Hoists

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Rural North Northumberland
As many of you know my MIL and FIL both live with us and both have dementia. MIL's mobility is very impaired. My MIL had a stroke on Sunday and we are caring for her here at home. Our GP has been calling in every day and we have had nurses offering advice. MIL can only just take her own wait but with support from us and so has to be moved everywhere in the wheelchair. We are finding it very hard - mentally and physically. We have an OT coming today and are awaiting the delivery of a lifting hoist does anyone have any experience of these. The OT is going to show us how it works but would like to know from anyone who has one of these. Thanks in advance.

chucky

Feb 17, 2011
UK
Flowerpot, i applaud you for your courage, two dementia sufferers and care at home, i couldnt begin to imagine what you must go through. You are obviously a very caring person and you should be very proud of yourself. I havent personally experience of hoists but i have seen them being used at the CH my dads in and they look like its very hard work. Im assuming there tailored for weight, height etc but not sure. Hopefully someone will come along with better advice, i just wanted to say how much i admire what you do. Best wishes. xx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Same from me, Flowerpot. Same from me. Please take care of yourself, and don't go straining your back. The hoist should help, but make sure you are clear about how to use it safely for yourself and your MiL.

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello Flowerpot. I have had some experience of using a hoist and it was quite simple (but also bulky!) and easy to use once you get the hang of it. I agree, be clear about the instructions.

The one thing I have also read is that the person who is to be lifted can be frightened but it, suddenly finding the ground disappearing from under them can be alarming.

My best wishes to you all, I do admire you. Please make sure you have all the help that you can and some time for yourself! xx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
The one thing I have also read is that the person who is to be lifted can be frightened but it, suddenly finding the ground disappearing from under them can be alarming.

xx

That is so true. My mum used to hate being hoisted, but it was hard to explain to her why it was needed. I hope it may be easier for you and yours.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Mum screams when she is hoisted as she doesn't remember that she needs it. It is very stressful for all concerned. Watch out that your MIL doesn't try to grab onto things and has her hands tucked in.

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
Hello Flowerpot

When Mum came out of hospital having spent three weeks in bed, she was extremely stiff and her already bad mobility was even worse. Our new care agency insisted on SS providing a hoist. It does take up a lot of room (and now Mum is a little more mobile the carers no longer use it as with them helping Mum can walk a few steps.) However it was very good when it was needed although needs two people to operate, especially if a dementia sufferer is likely to get confused or agitated.

I apologise if I am speaking out of turn but from my own experience of someone with bad mobility I would ask the following questions as I know only too well how physically demanding it is. Do you have any carers to help you? Have you any other equipment or do you need the OT to provide anything else. We find a wheeled commode, for example, extremly useful. Have you had any advice from a physiotherapist to try and maintain as much mobility as possible?

Do let us know how you get on, but please do take care of yourself.

Mary
x

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Thanks Contrary Mary, we have a wheeled commode which is a great help and two OT's coming out this afternoon to show us how to use the hoist which has just been delivered about fifteen ago. We also have a stair lift. Other items have arrived with the hoist but haven't checked anything out yet. We are in the process of seeing about extra help. Will let you all know how we get on. Fingers crossed all will be ok and MIL will be ok using the hoist:confused:

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Hello flowerpot, I have a Hoist for my husband without this standing hoist I would not be able to keep my husband home, I can manage this single handed, just trying to obtain a better sling which will make Trev more comfy, but it will make such a difference for cared and carer , if you need any advice please feel free to ask Pam

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Hoista and slings

Hi Flowerpot,
When I removed my wife from a NH she was light enough for me to lift her. In addition to no speech, rigidity had set in and as she gained weight I had to have a hoist, supplied with a number of slings. Once shown how to use the hoist I found it easy to use and managed on my own for almost five years till her passing. Once I settled on the most suitable sling to use I used it to transfer her from bed to commode to take her for her daily shower. Then transferred her back to bed to finish off her drying; fit her pad and dressed her with cloths off a bedside radiator. I then transferred her to a Kirton high chair to feed her meals. I transferred her with the hoist to the wheelchair each day to take her for a walk; shopping, when I visited the bank, dentist or any other place we/I required to go. We went every where together. The only lifting I had to do was in and out of the car.
It proved no problem to use the hoist after a while.
Second picture is of Jean in the Kirton adjustable chair. Hope this is of help!

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 475
  • 24-10-2004-08.jpg
    24-10-2004-08.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 499

sunny

Sep 1, 2006
Yes I have used two types of hoist (one where a person can stand on the hoist and be moved and a full hoist - the person is completely in the hoist and is moved via that).

One thing you need to have when using hoists is good ground clearance for the movement of the hoist so I hope you have got that in your house or you may find you have to move some items of furniture to make room and also make sure it is always charged up. Nothing worse than when you go to use it is out of power.

Make sure the OT shows you properly how to use the hoist with your relatives before they go and it is not a rushed effort and ask them any questions you have i.e. about charging the battery etc. I found the hoists very useful.
Your relatives may take a time to get used to a hoist, at first they might be frightened but it is learning process and it will save your back.

Last edited:

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Hello Flowerpot,
I see you have had a lot of good advice already, but can I add a few things to them.

I have been using a hoist for the last 4 years for my husband and also my late mother who are/were both stroke survivors. The hoist itself is easily managed once you know how to. One person can do it at a push but I would recommend you always have two people operating it to ensure you have your eyes everywhere.

A good positioning in the sling is essential to get a good landing as is pushing back and down on the kneeswhen going in to a chair/wheelchair.
Ensure the sling is supporting the head fully I always put my arm around my husbands neck as well.

I would recommend you practice on each other, go in the sling yourself and try how daunting it is, that way you will appreciate what your cared for feels like just much worse as they are frightened and cannot hold their weight themselves.

Make it routine to put the battery on charge after each use, that way you will not come unstuck.

Please PM me if you have any further queries I would be pleased to help.

Well done for caring at home for two people, it can be done with a good routine, I did it for years, but please make sure you have good community support.

Wishing you all the very best.

P.S. Have you got electric beds and airmattresses, which are almost essential for use when hoisting?

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Thank you all so much for your advice. There were two OT's who came to see us on Friday afternoon and were here for three hours. The hoist had arrived earlier in the day. As it turned out its a lifting stand not a hoist. They showed us how to use it with MIL but she wasn't too keen. She has recovered slightly since last weeks stroke and we haven't used the lifting stand over the weekend as we were also supplied with a belt with many loops around it that fastens around her waist and find that this is a great help for giving her the extra support she needs when trying to stand.

Once again thank you all so much for your very helpful advice it's very much appreciated. We will probably need to use the lifting stand and or hoists in the not too distant future.