MIL has now broken her hip!!!!

Angel1973

Mar 15, 2011
N Ireland
The past few weeks have seen some dramatic changes in our circumstances. My MIL was sectioned to a secure memory unit just over 2 weeks ago.

We saw a very mobile and lively woman turn into a subdued, slurring shell of her former self. This we found difficult although we had just started to accept this as she seemed more at peace within herself and the nurses were starting to get the agression and violence under control. She was clean, calm and more accepting of her new surroundings.

Last night things took a further turn! My MIL fell at the bottom of her bed - not out of the bed and this morning it was confirmed she has broken her hip. She is being operated on tomorrow hopefully but can anyone tell me what the recovery is like? Will she be able to return to the memory unit? Will she be able to walk? Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
The past few weeks have seen some dramatic changes in our it was confirmed she has broken her hip. She is being operated on tomorrow hopefully but can anyone tell me what the recovery is like? Will she be able to return to the memory unit? Will she be able to walk? Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hello Angel, I'm so sorry to hear about your MiL. I can't advise about the recovery process, but suspect it might be a very individual thing.

Wishing her a very speedy recovery. Kind regards Deborah

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
So sorry to hear about this accident. I hope she recovers well.

Last edited:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Angel
Im sorry to hear about your MIL .
I hope she recovers quickly and well xxxx

Last edited:

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Angel, I am sorry to hear about your mother in law.
My mum aged 83 broke her right hip in her care home three weeks ago. We don't know how she did it but she told the carer she couldn't get out of bed.
Prior to breaking her hip mum was physically very fit.
Mum had a general anaesthetic so was very confused for a few days after surgery. When I first visited she didn't know me. I was able to go down with her for an xray. This was five days after surgery. She kept insisting that she could walk perfectly well that morning. I think the main problem with my mum was that she couldn't remember she had broken her hip so for example when she saw my sister she let go of the walking frame and was caught by a nurse and my sister. She had a fall in hospital nine days after surgery thankfully on the other side so she didn't do any damage.
Mum was discharged two weeks after breaking her hip. She is walking reasonably well with a frame. She has not yet regained her appetite so has lost some weight. I had some very helpful replies when I posted about Mum's broken hip.
Please let us know how your mother in law is getting on.

Turbo

nocturne

Nov 23, 2009
Yorkshrie
Hi Angel,
Mum broke her hip in October last year. She was very confused for a while after the general anaesthetic but came round again in a few days. The hospital had her up and trying to walk within a couple of days and she was only in for a week. They did have to check with the care home that they could cope. Mum needed a wheelchair to get to the dining room for a while as it was a fair walk. Now she just uses her zimmer. I think she would have made it to just needing a stick if she had not picked up another imfection and ended up in hospital. That set her back with both physio and confusion. I do think it was caused by the alendronic acid she was put on because of the broken hip. It has to be taken in such a careful way - full glass of water , sitting upright for half an hour afterwards - and mum just did not comply. Needs watching if you MIL is put on it.
I don't see why she shouold not make a good recovery and go back to the same home if she is settled there.
Hope it goes well for her and you and your family.
Jan

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
It depends on:

1) Your MIL's general physical health

2) The nature and severity of the fracture - some types are much more readily repaired by surgery than others in which case a degree of mobility is possible almost right away

3) How co-operative your MIL can be. This is because physiotherapy and mobility following surgery involve a degree of discomfort. If your MIL lacks the capacity to understand that moving around, even though uncomfortable at first, is necessary to regain mobility this can present problems

4) Your MIL's response to the surgery and general anaesthetic. Sadly GA's and dementia do not mix well, and greatly increased confusion and other dementia symptoms is common following surgery although it should improve in time (indeed, it is fairly common in patients who don;t have dementia, particularly the elderly - as might be expected, they simply don't "bounce back" as well)

It is all highly individual. Most patients do regain the ability to walk although some will always require something like a zimmerframe

Don;t be surprised if the hospital are trying to get MIL out of bed and partially mobile very soon after the operation.

Angel1973

Mar 15, 2011
N Ireland
Thanks everyone for your replies - the good wishes and personal experiences were just what we needed to hear right now!

My husband and i were at the hospital today staight after MILs operation. She was still sleeping but we had a few words with her Dr. As far as he was concered the operation went well but explained that recovery is down to the individual and their particular circumstances. However,we were very shocked by his direct manner and the statistics he quoted - 50% of patients with a hip break/op die within a year!!!! Not what we needed to hear today im afraid! Poor DH is at his wits end right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch