Seeking reassurance re feeding

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
So many times when I've been in hospitals as patient or visitor and have held cups of drink for elderly patients who would otherwise not have had anything.

But once my mother was scolded for doing that for someone else in a local home, "she can feed herself". It's a difficult one that, when other people were feeding my mother, I was afraid she'd lose the use of her hands. You have to spend so much time with someone to know how much she can do for herself, and how much needs spoonfeeding.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
jeannette said:
Thanks for these messages. The PALS tip is a good one - there's an office in the hospital, and we'll see how things go in the next day or two.

The last time my mum was in hospital I phoned PALS. They set up a meeting with myself, my sister, the ward sister and the PALS manager. The main problem we were experiencing was lack of communication and we tried to stress the positives eg commenting on examples of good care that we had seen my mum given. Things improved for a while regarding the communication issue but deteriorated again after that. If she had stayed in longer I would have called PALS again but she was discharged soon after.

I would definitely give it a go. I know there is always the worry that it will somehow negatively affect your mum's care but I think it is unlikely in your case and really they already have a black mark against them if your mum has MRSA. Sometimes you are only taken seriously if you make it official and if PALS set up a meeting and attend it themselves they will usually take minutes.

jeannette

Feb 27, 2006
Okay, guys, we'll be going hard after info and communication tomorrow. Today's nursing - Sunday, okay, but the patients were still just as poorly - was abysmal. First time I've said that. Junior nurse had no business nursing. Senior got the job done (had little choice with me not giving up till she did) but was basically being a rude cow. Not verbally, of course, but very unpleasant. Mum's other visitors after I left totally agreed, so it wasn't just my mood.
Not sure how I'll ever get any work done again (I'm a writer and need just a smidgen of peace and a lot of inspiration - more important fish to fry right now.)

One funny moment while I was doing my soothing/relaxing bit after her pain shot this afternoon, telling her it was going to get better soon etc and burbling on. I paused, left her a small space into which she said one word: Rubbish. I loved it.