to be all over the place.......she will drink if you put the spout of the feeder cup in her mouth for her but she won't pick up the cup on her own.....if I pass the cup to her she tries to drink from the side......
I've checked with the nursing home where mum had respite and they have a vacancy for her(as I'd booked regular respite for her they had put a room aside for her). Even though this was where mum had the fall I do love the place....its clean....they understand this is the residents "home" and they just want the residents to be happy....the staff are so kind and happy(and settled....they have a very low turn over of staff)....and when mum did have the fall they acted quickly and efficiently.........it was the hospital that let mum down in misreading the x ray......I've had an acknowledgement of the complaint I've lodged on this.....
Gosh.....I've rambled a bit!!!
Love Wendy xx

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Mel
Hope your Mum is doing Ok. If she's lashing out at the nurses then she still got the fighting spirit.....
Glad you've got a nursing home place that you're comfortable with.

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Hiya Wend

You know what i think................you've given 100%, cut yourself some slack, if your not happy or she improves further down the line, then you can change and bring mum home, if not you know she will be well cared for, its time to put your family first, they need you just as much and in one piece!

Stay strong honey, your doing great!;)

Love Alex x

ann60

Nov 24, 2006
Australia
Hi Wendy glad to hear that you have a nursing home that you are happy with for your mum. I think that the people who work in such places are a special breed of their own much like carers. Dad still manages to bring mum home about once a month for lunch. I don't know what it's like where you live (I'm in Australai) but dad gets a wheel chair taxi to bring mum home and the trip is subsidized one way, one of the staff at the home told him about it. Glad to hear you're back on board Alex. Ann

Last edited:

jan.

Apr 19, 2006
Cheshire, UK.
Wendy,
So very sorry to read about yours and your mums dilemma, i do hope everything can be resolved to your satisfaction......soon!

I hope the hospital staff have the good manners to have a word with you today......??? Especially as they asked you what time you`d be there.

Relieved that your mum hasn`t got MRSA........my daughter contracted it after spending 2mths in hospital in July `05 after a near fatal RTA......she was treated with antibiotics which made her REALLY ill, but it did clear it, she was only 28, so i can imagine the impact it would have on an elderly patient.

Hope your mums feeling a little better today, Wendy and keep your chin up chuck.

Love and hugs,
Jan. X

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Wendy

Thanks for the update. Sorry the hospital is still messing you about. I hope you manage to see someone today.

It sounds as if your Mum is continuing to improve, and that's great. let's hope that continues.

You've made the right decision about the NH. It sounds lovely, and is already familiar to your Mum. You couldn't possibly care for her at home now -- AD is one thing, AD+immobility is something else again.

You've done a great job looking after your Mum, and you're still doing a great job, finding the best possible care for her.

Love and best wishes to you both.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Wendy ....

Hospital time, huh? Different time zone methinks!!!

Do you know exactly who it is needs to speak with you? I've spent many hours on wards waiting for a 'visitation' (SWs, OTs, consultants) that never materialised..... Mohammed and the mountain stuff it seems ... can you see if there is a way you can book an appointment (off-ward) with whoever it is - at a time that suits YOU and your mum? I'm sure now you've agonised over the decision - and with the prospect of that vacancy in mind - you must want to get things in order as quickly as possible ..... Get them onto 'Wendy time'!!!!

Good luck with it.....

Love, Karen, x

(Good to hear your mum seemed brighter even with the latest concerns)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Wendy, I hope the next few weeks go as smoothly as possible for you and your mother. The NH sounds good which must be a source of comfort for you.
You really have gone as far as you can, in caring for your mother without help. Once she is settled and comfortable, perhaps you will be able to make some time for yourself. Love Sylvia x