Ideas

lindyt

Feb 2, 2011
south tyneside
Not sure how to use this but will give it a go for my own sanity.

For the past 2years i have cared for my mam and dad but sadly lost dad in october last year. Mam has early stages alzheimers and she goes for her second memory test this month but she doesnt think there is anything wrong with her. I keep reassuring her its just old age but lately things seem to be getting worse. She has no idea of the month we lost dad and is obsessed with any post she receives. I sort everything out for her bills shopping meals etc but wonder how much she is able to cope with herself. Am i doing to much for her and should i stand back and leave her to cope with basic tasks etc. I get very frustrated as when i try and ask her what year it is or month she gets annoyed and can get a bit aggressive so dont know if i am doing right for doing wrong. Mams memory has been bad for at least couple of years but came to a high after dad died and she couldnt remember anything about him being poorly and was quite confused. she still asks about funeral etc which is really hard for her and me.
Feel like I am droning on about this but sometimes i feel so alone as i am caring for her 7days a week with little breaks. The only good thing is she doesnt walk far so i know that she wouldnt wonder out of house through the night. Sometimes I dont know what is true and what is not !! she says she sleeps ok then up all night so not sure which is right. I do get frustrated and need to walk away at times but its very hard. Any ideas on how to get mam to motivate herself and not just sit doing nothing. thanks

MissisT

Dec 1, 2010
Essex
Hi lindyt - welcome to TP. I think you would do much better to post this in the section for 'support for people with dementia and their carers' - far more people will see it there and will be able to advise you.

I completely understand how alone you feel - my husband has Alzheimer's and he is so forgetful. I'm so pleased I found this forum, it has been a huge help and everyone is very supportive.

Teresa x

lindyt

Feb 2, 2011
south tyneside
thanks for the reply. I realised i had posted under wrong heading and have inserted another post!!! hope this will help me as it has done yourself.

So sad to see your loved ones going through such a terrible time. I do hope your husband is well and that you are coping ok.

many thanks for your advice and hopefully i will get the hang of using TP.

Linda x

Purrdy

Feb 1, 2011
Kent
Hi, I dont like to say these words but ' I know how you feel', your situation sounds very much like mine. Being on call 24/7 is hard and you are both going to have good and bad days but when you are feeling down and all getting a bit much then you must for your own sake, take time out. What (did)does your mum enjoying doing? Mine use to go to the hairdresser every week and even though she doesn't want to go and its hard work to get her there sometimes, once she's been she feels alot better. If the weather permits try and take her for a short walk, even ifs 5 mins and then turn around.
Do you have any help where you can get respite? Or perhaps a carers group, where you both can go?
Stay strong and keep on droning if it helps:)

lindyt

Feb 2, 2011
south tyneside
Hi
Thank you for your reply> I feel so emotional knowing others in same boat and wished i had joined this forum months ago.
Mam likes sewing and i take her to a small club once a week but lately she seems to have no energy and cant be bothered so dont like to push it at the minute. Cant wait for some sunshine so i can get her out, she cant walk far tho but anything is better than nothing. I am going to try and find a day centre where i can go with her to get her out of the house at times i feel like her comfort blanket as mam has never been very sociable and doesnt have much conversation.
So very please i can use this TP know it will be a huge help to me.

Hope you well thanks again for advice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch