BBC 1 this morning and CHC

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Hi, the BBC have a discussion on about CHC this morning , they have an expert on in an hour and have just interviewed Barbara from the society about the fairness of the system in helping people with Alzheimers x

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Interesting, there have been a lot of comments on the show.
What is worrying me is that they keep mentioning the need for a fundamental review. Making sure that guidelines are being followed properly as PCTs are clearly ducking out of the guidelines to save money.

How long will this review take?
Is it good to have a fundamental review on NHS CC funding during a recession?
Why call it Continuing Care if it is being withdrawn in later stages?

Raising more questions than answers. What I hate about the NHS CC quicksand is that appeals comes at a time when families just want to focus on care and are way to stressed to take a powerful PCT or government bodies to task. So I've got to agree that overhaul is needed. Just wish they'd get on with it.

Just my personal thoughts after listening today
Craig

Last edited:

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Review

How long will this review take?

The answer is a piece of string Craig, because first they'll need to have a review of the needs to have a review of the system. Then they'll need costing reviews, and implementation reviews by which time there will have been 2 General Elections and several Budgets and there will be no available finance anyway!! Am I cynical...you bet I am.

Amy Gornall

Nov 27, 2010
Cheshire.
how much do the society get funded a year from the goverenment???
i have heard that it is nothing at all but am finding it hard to believe!!

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
this was just on the BBC news channel but they interrupted it because of 'breaking news' which turned out to be the fact that Azil Nadir has been arrested for breach of bail conditions - they obviously consider that to be more important than a story about something that affects thousands of seriously ill people and their families.

They have finished talking about Azil Nadir now but not gone back to the CHC piece. :mad:

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Raising more questions than answers. What I hate about the NHS CC quicksand is that appeals comes at a time when families just want to focus on care and are way to stressed to take a powerful PCT or government bodies to task. So I've got to agree that overhaul is needed. Just wish they'd get on with it.

Just my personal thoughts after listening today
Craig

My mum was in residential care for nearly 6 years and I often thought about appealing for CHC to be granted. The main reason that I didn't was because I knew it would be a long drawn out and stressful business with no guarantee of success. My mum died in September and I decided it was now or never so have recently written to the PCT to ask for a review. I found out this week that it will be 18 months before it goes to panel - and I will be amazed if they find in our favour. So, whilst grieving for my mum we have to try to prepare a case and if we don't win at panel stage it could go on for years - and all come to nothing.

I don't know if the waiting time is longer when the person is already deceased but I do intend to try to find out.

branwen

Oct 3, 2010
I caught snippets of this on the news. What wasn't explained in the bit I saw was why CHC was being withdrawn in the LATER stages. I could understand the idea that PCTs are making it harder to obtain to start with but none of the reports really explained how or in what cases it was withdrawn later. Did I miss something?

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Basically they said that in the later stages there was less demand for such intensive care as the sufferer was unlikely to be agitated and disruptive. Least ways that was my interpretation of what they were saying.:confused::confused:

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Someone who doesn't communicate (though sicker) can be scored lower than someone who communicates aggressively or violently.

Hence , you could lose your funding even though your condition has worsened.

CYN

Jan 4, 2008
east sussex
Noel , My husband was assessed for CHC and passed away 3 days later and was refused. i immediately appealed and in their words he was granted CHC IN RETROSPECT .the monies where returned but with no interest , i had learnt from TP that interest was due , i asked and i eventually received this as well. it is a case of don't ask don't get . but i think it should be paid as a matter of right. i did not have to wait too long and just had to present invoices. so you must try .

good luck Cyn

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Noel , My husband was assessed for CHC and passed away 3 days later and was refused. i immediately appealed and in their words he was granted CHC IN RETROSPECT .the monies where returned but with no interest , i had learnt from TP that interest was due , i asked and i eventually received this as well. it is a case of don't ask don't get . but i think it should be paid as a matter of right. i did not have to wait too long and just had to present invoices. so you must try .

good luck Cyn

Yes, I have applied for CHC to be granted retrospectively. I am shocked that it will be 18 months before it goes to panel though.