Alzheimers Society NHSCC Volunteer Support Group

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
My mum died on September 16th and we are now considering applying for NHS Continuing Care funding retrospectively. My sister emailed the support group at least a couple of weeks ago to ask for advice but has had no reply. She tried phoning them today but it went through to a recorded message which did not allow her to leave her own message! I have just emailed them myself and will see if I get a reply.

I just wondered if anyone else had been in touch with them and had a response or if anyone is aware of any problems?

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Hi Brenda

First of all, I'm very sorry to hear about your mum.

I'm sorry too that you've had problems getting in touch with the Society's NHS continuing care support group. As you know, this group is made up of volunteers, so if people are ill or away on holiday, there may sometimes be short delays with response times.

Sending an email, as you have done, is probably the best way to reach the group. If you wanted to find out more, you could also try contacting the AS National Dementia Helpline, as the helpline team work quite closely with this group of volunteers. You can contact the helpline on 0845 3000 336, or by emailing helpline@alzheimers.org.uk.

For anyone else who may be interested in contacting our NHS continuing care volunteer support group, you can read more about their service here: http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scrip...categoryID=200310&documentID=398&pageNumber=1

I hope you manage to speak to someone soon.

Best wishes,

Katherine

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Brenda:

I am sorry you had no reply but I am sure this is unusual. When I needed them some 2 yrs ago I got a response within hours.

Please perservere as my supporter was wonderful with me.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Thanks for your replies Katherine and Jan.

My sister has now emailed them twice and phoned them once and had no response. I have also emailed them without any acknowledgement. I will try to phone them next week if I feel up to it.

They do ask you to tell them what PCT you come under when you email them. I wonder if this has anything to do with the reason for them not replying ie do they try to get someone who has had dealings with the same PCT to reply? Even if that was the case it does seem pretty poor to ignore 3 emails even if they are unable to help!

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am sure you have already got this but attaching the link where it explains what details they require.
http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=398

I did name our PCT and the person allocated to us was not familiar with it, but she was relatively near geographically. We never met then just had long phone calls. By chance I have met her since our Appeal.

I am still surprised you have not had a reply.

Samantha

Jan 19, 2005
London
NHS Continuing Care Volunteer Support Group

Dear Brenda

I have recently taken on the role of Alzheimer's Society contact for the NHS Continuing Care Volunteer Support Group. I am very sorry that you and your sister did not receive replies to your emails. Unfortunately you were not alone. We had some technical problems with the NHSCC email address, which have now been sorted out. This has meant that a number of emails were unanswered, which I know is a real problem for the people who are seeking support.

However, normal service has now resumed. As Jan kindly said the volunteers that give their time so generously to support people in NHS Continuing Care cases provide a wonderful service. I know that they are very well organised and, when not hampered by these problems, respond to people very promptly.

Thanks very much
Samantha

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Dear Brenda

I have recently taken on the role of Alzheimer's Society contact for the NHS Continuing Care Volunteer Support Group. I am very sorry that you and your sister did not receive replies to your emails. Unfortunately you were not alone. We had some technical problems with the NHSCC email address, which have now been sorted out. This has meant that a number of emails were unanswered, which I know is a real problem for the people who are seeking support.

However, normal service has now resumed. As Jan kindly said the volunteers that give their time so generously to support people in NHS Continuing Care cases provide a wonderful service. I know that they are very well organised and, when not hampered by these problems, respond to people very promptly.

Thanks very much
Samantha

Hi Samantha

Thanks for your reply. My sister has now had a reply to her original email and I have also had an email and am expecting a phone call tonight (with thanks to Jan for her intervention which made this possible).

I will keep everyone posted on how it goes, although I am not anticipating a speedy resolution!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trey0407