Wheelkchair advice please!

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
I visited David today and it has become very obvious that I am no longer able to take him for the walks he so enjoyed in the past. He stumbles over kerbs and is very unsteady on his feet.
One of the residents at the home (he himself is in a wheelchair for different reasons) suggested I ask if it was possible to maybe borrow a wheelchair for say half an hour a week to take David out.

The home are happy to do this but think that as David is so tall and heavy a 'normal' wheelchair would not be suitable.

I have no knowledge of wheelchairs at all, I don't want to go out and spend a fortune on one that is unsuitable and wonder if any of you can give me any advice/tips. David is approximately 6'1" and weighs I suppose about 14 stone and has very long legs!!!

All suggestions would be most appreciated.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Sue

Our OT arranged a wheelchair for Dhiren. I would ask the home to see if an OT can visit and advise of a suitable wheelchair.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I second Sylvias suggestion. The OT will be able to measure him and get a wheelchair which is suitable for his height and build. This should be supplied free of costs. I had one for Ken but found it was too heavy to get in and out of the car by myself and so trawled the internet for a lighter weight one.

xxTinaT

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I know that Larivy has one for her mother with a power pack attached so that it is user friendly. I'm sure she'll tell you about it when she's online.

Love

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
I also agree you should get an OT to get you one. They come and measure the person, guesstimate weight and you get a wheelchair designed for individual needs.

sunny

Sep 1, 2006
Yes I would agree get advice from an OT before you borrow or buy or rent . Also are you able to push one, because it is not easy, my Mum was quite average in size but with quite long legs, but my goodness when I was pushing her along the very uneven rough pavements there seem to be now, it was quite an effort and I thought I was quite strong, it is quite easy to tip somebody over and also she did try and sometimes get out when we were going along which didnt help matters and also you have to watch their legs because sometimes their legs drop down as you are going along. You might have another member of family or friend who is quite strong who could push for you but do bear that in mind and also the weight of it when you fold it and lift in and out of the car.
Initially I rented one from the British Red Cross local branch to see how I got on. Sometimes you have to wait a long time for an OT and for Mum it was going to take too long so I just bought one. Mind you once you are set up with one, it is nice to keep going out for a breath of fresh air and change of scenery. Mum used to really enjoy it.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?categoryID=200192&documentID=157

http://shop.redcross.org.uk/shop/subsection.asp?id=93367

and the other things to watch is when you get one, that it is just for your husband because I wanted to take Mum out once when she was in the home and found that the home had let Mum's chair to somebody else's relative so they could take them out for a while so I had to have a gentle word with the staff.

Last edited:

PostTenebrasLux

Mar 16, 2010
London & Oxford
Hello Sue,

In addition to above, for times ahead. we have found a reclining back most helpful for comfortable resting/sleeping (rather than disturbing). It also enables stuffing a pillow behind for better head control.
A footrest in one solid piece across (rather than one plastic "belt") is preferable to two separate foot rests: this helps to reduce the feet from falling out of the rests and drag on the ground.
A large lightweight/waterproof nylon pocket at the back for wipes, drinks, little blanket etc are useful on your outings.
A zip-up/velcro, machine washable, full body blanket is easier/neater to deal with than blankets that don't quite cover and slip endlessly.

Hope this helps a little.
Martina

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Sue . I have had a nightmare trying to get a wheelchair that suited Trevs needs, 2 were made to measure by wheelchair services after 6 months still not right. purchased a power pack about £500 which makes pushing so much easier, but not allowed to attach to provided chair , so am looking to purchase our own, have found a Rascal we go chair attendent controlled and not to expensive, think it would be good for you, but try before you purchase any chair. there is a lot of pressure selling out there, We have a cheap loaned one at mo and is better than any of the special one which Trev was measured for, think it is just trial and error . oh and try and get one with brakes , have had a few hairy times on steep hills or subways. Hope you manage some days out, I can get Trev on buses with their new ramps, much easier than trying to put Trev in the car. hope this as helped Pam

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Sue
Don't be tempted to buy one of those cheap lightweight folding ones, they may fit nicely in your boot and are not heavy,BUT they twist every where when someone is in them

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Hi sue it is proberly best to ask the ot about one but it might take some time
the mnd association have lent me one with a power pack which I find easier because of my shoulders also it comes off chair so it's easy to put in boot red cross might be able to help untill you sort one out love larivy

PostTenebrasLux

Mar 16, 2010
London & Oxford
Sue,
in the meantime, places like Waitr..se and M&sssssssss lend one for your shopping duration which is quite helpful (especially the latter if you need to shop for clothes/etc in addition to food). Also some National Trusts have one but from experience, you need to reserve it beforehand.
Martina

imac.girll1

Feb 20, 2009
Glasgow
I appreciate it might not be at shopping centres that you want to use them, but most of the time they have Shopmobility and you can join there and they have a huge variety of styles etc for all shapes and heigths of people. if we are going to a shopping centre then i dont take my own i get a shopmobility plus you get the parking right at the entrance rather than the other side of the place!!!!

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
My goodness - I didn't realise how complicated wheelchairs were!
Thanks so much for all your advice - I shall speak to the home about an OT and also the Red Cross sounds like a good idea.

I am concerned about how I am going to manage to push David once he's in a chair. I think we will just stick to short journeys near the home and not attempt putting one in the car. I had a hard enough job getting David in and out of my car recently and haven't tried it again since - really don't think I could cope with him and a wheelchair.

I shall start the investigations today.

dancer84

Dec 24, 2009
North East Eangland
Hi Sue
Yes, I second the comment from someone that you can hire them from the Red Cross. I did it quite a number of years ago when my daughter injured her leg while at Uni.
Love
Anne xx

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
As an extra, I really think all us newbie wheelchair pushers should be given driving lessons.

In the early days poor mum got bumped around quite a bit and almost ended up in the bushes once or twice.

I cannot even begin to describe the mess we got into when I was pushing her whilst holding on to our mad collie dog on a lead at the same time :(

She loves it though

DSCF8477.JPG

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Hi Sue

I'm most impressed - did the firemen come with the chair:D:D:D - or did you need them to push it:D - either way I'm getting more excited by the idea by the minute;)

Your mum seems to be thoroughly enjoying herself too;);)

Love