I need support

asmillet

Oct 4, 2011
Swansea
care homes

Hi Tina
My name is Andrea and I'm a manager of a care home for older adults. I've been working with older adults since I was 16 and I'm 41 now. I understand your frustrations. I started in my current post in March of this year and 6 weeks into my job the home went into administration. Although the administration team reassured staff, residents and relatives that the home would be sold as a going concern, I had my reservations and saw signs that perhaps the other staff didn't see. I had to deal with residents crying at the thought of having to find a new home at their age and staff motivation has been on the floor. Luckily, a new owner has now been sought and the sale is currently going through. I just wanted to let you know that sometimes things do work out, and very often for the better.
Please don't worry about private care homes being there merely to make profit. I agree that there are many, many providers out there who see care homes as a money making business, but not all providers are the same and some really do care about the residents in the home. I've worked mostly in private care homes and can honestly say that the staff I have worked with have always treated the residents with dignity and respect and the staff get very attached to the residents. From my experience I would advise anyone to seek care in a smaller group of homes rather than a company who have many, because the care is far more person-centred and there are a lot less managers up above to keep in salaries. I really hope this is of some help to you.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Hi Angie and hello Andrea -

There are good people working in good private care homes, I know this. Many many people who signed the petition worked in private care homes and it was as obvious as the nose on my face (which is a big one!) that their hearts and souls were totally committed to giving good care. Also I agree with your comments about smaller organisations make better care home managers. The best care home in Bolton (in my opinion) is a small home which is owned by a small organisation. And of course we mustn't forget the charity organisations who run care homes on a non profit making basis.

The problem is Andrea, such homes are not uniform all over the country and the postcode lottery once again shows its face. Some areas are well provided with a mixture of care home providers, some are dominated almost exclusively by the very large national providers, especially the many urban, built up city areas.

I cannot stress enough that private care homes are also suffering from the cuts in government funding, let alone the worry that Southern Cross criminal management has caused to the private care sector. It made me grimace when I read that the government has found extra monies to ensure that weekly bin collections are made. I only wish that the government could find some money to ensure that both private and local authority care homes can continue to maintain the essentiual services they provide!

The worry of the staff at your care home Andrea and the upset of the relatives because of the uncertainty of the future of the home was heartbreaking to read. We, staff, relatives and friends of my husband's care home have all been in the same position for the last three months and the good news that your particular home has found a saviour willing to continue the running of the home fills me with great joy.

I hover continually between thinking the worst for my husband's care home and thinking the best. I will be so glad when the 24th October comes and I have concrete knowledge of what is to happen. The uncertainty and worry has certainly taken over the whole of this summer for me personally. Take care and good luck with the new owners. Your post has given me hope.

xxTina

angela.robinson

Dec 27, 2004
any news

whats the update on your petitioning Tina? i know you said it would be the 24 before anything was decided ,but i heard it may be looked at today ? heres hoping all your hard work is not wasted ,but the awarness you have raised counts for a lot ,
love ange
xxx