Drugs advice

anniebananie

Jul 15, 2009
Sorry, asking for advice again!
Have posted quite frequently recently regarding my father, who has sadly been sectioned.
We keep hearing the phrase " trying to sort out his medication ".

As time goes on , this unfortunately appears to mean sorting out whatever medication will keep him dopey and quiet.
When he was first admitted, I was advised that anti psychotic drugs would only be administered if he was anxious & upset, and would be quite strictly controlled.
A few weeks on, and it appears they are being administered as routine medication.

The end result, of course, is that my father is doped up, docile, and quite frankly broken.

We are tearing our hair out wondering what to do for the best. Should we fight the consultants & argue against these drugs, and keep our dad more aware for longer - or just let them carry on and let him slide away from us more quickly but with possibly less suffering for him.

Any advice appreciated.

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
Fight the decision of the consultant Who by the sounds of it knows nothing about dementia apart from what they read in a book called one hat fits all :mad:
You know your dad best and any deterioration in your dads mental state caused by the drugs is neglect of care by the consultant and abuse!.

Its all about quality of life and keeping it that way for as long as possible!

Too many so called doctors are still dishing out these drugs as an easy way of making their and the carers life's easy and ignoring new scientific and government recommendations. There are better ways of controlling behaviour problems with out the use of these chemical coshes like anti-psychotic drugs. :mad:
It's totally wrong what they are doing with theses anti-psychotic drugs :mad: