...oh no! - not another one!!

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Just had a call to say David has had yet another seizure - this one lasted 5 minutes - which sounds like a dreadfully long time to me! This makes three he has had in two weeks!

I am just off to the Home - this is a nightmare!!!

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh Sue. It really is a nightmare. I only wish the best, whatever that may be, for both of you.
Love xx

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Sue I am so sorry to hear that David has had yet another siezure things seem to be running parallel with my Trev They have prescribed epillim and limotrigne and the combination seems to be helping to control things,5 mins does indeed sound a very long time, , lets hope no lasting effects result from this, keep us updated please ,and look after yourself love Pam

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Sue am so sorry to hear this. it is a long time.
is David on any meds to help prevent seizures,
sending you love and hugs

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Sue - I know you said he was on Sodium Valproate but if it's not controlling the seizures then you may need to push the prescribing doctor to consider alternatives. There are many available, some of which are used more commonly in stroke induced seizures than sodium valproate. Doesn't mean they will work any better, of course, but there are options that could be tried.

You also said that they have diazapam. Have they tried giving him the that? After all 5 minutes is what I would call an emergency.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Sue,

Just to let you know that I'm thinking of you both.

love xx

Bronwen

Jan 8, 2010
Bristol
Sue, what a nightmare you are both having. I do hope the Drs can settle David with perhaps new medication.You must be so worried and upset..I hope you have lots of support from family and friends..but the worrying still goes on I'm afraid.

Please keep us updated and try to take care of yourself.

love
Bronwen x

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Hi all

Just got back from a day at the home with son Jamie.

David was really tired and I sat there for two hours with him and eventually he woke up and was trying to talk but none of it made any sense. Eventually he returned to his 'normal' state and we sat in the garden for a while.

The GP has just been to visit and they are immediately increasing his Sodium Valproate from 200mg twice a day to 300 mg twice a day - hopefully this will do the trick - if not I will ask them to try an alternative.

I feel absolutely shattered and very concerned as I am booked to go away at the end of October for a week with the kids - I shall spend the whole time worrying about David especially as Jamie will be with me and normally he would be at home looking after David.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
From what I've read, that's a fairly low dose for an adult male, so hopefully upping it will make a difference.

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Yes,Jennifer, I hope so too.

They have just phoned to say they have done a urine test and there is no UTI and tomorrow they will be doing bloods. I must say the home are extremely good at keeping me up to date with what is going on - having said that every time their name comes up on my phone it makes me flinch!!

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Sue:
I join the others in hoping the increased medication will help.

Hopefully you will go away knowing that things have stabilised.
You certainly need a holiday now.

Take care

dancer84

Dec 24, 2009
North East Eangland
So sorry Sue to hear your news and I hope the increased medication will settle things down so that you can go away for a break with an easy mind. You need the break.
Thinking of you and sending you hugs.
love
Anne x

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
I visited David again today and he seems OK - but always does immediately after a seizure. They eventually managed to get some blood after the third attempt and we shall wait and see what the results of the tests are.

However, one thing I have noticed recently is that he does not seem able to sit up properly in a chair - he keeps sliding down. Also he seems to be dribbling an awful lot.

Are these things 'normal' in Dementia and what can be done to keep him in the chair?