Mums speech is so muddled

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Mums speech is getting really muddled I am now struggling to understand what she means i have asked the gp and have cut her risperidone down by half because she was like a zombie and I would rather drive her around at night then see her like this touch wood she has not got angry with me yet in fact she's very clingy
Mum seems to be in her own little world most of the time now and I have to guess what she is trying to say
Took her down the seafront today and she was happy watching the children playing mum and Bertie both enjoyed a ice cream
Have gave up on the neck collar because she gets very upset when it's on her waiting for a beany one which I hope will be betters so I'm trying to make the most of the good bits love larivy

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
hI Larivy,

With Alan having lost intelligible speech and language, I can really understand how difficult this is. Do you think using little pictures might help? I made up little pictures which I kept in a small photo album of a toilet, drink, family members etc. I know your mum can't use her arms to point to what she might mean but she might let you know what she means if you point at each thing for her in the hope that she'll let you know if you get to what she means!!! It worked for Alan for a little while. I found the best thing was to keep my facial expressions and tone of voice as positive as possible and that way it stopped Alan from fretting.

I hope this is just a blip Larivy. I can't imagine your mum not singing her songs and knowing all those words.

Love

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I hope your GP is able to help Larivy. It must be very upsetting for you. We use the picture system in school with children who have communication difficulties. Wishing you strength. x

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
It's awful Larivy, but for your mum it is such a good thing that you know her so very well that you can probably guess at what it is she wants a lot of the time, I hope things improve with the reduced risperidone. I think you are right to take the collar off too.
love Pippa xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear larivy

I hope cutting down the Risperidone helps. I can imagine how upsetting it is for your mum to lose her language. I am well aware how lucky we are Dhiren still has his.

Good to hear she can still get pleasure at the sea side and from an ice cream. I hope you don`t have to wait too long for the beanie support. x

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello Larivy, I'm sorry to hear about your mum's difficulties. It doesn't sound as though she has lost every aspect of 'quality of life' though, from what you say.
You are so good to your mum and she must get huge pleasure from all the trips and treats you think of for her.

I hope you get the beanie cushion soon. Will it be one of those horseshoe-shaped ones? I think I have some spare ones somewhere that my mum used, if so. If it would help, I could bring them over for you.

Love to you all and a sloppy kiss for Bertie. x

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
Hi Larivy
When I worked as an ot assistant we used picture boards for stroke patients who had lost their speech and they were really very helpful. It may help your mum to feel she's more in control of her communication as well although I know you're fine tuned into her to guess what she needs most of the time.

This must be so distressing for you, knowing how much you care, my heart goes out to you xxxxxxe

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Thank you everyone mum has been very tired today I took her shopping her favourite past time but she even fell asleep in her wheelchair:eek:
The beany collar is like the sponge ones it goes right round her neck thank you for for thinking of us though Deborah
I have not tried picture cards but mum won't be able to point to what one she means but I will make some and see when she's awake and on the ball she's not to bad but it's as she gets tired when I don't think she knows what she means love larivy

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
Mum can't point of course but she may be able to make a noise or some response when you point to the right picture. can she still follow instructions? so if you explain to her the board, would she understand what it's for? xxxe

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Hi Elaine I'm not sure I will draw some and see it's just she's so muddled I'm not sure what to point at
Hope you have a good visit with Gary tomorrow love larivy

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Dear Larivy,
I know how difficult it was with my mum not being able to communicate and my heart goes out to you. I hope it's just a phase and that you can soon make sense of her again soon.
Love to you and your mum xxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark65