Don't curse the darkness - light a candle

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Heard this saying the other night "dont curse the darkness - light a candle"
and its really inspired me
I also heard Jan Meek a motivational speaker talking about Carpe Deum -Sieze the moment so there seems to be a theme in my life at the moment!:)

Its really inspired me about the exhibition and talking about Memory books at the artist in residence evening

Anyway I wondered if others would like to join in this thread I have decided to try to do a random act of kindness a day as a lighting a candle exercise and wondered if others would like to do the same and we could record our acts not to boast about them just to inspire each other along the way especially when its particularly dark

Here goes -

yesterday i noticed a neighbours house and car keys still in the lock of their mail box so i knocked and gave them back to them He said he was due to pick up his little girl from nursery and would never have thought of looking there and would have got in a terrible state looking for them

today I spent some time with one of H's friends so she could finish off her chores which meant i lost the thread in the exhibition planning but hey ho I will pick it up again later!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Well done Sarah. A lovely idea.

When I go for a Cliff Top walk most days, I say Good Morning to anyone who is walking or sitting alone. When I have time I sit and talk to people who look as if they would welcome a chat. So far everyone has.

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
That's very sad for him Kassy, bless him but you'll take your caring nature to your new home and your new neighbours will benefit from having you there :) xxxxe

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Sarah , Hope you are well & thanks for a lovely Thread :) was bit :confused: to start with ! ! ! untill i read read it all !
Not sure if this counts or not but here it is : HELPED Find MISSING MAN WITH Dementia

* Earlier this week went on a Outing with my W I to Whitby

* My friend & myself were walking along the Path & another W I Member said have you seen G ,s Husband & i said no , W I Lady said he has Dementia & i got :eek:

* It was very busy & the Man had been missing for a half hour or more , so asked a local person where the Police Station was G & my self were walking up to the Station , when we saw a very :):) sight a Police Officer with G's Husband :):) ! !

So was very pleased the Man had taken Him self to the Police Station ! ! !

His Wife told me he " Wanders Off " quite a bit ! ! ! & then finds his Wife !

Love Grove x x

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
A real meaningful saying

hello
The posts so far in this thread are very meaningful to me in two dfferent ways
to me it is always a great pleasure to see a smile on peoples faces when you say good
day to them , so many times they look surprised
Why nowadays do people not greet each other and often look down when you approach them??
I am lucky, I am an old man and people do seem to respond to that
but I have always been the same, I will always say good morning to everyone
the postmen, road sweepers, mothers and their children , and it is always a great pleasure to see the responce I get from the younger teenagers
instead of the glum looking down at the floor ,or straight past you I know many
who will greet me with a smile.
Where I live there are many immigrant families and it is sad to see them as they
try to avoid eye contact I suppose because of thier fear of being ignored
although I will perhaps say no more than good morning to them it is great to see a wellcoming smile (That will always be there in the future )
I mentioned that it is meaningful to me in two ways since my wife died I live on my own in a very quiet cul de sac and rarely see my present neighbors most of my old neighbours have passed away and the new people are often young and rarely seen
My contact with people is often no more than a smile and a quick Hello , but it gives me a 'lift' for the day
And I know from their cheerful responses that I have at least given some joy to the people I greet, at least I don't think I have made them miserable
So I feel that in a small way both I and the people who respond to my greeting

Don't curse the darkness - but we light a candle for each other
jimbo 111

Last edited:

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Sarah , Thanks for your kind words think the "Caring in Me " :) is partly being a Brownie & now being a Brownie Leader , Brownie Motto L - A- H ( Lend A Hand ) ! ! !

& also with my Father having Dementia & knowing how serious it can be to be lost

( Would like to think if Dad was lost or hurt a Caring Person would Help Him )

Hope your Bike is fixed soon :)

Take Care & enjoy the week end , Love Grove x x x

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
last night I got really inspired so i took this photo to encourage us
think I'll use it in the exhibition

Attachments

• dontcurse the darkness (599x800).jpg
    dontcurse the darkness (599x800).jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 636

CYN

Jan 4, 2008
east sussex
candles

When i was visiting Lincoln cathedral my friend and i lit candles for our late husbands.
we both thought the earthenware bowls were much nicer than the usual metal stands.

Attachments

• small candles.JPG
    small candles.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 598

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Sarah , Love your Photo & yes good idea to Share it with us all , Thank You Sarah for Posting it on T P :)

Best Wishes

Love Grove x x

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Responding to CYN's post about Lincoln Cathedral. It has a special place in my heart and I wish I could visit more often. #

Cyn - hope you are reading this. Are trhe wooden carvings still there indicating the steps to the Cross? They are beautiful and the guy that did them had brain damage and they were part of his recovery :).

I will be there next month and cannot wait.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
The darkness
today i was upset cos matilda has lost one of her chains thats why she went out of control

The candle - so I decided to use it as an opportunity to visit the neighbours and one of them invited me in and he and his wife sat for ages and chatted and we had a cup of tea:D

CYN

Jan 4, 2008
east sussex
Yes Jan the carvings are still there. i thought they were wonderful but i did not have time to learn about the making of them , as our time was limited on a coach trip.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am in Lincoln next month and hope to get to the Cathedral. Must remember to take my camera.

Sorry Sarah, diverting from your Thread which I think is excellent.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Yes, a reminder about the simple things making a lot of difference is a good thing....

When I was a new mum in an area where I knew no-one, sometimes the brief chat to the checkout person at Tescos was the only conversation I had with an adult in a day (actually, several days as I live in a rural area so only went into town perhaps once a week) apart from my husband - it was a small thing, but it made so much difference...

and I haven't forgotten what it meant to me, so try to remember to do the same for others - and actually, sometimes it still is the only conversation I have with an adult in several days 20 years on!

But I am grateful even for those small interractions, so please anyone else keep them up! ;)

my wife

Apr 29, 2011
manchester
my wife

Isn't it funny how things happen re this thread, I was in the local shop on Friday when I saw £30.00 just lying on the floor and a man just walking away, I asked if he had lost anything, he went through his pockets and said no!.

Finished shopping and was about to hand the cash in at the till when I saw a man with a load of shopping frantically going through his pockets, I asked if he had lost something and guess what, he said £30 & I was able to give it back.

While this seems nothing it was the fact that he said "Thank you that was my last £30, there are still real people still around

Dave:):):)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathyann