Pocket contents?

sully.

Jan 7, 2010
uk
What things have you found in your loved ones pockets since they have been ill?

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Sully, my mum has been gone a year and a half, but she used to have a formidable number of tissues in her pockets, and in her bag, and around her bed, and under her pillow and down the side of the bedside cabinet.... I could go on. :) In fact she must have kept Kleenex in profit for many years.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren didn`t keep anything in his pockets sully. He forgot he had pockets and needed everything on view where he could see it.
It is why he kept `losing` his wallet and his keys.

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
I can tell you what I have'nt found! A dirty great retractable dog lead that Gary went out with when he took a dog out and he assures me he came back with but has disappeared off the face off the earth! :D

Resigned

Feb 23, 2010
Wiltshire
Hi Sully

My mother also had a huge number of folded tissues, toilet paper and kitchen towels in all her pockets, and bags, under pillows, down the sides of chairs and clutched in her hand. What is it with tissues and folding and this illness!

R

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Ugh tissues....

My Mum adores the darned things and yet when it comes to blowing her nose insists on a traditional cotton hankerchief! I have mentioned before how she always collects the serviettes off one of the day centres she goes to, maybe it's the colour as the use deep red ones? She also wraps any small itemes in tissue and secures it with rubber bands, things like a few coins, or a five pound note, a handful of ponytail bands or hairgrips, a few tissues wrapped in tissue:eek:, the worst thing she ever wrapped up was he hearing aid it took me days to suss out what she had done and find it among all the litte wraps. If the police broke in they would think she is selling cocaine lol! Most of the packages are also of very similar size and shape even if this means using extra tissue to get them that way which I find really amazing.
The worst things I have found in her pocket have been half eaten cakes, and once this was the very worst - a doggy bag - with contents! That won't happen now though as she can nolonger manage her dog.

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
My Mum also has hoards of tissues!! When she could still walk unaided we could find her by following the trail of tissues around the house, now she just has them all around her, down the sides of the settee, bed, and wherever she is being taken :D :D
Nanak
missing what has gone and scared of what is to come

Mother doesn't use tissues - just paper kitchen towel instead. And scatters them around, in her bed and under the pillow, in every pocket she has, etc. Occasionally I manage to do a wash without finding one ... but fortunately they don't disintegrate like tissues and emerge soggy but more or less intact from washing machine (good advertising line that - though I can't remember what brand the current lot is!).

Our main problem is her diary which unfortunately she DOESN'T keep in a pocket - just puts it down, moves off, panics because she can't find it. It's like a comfort blanket. I suggested sticking a dayglo pink sticker on it to make it easier to find, but she objected. Once I found it tucked up the sleeve of her jumper!

Pam

wispa

Nov 5, 2009
Mmmmmm....

In my Mums Pockets are usually tissues as per everyone else with Dementia it seems :)

But ...her handbags were a different matter....and I say handbags because she also had a thing for handbags which meant she had thirty or so of the damn things, which meant she could never find the one she was using and therefore could never find anything she wanted!

The contents of the handbag where unbelievable!..

i.e., dog nail trimmers, several pairs of scissors, wallpaper scrapers, hanging basket chains (lots of in various bags!), kitchen knives, kithchen spoons and every piece of half important post she received, along with keys, keys and more keys (don't even know where she got them all from!)..... No wonder they were all so heavy.

XXX

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
another vote for tissues. Didnt realise it was so common.

She also seems to need to dab her nose quite regularly with them when eating. Does anyone think this is an AD thing, as I am sure she hasnt had an on-going cold for the last 6 years :(

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Mum has everything from her handbag in her makeup bag and everything from her make up bag in her handbag. She always has at least 7 napkins she has taken from various places but best thing is glasses which she has picked up from all over the place. 5 pairs :eek:

RobertE

Jan 10, 2008
Tissues

I am encouraged to learn my mum is not alone in her tissue hoarding habit. Each time I visit I can easily fill a carrier bag full. She is also a devil for wrapping things up in them - I very nearly threw away her small gold watch and I now check each one carefully.

catbells

Jun 14, 2010
Cambridgeshire
Can someone explain why this type of behaviour happens. My Mum`s bedside cabinet is full of chocolate bars, not just for herself, but everyone from me - doctors-nurses-consultants- anyone who helps her gets a bar of choc. I suppose this is a "thank you" - but my Mum seems also now to have to take something from wherever she visits which can and has proved very difficutl. WHY, What`s going on!

I`ll start checking her pockets too now I`m aware of this.

Yours intrigingly!
Heather x

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Hi, tissues are much in demand around here too, and napkins from everywhere and anywhere, nose dabbing is a favourite too. I really try to get all of them out of pockets, sleeves, socks and underwear before I put a wash on, is it me or do I only seem to miss one of two when it's black t-shirts going through :rolleyes:
Best wishes, Jo

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
It's cotton hankies here. FIL insists on one in each trouser pocket at all times of the day and under his pillow at night. Some days he can't walk passed the the coat hooks without checking all our coat pockets, looking for hankies :)

He also requests paper tissues, kitchen paper, with every meal and simply tears them up and throws them away.

What is the tissue paper thing all about?

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
He also requests paper tissues, kitchen paper, with every meal and simply tears them up and throws them away.

My mum use to be so thrifty, Christin, that she would split up a two ply tissue and use it one ply sheet at a time. :)

Resigned

Feb 23, 2010
Wiltshire
It is good to know that this is completely normal behaviour! I forgot to say that if my mother thinks she doesn't have enough tissues, she tears them up to make smaller ones. Also collects paper napkins from wherever we have been, to tear up, fold up and store somewhere about her.

It's a very curious habit.

R

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Yes, thrifty was the main word :) At one time FIL kept every screw and nut and would pull nails out of old bits of wood incase he needed them one day. I guess it was to do with their generation and how poor they were. Now every thing goes in the bin or down the loo :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smattels