Broken hip: unfit for rehab

mike004

Jun 10, 2010
My mum suffered a broken hip 3 weeks ago. The "half-hip" replacement was a success, and the leg is now physically OK and she is ready to come home soon.
The problem is that the hospital physios have made zero progress on getting her to walk. She just refused. This is not unexpected, as even prior to the accident she would refuse point blank to get out of her chair. Once we got her up and walking she could walk OK for nearly a mile unaided.

But the hospital have marked her as "unfit for rehab". No further physio sessions, no Zimmer frame, no wheelchair, use a hoist to move her, double the carer visits.

Myself and the rest of the family would like to attempt to get her on the feet again. Physically she has mended but refuses to walk in the hospital environment. I feel like she is destined to be confined to bed a bit prematurely.

I can't contact the hospital physio at all. They are always "on another ward".
Anyone else been down this road?

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Mike, hello
How very upsetting for you and your family, it's terrible when the professional teams in hospital close down communication and won't listen or help, I hope you get to speak to someone soon. I'm sure someone will be along later who has experience of this. Good luck, Jo

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Mike,

Welcome to Talking Point (TP), though I'm sorry it's under such difficult circumstances.

Having read posts on TP for some time, it certainly does appear that it is extremely difficult to predict what kind of recovery a person with dementia will make following a hip repair.

You might want to look at this recent thread:

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?t=23507

Also you could use the TP search option (on the green bar at the top right) and search on the term physio* (the * ensures you get all terms starting with physio, so both physio and physiotherapist).

Some people might perk up a bit more once they leave hospital, so it's worth asking about assessments for further physio in the future.

You might want to look at the Alzheimer's Society's factsheet on Hospital Discharge to ensure that your mum's needs are fully assessed for her future care before she leaves hospital:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/453

Take care,

huntsu1

Jan 2, 2008
Blackwater
we were in exactly your position in January this year - mum fell and broke her hip in the nursing home - spent 4 weeks in hospital where she refused all efforts by the physios to get her to walk. Once back at the care home they encouraged her and she now walk with a frame with no problems - in fact a couple of times she has been able to get up and go for a wander unaided :eek: I would not give up hope just yet.

mike004

Jun 10, 2010
we were in exactly your position in January this year - mum fell and broke her hip in the nursing home - spent 4 weeks in hospital where she refused all efforts by the physios to get her to walk. Once back at the care home they encouraged her and she now walk with a frame with no problems - in fact a couple of times she has been able to get up and go for a wander unaided :eek: I would not give up hope just yet.

Thats good news. But the hospital won't even give her a zimmer frame as she's "unfit for rehab". Or a wheelchair.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Is she afraid that the hospital floor looks slippy? My father would never walk on anything but carpet incase he slipped.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Very frustrating for you, but do remember that the hospital staff can be placed in a very difficult position. Your mum retains her right to refuse any and all treatment, which includes rehab therapy and physio. The most they can do is gentle encouragement, because anything more would be legally construed as abuse.

The nurses etc have to tread a very fine line, I'm sure they get as frustrated too when they know that someone would make a much better recovery but who won;t co-operate. In the end I guess they do have to give up and move on to the next patient, it sounds brutal and unfeeling but there is an unending stream of patients and they have to eventually decide how to best allocate time and resources.

mike004

Jun 10, 2010
The ward sister gave us a zimmer frame to take home. Apparently, there is no physical reason why she should not be able to walk again. Its having the desire and the cognitive facilities.

We can but try. No response from hospital physio, they have wiped their hands of her it seems.

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
I'm new here

Hello, my name is Mary and I have justed joined after reading this wonderful site for many months.

My mum has VaD, which worsened after a fall 2 1/2 years ago when she spent six very distressing weeks in hospital. Since then she has been frightened to walk and does not understand the need to exercise.

Because for various reasons apart from this she wants to stay in bed whenever she is at home and her mobility is worsening further. When I made enquiries about physio, I was told that they do not consider she has "potential for rehab" and do not do "maintenance", because she will not exercise and would not be capable of joining in a group session, and certainly could not remember what exercises to do!

No help to you, I'm afraid, but just to let you know you are not alone and I understand how you must feel.

Mary