Why do Alzheimer's sufferers get UTIs?

Feezee

Oct 20, 2009
South West
My dad's got a urine infection and I've started to think about it.

I wonder - Do elderly people without Alzheimer's get infections as easily and why do Alzheimer's sufferers who are elderly get them more (if they do)?

Is it down to hygene or something else (he's in a home and is now incontinent and wears pads all the time).:confused:

Thanks
Feezee

jayne-b

Sep 7, 2009
Staffs
Hello Feezee, sorry to hear about your Dad, hope he has had urine sample tested so correct antibiotics can be prescribed.

I think uti's affect all elderly people, mostly a mechanical thing, not fully emptying bladder leading to a build up and ground for bacteria to breed, I would assume that not being cleaned correctly would also not help.

Possible becuase of dementia patients not being able to recognise and report the early warning signs, pain itching, it develops into a full blown infection possibly with fever, the resulting infection and fever causing the increased confusion

I hope he is better soon

jxx

Last edited:

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
The elderly in general are more subject to UTI's, as on average their immune systems are weaker, their bladders etc have a reduced mechanical function, the diet tends not to be as good and so on.

People with dementia can be particularly vulnerable because their hygiene tends to be poor and in the later stages incontinence or retention can become a problem.

Also, I think that in dementia patients a UTI can become very obvious because of the effect it has. I am sure that there are many cases of UTI's that go unreported and untreated simply because they produce either no symptoms at all, or minor ones.

UTI's will mainly resolve by themselves, and for many people the infection involves at most a little dicomfort or a frequent need to go to the loo.

In all ages women are much more prone to UTI's and men, simply because of the differences in their urinary systems - in essence a man's bladder is much further away from the points of entry for infection.

Of course, we males don't have it all. We have prostates and women don't!

Feezee

Oct 20, 2009
South West
Thanks both for your replies. Useful information. It makes sense.

Luckily the home picked it up quickly and tested his blood and have got him on to a course of specific pills for it. They were pretty on the ball, which I am happiliy surprised about. AND they phoned me this time to tell me. (Last time he had a chest infection and they didn't bother warning me before I visited so I was in shock at his overall state).

I think generally his cleanliness levels are much better than they were before he went in to the home (10 months ago now) but of course he can't now recognise any signs as you said and is incontinent so there's definitely loss of control and lack of fully emptying no doubt.

Fingers crossed the pills will kick in quickly and he won't lose any more functioning due to this.
Take care
Feezee

jayne-b

Sep 7, 2009
Staffs
Feezee, good to hear the CH are on the ball, and yes far better to be warned, the deterioration with infections can be drastic and is such a shock if you are unprepared. I hope your Dad picks up now he has ab's.

Take care
jxx