FTD have you had a genetic test or decided against ?

DylanR

Aug 2, 2010
LLandeilo
My mother now 65 has been diagnosed with FTD and has probably been suffering with it since her late 50s. In addition one of her brothers died 6 years ago in his 60's from Motor Neurone. Her father also died in his 60's in a mental institution (not sure what of tho). Given this history I have been told that FTD can be hereditary and I have a 40% chance of getting it the only way of knowing for sure is to have a genetic test.

Given we have an 8 month old baby and are thinking of having more children.

Has anybody on here had a test and if so why did you go through with it? or maybe you decided against it?

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I am sorry no one posted. I think we all had our heads in the sand or our fingers in our ears. I am afraid I did. :(

I would rather not know and I would hate it if there was a marker/gene found in my children. That would break my heart.

I think we have to prepare for the worst and hope for the best and just keep loving those that are ill.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Hi DylanR,

I'm at that stage in life that if I only have 10-20 years of physically and mentally strong years I will be grateful - and if I only have less, I don't want to know!

You may feel differently given that you have a young child, and would like more. But as with all testing, you have to be prepared for the worst result, and already be thinking about what difference knowing would make to you. Is it to do with the risk of developing AZ at a young age, and depriving children of a parent, or of passing on a genetic trait?

I'm not sure that knowing for definite a personal risk for developing something that cannot be treated is something I could cope with. With a disease such as breast cancer, of course in some cases it is possible to take preventative measures.

What is your view?

DylanR

Aug 2, 2010
LLandeilo
I'm now 41 and if by the time I'm 60 or so i'll be getting difficulties I would like to know that I would have lived my life before then in a way that I wouldn't regret not doing anything.

My father worked and saved all his life and went on and on about pensions. He retired at 60 6 months later he was diagnosed with cancer and was dead at 63. My mother couldnt live by herself after 62 due to the dementia. So if my life is going to work out the same I want to know about it so at least I can live the next 20 years as I would live my retirment. I would also help me plan ahead financially!

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Dylan,

Have you read the Alzheimer's Society's factsheet on genetics and dementia:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/405

Also, if you use the Search option (right side of green navigation box) and search for genetic* you might find some previous discussions on this.

To be fair, it has come up from time to time, perhaps not often and not lately.

It is a very individual choice - the main thing is to think it through carefully and get as much info as possible.

Take care,

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
Hi Dylan,

My Dad appears to have a dementia that is very similar to FTD or possibly is FTD but as there are no other family members who have been similarly affected, always we are told that in his case it is unlikely that his dementia is hereditary.

Nevertheless, I have thought often and hard about the possibility that what he has might be passed down to myself or my brother and sister, and if I could just walk into a doctor's office and get tested for it I would. Because for me, I'd rather know. My only qualm when I have investigated if genetic testing could be done for myself if whether it could have a negative implications if legally I had to divulge my results to say an employer or insurance companies. What would happen at my work if I started making mistakes, or behaving oddly? Would I be discriminated against?

When Dad was first diagnosed 10 years ago and for the first 7-8 years of his disease the prospect of possibly inheriting the same fate was rather a scarey thought. But now, now that we are used to what would otherwise horrify ordinary folk, I have come to a feeling that whatever way I am to die is not going to be fun and at least if I knew that it was dementia that was going to get me, and was likely to get me in my 50s then I'd really make sure I was kicking my heels up now, I'd put as little of my money as possible into superannuation (the enforced future pension payments Australians have to pay from their salaries) and I would travel the world and not worry about ensuring I had enough money to live on when I am retired! Basically I would be fiscally irresponsible and not give a hoot about life after 60.

Now some might say that that is crazy talk and that I should save money for the future care I would need, but in Dad's case all that resulted in was that he and mum had to pay for everything whilst others were looked after by the social system, so I can't really see the incentives for being responsible.

You however having children of course would have a whole other kettle of fish to consider. But at least knowing you were likely to get the disease may allow you to more effectively financially plan ahead.

I understand the fears others have, and it is most definitely an individual choice. But for some strange reason, now that I am no longer horrified by the disease and understand it well, I can no longer see it as anything but one type of terminal illness that I could die of. If I knew that dementia was the disease most likely to end my life then I would have greater motivation to work on trying to maintain my brain for as long as I could, I would be more motivated to plan my future years accordingly, and I would be prepared to march into a doctors office or make sure my partner was ready to march me into a doctors office as soon as it became apparent onset had arrived so that I could get access to drugs that would slow the progression right from the get go (so that I could continue enjoying life for as long as possible).

That's just how I feel because dementia no longer scares me. Its the not knowing that freaks my personality type out.

I hope that a different perspective helps you think about things for yourself.

Best wishes,

keane

Sep 9, 2005
Hi Dylan / Nat

This is something that I have been thinking about too. I feel that I can never not know that there is a possibility of getting Az. Therefore, it is something that is always at the back of my mind. However, by finding out, this would not only have implications for me but also for my son and partner. I agree with you, Nat, that dementia is, in essence, just another way of dying but as a disease its impact on the family is devastating to an extent that probably isn't the same for most forms of 'dying' especially in terms of length of care. Also my mum isn't 'happy' all the time as others seem to think - it is very distressing, scary and confusing for her. I certainly don't want to turn this into a discussion about what is the best /worse way of dying scenario but that's my experience.

If I found out I had the faulty gene than I would also have to deal with the possibility that I have then passed it on to my son. However, like you have said, if i knew I think I would probably live my life a bit differently - put my house into my son's name now etc. etc., stop paying into a pension, learn how to suba dive, go travelling, stop working and spend more time with my mum and make some decisions about what I want to happen to me when I am no longer in a position to make them - this would certainly take the guilt /responsibilty off my family about my care.

On the other hand - life is full of twists and turns. Certainly mu mum had a brilliant and full life until she became ill. May be I should just concentrate on doing that and not worry - what will be will be and for our children too.

So Dylan, my answer is yes I have thought about it but don't know what the right answer is but I'm definitley going to book those scuba diving lessons now!

Best wishes to you and your family.
x

WhiteRose

Oct 31, 2011
Thinking about it

This thread is a year old now and I was wondering if a year on anyone has been tested? I am 24 and my mum has just been diagnosed with FTD after two years of tests at the age of 52. I want to get tested but I don't know how or where and searching for the answer I came across this site and this thread. I don't have any children and I am single. I want to know now so that I can plan for the future and I would like to know if I can have children or not. If I do then I couldn't stand to pass it on to my children. I am young enough to not have ties which I guess make me lucky. So I was wondering if anyone got tested or at least knows how to? I am young but I am ready for the results. I am a planner and this is the biggest thing that I will probably ever go through in terms of planning my life.

Thank you. I hope that you are all still on here.

britcare4

Jul 5, 2011
Hallo DylanR, so sorry to hear about your problems. I don't know anything about FTD, but we lost a good friend aged 58 with another hereditory condition called CADASIL. His father died in a mental home aged 60, they didnt know CADASIL in those days. Our friends two brothers died in their 50's, one from CADASIL and the other suicide. Our friend didnt have children but his brothers did. There are now eleven nieces and nephews and about one third of them have had the test. The rest don't want to know. It is a decision one has to make oneself. However, if planning a family I think it would be fairer to know.

EAS509

Sep 24, 2011
Genetic Testing

Hi, my daughter (age 41) underwent a genetic test as part of a TV documentary. My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimers at 54. The test showed that she had
a gene both from her father and from me, so her chance of getting AD was 75% (the normal range was 17%). It was a shock to me also as I am the same age as my husband and do not (at this stage) have any signs.
My daughter used the result to change her lifestyle p- eliminate stress by changing her job, exercising more etc. The result hasn't worried her - she saw it as an opportunity to make changes
The scientist went on to say DNA is not our destiny.
Friends and family were split 50:50 as to whether they agreed with the test or not - I guess if we don't try these things, we won't give research a chance to move forward

WhiteRose

Oct 31, 2011
Genetic Testing

Does anyone know how you go about actually getting a test? And what it involves. I am getting the test regardless of who in my family or friends agree or disagree. This is affecting my life not theirs. Luckily for me my friends and family are being very supportive. After waiting two years for a diagnosis and then getting hit with something incurable and then getting hit with it can be genetic, I am looking for guidance in how do I get tested? My doctor was condescending and about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard. I will go private. This is the biggest test that I will ever take. Unfortunately exercise etc won't help me. I think FTD comes for you regardless. My mum was fit and relatively healthy.

Stay safe.

White Rose

donkey

Aug 16, 2009
sutton coldfield
when my husband had genetic tests they found a fault in a gene that no one else has he was number 27, we were told our children could inherit this gene and there was a 50% chance. our children do not want to be tested but in the future if they have problems it will be quicker to give a diagnosis because of daves testing, no one in daves family as far as we no suffered anything lke this xx

FiveWords

Jul 30, 2011
I went to my GP lately to ask about genetic counselling for EOA, and she was very sympathetic. Initially she tried to dismiss my concerns, but when I persisted and insisted that I would like to know if I was going to get it so I could plan my life accordingly, she relented and referred me to a clinical geneticist. There's a massive waiting list, but my name is down now, so let's wait and see what comes of it, if anything.
If I was told I had a high chance of getting it, I would do all sorts of things differently. I wouldn't go having loads of children. I would change all my finances into joint names with my husband. I would do all sorts of things to ensure my husband was financially secure if I could no longer support him. I would save money for my funeral to take a tiny bit of the burden off my husband. I would sign up for clinical trials left, right and centre. I would teach my husband to use the washing machine, manage finances, etc., so he can do it when I no longer can. I would make more of a priority of learning a language or instrument. I would live my life as though I was 10-15 years older than I actually am, to make sure I do everything I want to do before it sets in. I would write my husband an extra birthday and Christmas card every year to be saved and opened each year I can no longer send him one. I would find a new career that doesn't require military-like levels of organisation skills like my current one does. Etc etc etc...
I cannot fathom why more people don't choose genetic testing. There's no point running away from your destiny. Knowledge is power: power to make changes that will make it easier when it comes.
EDIT: and now I've just said "lately" instead of "recently" - yikes. This is why I worry about myself.

I guess this isn't something anyone on here has considered?

Hi DylanR,

My mother is in the last stages of EOFAD, she has a mutation on the presenilin 1 gene, she's now 47 and in what the nurses call a vegetative state.

I'm currently 24 and around 2.5 years ago i was informed that i could have a genetic test for EOFAD, I have a 50/50% chance of inheriting the gene and if i am found to have the gene mutation it is 100% certian that i will over a 6/7 year period deteriorate to the point where my mother is now, it took me two years to decide that i did want to go ahead with the test, we had to considder many things such as.

• Life Insurance
    Having Children
    How it will affect others
    Can you handle that kind of information
    what are you reasons for wanting the test

I have been through 6 months of psychological testing and was finally allowed to have blood taken five weeks ago. I go to get my results tomorrow.

All i can say is that my reason for wanting the test was i can not stand the uncertainty of not knowing. I can live with bad news and can obviously live with good news but i cannot live in a constant state of worry and panic.

The testing its self is draining and causes a lot of stress, waiting for the results is hell but i believe it will do me more good than harm overall.

Please Please consider it carefully as at the end of the day it is life changing news and the process is not easy.

i wish you all the luck in the world and i hope whatever you decide it brings you some sort of peace of mind.

Best Regards
Jon

Last edited:

Coletta

Jan 6, 2009
Souh East Essex
Jon, you have been so brave. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and pray you will get good news. Sincerely wishing you all the very best.

Coletta xx

Boudeca2007

Oct 29, 2011
WhiteRose my Sister and I were given the opportunity to have the genetic testing by the Cerebral Function Unit in Manchester. If you email them they usually get back to you very quickly. They will also send you their monthly newsletter by email this is where I read that this test was available. You have to get your GP to refer you to them though and the person who has FTD has to give a blood sample.

We couldn't go through with this test though as Mum passed away on 25.11.11 after a long period of being immobile due to gangrene of her foot.

She was 72 when she started with the symptoms of FTD but thinking about it she had never been right since Dad died in 1991 but we put that down to possible depression .

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Jon

Fingers crossed

fingercrossed.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathyann