Mum Not Recovering Well - Help

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
I posted a week ago when mum got taken into hospital after being unwell for a couple of days and then having a fall. She was discharged the following day after just about every test available being done, including CT scan, but nothing showing abnormal. Have since had GP out twice. First one put her on ABs for UTI despite no clinical indicators that she had one.

A week later and she really isnt much better. Unlike other UTIs, after ABs she is up and about within a couple of days. It is a struggle to get her to drink anything but probably getting a two or three small drinks into her, although GPs have confirmed she isnt dehydrated. Still very wobbly and falling. Whenever I get her up and assist her downstairs, 5 minutes later is back in bed and asleep. She has pretty much been in bed asleep for a week now.

I thought I was getting somewhere with food by giving her tiny sandwiches and chocolate biscuits (her food of choice), but have just found her bin full of these sandwiches and her dressing gown full of tissues with half eaten mouthfuls in. This evening I sat with her prompting her to eat but one mouthful and she said she couldnt manage it and out came the tissue. Fortunately she can still swallow her tablets. I doubt that anything like fortisip would help as she has never liked things like soup, milkshakes, yoghurt, etc.

As well as being very wobbly she says she also feels sick, but hasnt actually been sick. She has completely forgotten how to wash or dress, but can walk a few steps now. Fortunately still managing to use the toilet. If I ask her to do anything like "get up", "put arm in sleeve", etc. She just says yes and does nothing. There is so little comprehension. The difference from two weeks ago is unbelieveable.

I am going to get the doctor out again tomorrow, but I am just feeling so sad, overwhelmed and quite tearful. As ever I just need to share on here as so many of you understand what I am going through. I know I have had it so easy for so long, but I am plain scared right now. :(

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear Sue, I'm really sorry to hear how poorly your mum is. Do you think she might be a bit constipated? That might account for the lack of interest in food and wanting to regurgitate.
Hoping you find some answers this week.
Kind regards, Deborah

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
Dear Sue, I'm really sorry to hear how poorly your mum is. Do you think she might be a bit constipated? That might account for the lack of interest in food and wanting to regurgitate.

I did wonder about that, but as she has forgotten how to flush the loo I can confirm things are normal - she has always been VERY regular :rolleyes:

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Or, I wonder if she feels sickly because she is swallowing tablets on an empty stomach? When my mum does that she feels sickly.

You could also consider constipation - but the GP should be able to tell this by feeling her tummy.

I hope she picks up, it is such a worry for you. Thinking of you and sending a hug,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Sue

I's all guesswork on our part but do you think it's just taking your mum longer than usual to recover from whatever it was which caused her falls.

Have ITAs been ruled out?

I hope the GP will be able to come to a conclusion tomorrow.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Sue, I'm sorry to hear of your mum's deterioration. We do try and find a rational reason for these episodes. Sometimes there is one, other times not. My dad had ups and downs for which there wasn't always an obvious cause. I hope the GP can help.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Is it possible she's feeling sick because she hasn't got anything in her stomach? Because that's how I feel when I've gone longer than usual between meals.

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
I am going to get the doctor out again tomorrow, but I am just feeling so sad, overwhelmed and quite tearful. As ever I just need to share on here as so many of you understand what I am going through. I know I have had it so easy for so long, but I am plain scared right now.

Dear Sue

I can have a really good guess at how you are feeling, having had Mum in hospital again and with no explanation as to why she has episodes of struggling with food and drink. There was the usual discussion over whether she had a UTI or not, gave her ABs and when she was just about ready to come home, went straight down again. This sent me completely into "panic mode"I'm afraid:eek:

Then she picked up again. Although the consultant took her off all her meds, as soon as she showed signs of struggling only a couple of days later I got the GP to reinstate the anti-d and so far, touch wood, this has done the trick (apart from the odd touch of constipation to deal with).

So, from my experience the medics don't always have the answers. Though I hope the GP is sympathetic and able to help. I just hope that your Mum can work her way through this and pick up soon.

Love and sympathy
Mary
x

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Sue , Sorry to read about your poorly Mum & jus t wanted to send much Love & Support to you & your Mum at this hard time for you both

Postive Vibes the G P can help

Take Care & Love & Hugs Love Grove x x

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
Hi

Thanks for thinking of me. She was a bit better this morning so rather than call the GP out I spoke to him over the phone and he was really helpful. He has decided to send off a second urine sample for culture in case she is on the wrong ABs. He also said once she had finished this course of ABs he will do another set of bloods. He also spent a lot of time asking how I was coping which was really nice.

Today I decided that as she was a bit better I would force her to stay out of bed. It has been a BIG battle and most of the morning she was slumped asleep in the chair, but I basically put signs everwhere saying she was not allowed to go to bed. She kept going upstairs and bringing the signs down and asking what all they were about, but after a while she started to stay awake for more than 5 minutes and even ventured into the garden a couple of times. Huge improvement on yesterday when I dont think she was actually awake for more than 40 minutes all day.

Still cannot really find the words she wants and living in a total fantasy world. Apparently she has been up a ladder today - which is VERY worrying :rolleyes:

Not much improvement on the eating, but have at least got more drink into her.

I am exhausted !!

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Your GP sounds really nice, sounds as though he has had some personal experience somewhere along the line.

Hope you manage to regather your strength at some point. You are important too. x

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Just read through your Thread and sorry about your Mum. I hope she is stronger now and hopefully drinking more.

You need some rest so hope you get a reasonable night's sleep.