A very good visit!!!!

Bastan

Feb 10, 2011
Manchester
Thought I'd share a positive visit with you all.

A little history........a few weeks ago my husband Nats seemed to be losing his ability to walk. Our daughter asked for a wheel chair for him as she wanted to be able to push him into the garden.

We have all continued to encourage him to try and walk everyday and on Saturday evening one of the staff said "look at him walking just when we've got him a wheel chair."

Well my mind worked overtime all night and on Sunday afternoon I decided to take him out in it. So myself, daughter and grandaughter wrapped him up and off we went. Twice round the park then in a cafe to share fish and chips.

It was amazing to be in the outside world with him and something we never thought we'd do again. He was so well behaved and didn't tell anyone to 'F' off.
We were out for 2hrs and we enjoyed every minute of it.

I hope you don't mind me sharing this, as I'm not actually asking for support. Perhaps it should be in the tearoom but I don't have a clue how to move it. If so will one of the mods be kind enough to move it.

love Bastan. xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s absolutely wonderful Bastan. Well done.

It was my plan to do something similar with Dhiren, take him out in his wheelchair for a walk along the sea front and stop somewhere nice for afternoon tea.

A few months after his admittance to residential care, the home had a garden party. We took him out to join the fun but it lasted only a few minutes.
" I want to go back inside," he said. " I don`t feel safe out here."
He hasn`t been outside since.

So please enjoy your trips out Bastan and keep sharing news of them.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Lovely to hear of your positive visit, Bastan, thanks for sharing. It does give you such a lift, doesn't it. Sounds like Nats enjoyed himself too! :) Precious 'moments'. Hopefully you will be able to do it again.

I don't think it matters your post being here. Although any time you might want to post in the Tea Room, Click on 'Forum Home', top left, this will take you to the page 'Support for other members'. Scroll right down to 'Members Area' where you will see 'Tea Room'. Click on it then you are there.

So happy for you.

With love
Loo xxx

Sox

Mar 12, 2011
Hello Bastan - how nice to hear some good news - I am so pleased that you had a good time - the fish and chips sounded good - it's making me feel hungry. We all seem to, quite rightly "offload" here and it is lovely to hear something good for a change. It helps so much to "get it off your chest" doesn't it, especially with people who totally understand.

I have been thinking about getting a wheelchair for a while and have looked for the lightest, but I am not sure I would be able to push him in it as he is so much heavier than me and we have rather a lot of hills around here.

I am so pleased for you and hope you will be able to do it again before the weather turns colder. Take care. Sox

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Wheelchairs?

In our locality there is a red cross depot where you can borrow a wheelchair ( it is free but they ask for a donation) by the day or week. When David broke his hip we had a folding wheelchair from them which I could put in the back of the car. Perhaps you might have something similar in your area so you could see if it was possible to push it or it was too difficult up the hills. I took David along the tow path but when I reached the end the slope was too steep for me to push him up, but two lads saw me struggling and came to my aid.
I hired an electric scooter which folded and went in the car boot from Go Mobility when I took my dad on holiday. They were very helpful. I would not expect anyone with dementia to be able to control one of these. I wonder if anyone has invented one with a remote so the carer could walk alongside and do the driving. If not I think it would be a good idea. My dad can only walk a few steps but we had a lovely day at RHS Rosemoor with him on the hired scooter.
Tre

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Only me again- I meant to also say how nice it is to hear of someone having a good day Bastan. TP gives a lot of support when you are low but so does hearing that there is an improvement after a trying time
Tre

PatH

Feb 14, 2005
N.Ireland
Bastan, It's uplifting to read your post and those are moments to cherish. Isn't it unbelieveable how this disease makes us appreciate moments like that. For me anyway, little did I think how important the small things in life were and how much fulfilment we get from them. I remember so well our walks with Donal,times when he was able to walk and then the wheelchair.Nowadays they are memories but good ones. I hope you continue to have many enjoyable walks together. patx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Bastan,

That really is wonderful news and I am so glad that you all had such a lovely time out. Here's hoping for many more times.

Love

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Dear Bastan
I've only just caught up with your post about your lovely visit to your husband. I am so glad for you. It must lift your heart. with love X

2 young

Sep 4, 2011
north wales
i have just seen your post and wanted to say i have had a very similar experience this week. my husband mobilty has been poor for some time and he also has problems with his balance. i have had thoughts about a wheelchair for some time because when we have been out together he has been very slow and very cautious. he has also been very wary of other people because he is easily knocked off balance and has had falls and near falls often. however he is only 63 and i was afraid of how he would accept it also we had borrowed one whilst on holiday but this hadnt been very successful. after a recent admission to hospital a wheelchair was offered him, this one has large wheels making it easier to push. we have had 2 trips out this week and it has been lovely to do the simple things we used to do together. a bit of xmas shopping, lunch out, a wander around the shops. these things are so precious but we dont realise until they get taken away. roll on the summer !!!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trey0407