Going on holiday?

kd7279

Jan 13, 2010
Thanet, Kent
Have any of you carers taken your charge on holiday? I have been thinking of taking my wife for a break but feel that I have to be careful what, where and how. Flying would be out of the question as she could (although unlikely) have a panic attack in flight. So, the options would be a cruise (would SAGA accept an AZ sufferer?) Hotel break (wandering plus restaurant/feeding problems) or self catering in UK.
I'd be interested in others experiences.
Smile and wave.
Keith

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Hi Keith

My mum lived in Scotland for 35 years and she moved back to N.Ireland with my family when we moved over from Scotland in 97 from 98 till 06 mum went back to Scotland twice a year for a holiday and stayed with the same niece.In Feb 07 she was diagnosed with Alzheimer,s and in May of that year we took her back to Scotland we were going for the weekend and she was staying for the week coming home on her own,before we left here she was fine but during the weekend i knew i could not leave her she had no idea were she was and was totally confused and had no idea she was suppose to stay for a week.I didn,t know what i was going to do onced we came home but when we got home she was fine,i learned it was because i took her out of her own environment,i know this might not help you much but its something to be aware of,take care Marian

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Keith

The two big problems I had were;

a] Using public toilets. When I came out Dhiren had vanished.
b] Dhiren waking in the night and going walkabout.

So good luck. :)

Hinny

Nov 4, 2010
Germany
Hello Keith, I suppose it depends on how far the illness is advanced. Four years ago my Mam and her best friend flew here to me. She managed the flight but I think it was exhausting for her friend as Mam was very confused as to why she was sat in a plane. She was confused not being in her own environment and one day I thought she had gone to the toilet and I found her in the outside hall( we live in a flat) and she was just about to get into the lift. She had no idea where the loo was.I have a marble floor with little silvery bits in it and she kept bending down to touch it as she thought it was constantly moving. When I think back now, it must have been a horror story for her. But I thought it would do her good and even more that it would give Dad a rest. You have to make your own decision as you know best but I just wanted to share this with you. Hinny

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Hi keith I took mum away to Tenerife in march mum is in a wheelchair most of the time so can't wander also she sleeps on the plane we did have a couple of problems when they needed to take her bag for take off so she had a bum bag on our return flight mum was very confused we went for a month and I would say it took her at least a week to settle the same when we come home proberly longer also it was very lonely for me It depends how far along this horrible journey your wife is we did go self catering will I be doing it again no larivy

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Holidays and travelling

I think you might find this link useful: http://www.dementiaweb.org.uk/holidays-and-travelling.php

The Vitalise supported holiday breaks look interesting but not cheap! http://www.vitalise.org.uk/centre_breaks/about_our_breaks/
I'm not advertising, it's just the hyperlink on the dementiaweb page doesn't work.

We used to take MIL on holiday every year, which she loved because she loves travelling in the car and always used to enjoy gardens, stately homes, poking in shops, wandering through markets etc. In recent years we had to put large labels on each of the doors in the holiday house with 'KITCHEN' 'MUM'S BATHROOM' etc. because she could not retain a plan of the house in her head. However, she just doesn't seem to see the notices and blunders around from room to room. We have found that leaving the lights on in her bathroom all the time means that she can usually find it as she is looking for the light (she has a light on in her hall at home all the time).

When she goes home from holiday it takes her a week or two to settle because she has to recapture her own routines (she lives on her own). She does enjoy her son's cooking though. She also gets very restless on holiday because again she has no routine or purpose to her time and seems unable to relax. This was not so until a couple of years ago, when she could still read books and enjoy television. We decided last summer that was the last time we would take her away from home because she wasn't really enjoying being on holiday any more and she found it hard to recognise her own house at first when she returned. She loves day trips so that is what we will do from now on.

Last edited:

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Our Alzheimer's Society worker told me that cruises are best as the sufferer can't wander far, however we haven't tried it yet. Jack is in early/moderate stages and we go on holiday a lot, while we can, I know Saga insurance Alzheimer sufferers because that's who we use, and I don't see why they wouldn't accept a sufferer on their holidays. Probably the only way to find out is to give it a try. Jack loves his holidays at the moment, it's me who is glad to be back home :) Love Pauline xx

xanadu777

Apr 2, 2011
Dyfed
I found that taking my wife out of her environment for a 'holiday' simply disorientated her and so she did not enjoy the break at all, and when we returned home it took almost another week for her to settle. I now find that going for short day trips in the countryside in the car and having a picnic gives the most pleasure and can be done on impulse when my wife is having a good day which maximises the pleasure. Not for everyone I'm sure but thought it might help.

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
I found that taking my wife out of her environment for a 'holiday' simply disorientated her and so she did not enjoy the break at all, and when we returned home it took almost another week for her to settle. I now find that going for short day trips in the countryside in the car and having a picnic gives the most pleasure and can be done on impulse when my wife is having a good day which maximises the pleasure. Not for everyone I'm sure but thought it might help.

i think that's a good idea, love Pauline x

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
The most difficult for me was my husband's need for toilets as he needed guidance to find them, plus immobility problems.

I am sure a Customer Services rep within Saga would advise you on the suitability of a cruise.

They have a good reputation. An 85 year old friend, who is frail but not with dementia, went on a world wide cruise. She suffered a lung embolism in Sydney; they organised her treatment and a week later flew her to NZ to continue the journey.

If you can manage it please take a holiday whilst you can. We did ultimately do the regular picnics and rides into the country; also pub lunches whilst my husband was still able.

kd7279

Jan 13, 2010
Thanet, Kent
Hi all,
Thanks for all your replies, responces and experiences. This is what TP is all about after all.
It would appear that the general opinion is that day trips/picnics would be the preferred option with the possibility of a SAGA holiday or cruise being an outside option. I must confess that when we do go out I am always mindeful of the locations of disabled toilets. The majority of pubs don't have these nor do a lot of tea rooms.
Taking Dot out of Hospital for lunch today. Only problem is taking her back and explaining that she has to stay for 'a few more days'. Wish me luck!
Smile and wave.
Keith

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Interesting to hear about cruises I thought this would be the best kind of holiday but when I spoke to mums consultant last year they did not recommend a cruise :eek: larivu