Online Banking

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Heavens above JPG, have you actually stopped to eat over the past 3 months?!

I've only just caught up with this thread and am amazed! As a new Deputy, I have to say I am also appalled - and terrified. All this financial business is worrying me to death as it is, I certainly don't need the bank (Lloyds!) to start causing problems too. I have savings with Nationwide and think I'll transfer the current account to them - if Lloyds will let me.

I hope the AS, OPG and everyone else involved with this gets together to sort this out soon and that bank staff are trained accordingly. Good luck to all of you battleing with this. I've a feeling I'm going to be joining you shortly! and, well done JPG!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well, appalled yes, but don't be terrified Saffie. Things do go wrong, it's true, but not always. And you know what they say about crossing bridges (not that I don't do it myself...)?

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Oh yes, Saffie, I'm eating well. Thank you so much for your kind concern!! :)

But ..... it's driven me to drink! Albeit, just an occasional glass of Shiraz! ;)

It's still being 'looked at' by the OPG and the BBA and also ..... by another 'body' now .... but I'm not boring the pants off the forum by updating it all. By the time it concludes, I'll be sozzled!

Check with Nationwide first, in person and with a Senior Manager preferably, about 'whatever' you have in mind - especially online banking if that's what you want - before you transfer accounts. And now that you're a Deputy, Lloyds can't stop you from transferring the account 'anywhere'. :D

You were a Girl Guide, I hope, Saffie - "you have to be prepared at any moment to face difficulties and even dangers by knowing what to do and how to do it".

That includes using a bottle opener when required, and rubbing two sticks together!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Yes, but Jennifer, this is me and bridges do have a habit of just suddenly looming up in front of me ! :rolleyes: and, as JPG says, it helps to be prepared!

I've actually got a meeting set up on Monday with an advisor from Nationwide - to discuss my affairs, but I might take the Deputy papers with me and ask how things stand re. eventually moving account there. Not sure about online banking for husband though have it with then for myself - would make it easier to keep track i guess so I might mention it.

Keep up with the Shiraz, JPG, it's obviously working wonders!:)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Yes I know about those bridges...

It's so hard - one wants (wisely) to be prepared but then it can be so easy to tip over into panic (and I'm just speaking for myself here).

Yet another fine line to walk. :)

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
I haven't said this for a long while now .....

Don't panic, Saffie.

..... I feel better now. :cool:

davide

Feb 14, 2008
London
For what its worth I had no problems getting online banking access for my late father's accounts under POA with NatWest. The staff in my local branch were always very helpful.

Occasionally I had problems where letters/statements would be sent to him at the care home, rather than to me as attorney, but this seemed to be down to obscurities in the computer system, and whenever I pointed this out they would try to resolve it.

Online banking is so commonplace nowadays - and saves the banks money - so they really ought to be geared up for attorneys to use it.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Just thought I'd say that I had my review with the local Nationwide today andjust before I left I mentioned that in future I would soon be moving most of our the D/Ds to Nationwide as household bills will have to be paid from my half of the occupational pension plus any savings. I added that I would really like to move my husband's pensions and payments there too but would I be able to have internet banking.

I showed here the Deputy paper and she said she thought it would be ok wasn't sure. P of A was fine but not sure about Deputy. She went to check with her manager who also wasn't sure. She then phoned head office - or someone in authority - saying that I "didn't have full Power of Attourney but had Deputyship!"and got a very quick response which was that yes- that's fine, it's virtually the same thing.

So, hopefully, that means Nationwide is Ok with Deputyship and online banking - we knew it was waith P of A as CST101 has recently confirmed. I'm very glad that the tthread was updated ot I'd have missed it. Thank you.:)

PhilA

Jan 1, 2007
Ipswich
As Halifax didn't reply to my last letter to them within the 8 weeks they're given according to the Financial Ombudsman, I raised my case with the Ombudsman. At the weekend I've had a letter from the Ombudsman saying that Halifax have moved my Mum's accounts to a new system and therefore they can now provide me with online access. "All" I have to do is go into a branch to have it all set up. I'm hoping to have time later in the week to do that.

The letter isn't clear if this is a general change of heart (and/or system) by Halifax or if this is a special arrangement for those who complain to the Financial Ombudsman, but I though it worth reporting here as I think there are others in dispute with Halifax over online banking.

The Ombudsman's letter agrees that my mother has been discriminated against in not having access to the higher interest rates available in online accounts, but it's not very clear if it expects Halifax to do anything about that or not. I intend to write back and ask for clarification on that.

It looks like (pending my visit to the local branch at least!) we may have scored a small victory and got them to listen to their customers.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Do keep us posted Phil. It's always valuable to have real life experience reported for these things.

PhilA

Jan 1, 2007
Ipswich
I went in to my local Halifax on Thursday morning. The lady I saw was helpful and knew that they could offer online access under POA. She hadn't done one before and had to check what to do, but having done that the setup part was smooth and easy. She said this is a software change to their systems and so should be available to all their customers.

I now have to wait 3-5 business days for a letter giving me a temporary password (despite having to set my password whilst there, a peculiarity of the system apparently) and then I can log in and should be able to see all Mum's accounts.

Sadly my Mum passed away, very peacefully and gently, yesterday so it will be a close thing whether I get online access before the accounts get shut down waiting for probate. If I do get online access, I'll post back to let you know. I intend to hang on for a day or two before telling them about the death as I'd like to know.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Phil I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. Peacefully and gently is what we would all hope for our loved ones I think.

geum123

May 20, 2009
Phil,
I am so sorry to that your Mum has passed away.
Please accept my condolences.

Geum xxx

PhilA

Jan 1, 2007
Ipswich
Hello again,

Thanks for the kind responses after my last post on here, much appreciated.

I got the letter from Halifax yesterday giving my login details. I've tried today and it all worked as it should. I've taken the opportunity to cancel the standing order to the care home and record the actual account balances for the probate form, so it has been useful to have online access even if only once!

Phil