Memantine Tablets

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
Hi
My mum who is 82 and has been in her carehome for a year has been taking aricept for about two years. Mum is heading towards late stage dementia and it has been suggested that she stop taking aricept and start on memantine tablets.

Mum has become more verbally agressive and has no inhibitions whatsoever and it is thought that the memantine tablets will help.

I wondered if anyone has experience of these tabletsl? I've googled them and read that they are used for the later stages of dementia but I'm concerned as to the side affects but I realise that all tablets have side affects.

Thank you Dibs (Deborah) xx

hongkongsandy

Mar 3, 2009
uk
Hi, My mum has taken ebixa for about 10 mths. right from the start within a few days a big improvement in mum was seen. She was more coherrent and able to do more stuff. She seemed happier as well.

She seems to have detiorated a fair bit now but i know the tablets help - on the odd occasion she has missed a dose it is noticable.

I have read of people benefitting for long periods (several years). Mum never suffered from any side effects, but she is only 65 and physically fit. To me the potential benefit outweighed the risk

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I have certainly heard that Memantine can be prescribed for agression and so on; it appears to help with not just the 'classic' dementia problems but also to help calm down agression, paranoia, etc

On the consultants report, he was considering putting my dad on Memantine to see if it would help with the agression and paranoid delusions

Personally I wouldn;t worry about side-effects unless and until you get them!

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi
My mum was on memantine (ebixa) for several yrs
Though mum did not actually improve , they did rapidly (within a week:) ) halt the almist daily backward slide.

Ebixa gave mum over two yrs of stability.then when the decline started again it was very very slow , then amazingly seemed to start working again in mums last yr .
Mum suffered no side effects

They did not help with mums agression ect but what helps one wont help another .

Think its well worth u trying them
I have also heard ( think it was on TP but not sure) of people being prescribed Ebixa and aricept

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
Thank you for your replies.

Hopefully the tablets will help mum as she progresses with her alzhiemers and I will try not to worry about side affects as I realise now that she might not even suffer from any and I know that mum will be monitored so fingers crossed it does help.
Love Dibs (Deborah) x :)

RobertE

Jan 10, 2008
Ebixa

I was about to ask a very similar question. My mum is currently on galantamine but due to extreme restlessness/agitation her consultant has agreed she should switch to Ebixa. It was interesting to read how other people's relatives responded to this treatment. Any improvement, however small, would be most welcomed so fingers crossed.

All the best with your mum, Dibs.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother has been on memantine and galantamine for several years now. We definitely noticed an improvement when she went on the memantine. I don't know how much it is doing for her now but my sister and I are not willing to risk a quicker decline, which we saw happen to a friend's mother who was taken off her AD meds for two months.

dabeat

Aug 2, 2011
dabeat

Hi, My mum has taken ebixa for about 10 mths. right from the start within a few days a big improvement in mum was seen. She was more coherrent and able to do more stuff. She seemed happier as well.

She seems to have detiorated a fair bit now but i know the tablets help - on the odd occasion she has missed a dose it is noticable.

I have read of people benefitting for long periods (several years). Mum never suffered from any side effects, but she is only 65 and physically fit. To me the potential benefit outweighed the risk

My wife is 65 and has been on ebixa for two years after a very brief period on aricept. I don't know if the ebixa has slowed down the effects but then, there is no comparison I can make. However, she is getting worse -- no aggression, just incredible forgetfulness, lack of confidence, perception and at times disorientation. Sometimes says she feels giddy and wobbly and blames the ebixa. Anuone else experience this, and what is the general feeling about increasing doses as the condition worsens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare